Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sniper#8

Don Cherry blasts Ovechkin on HNIC

im watching hockey night in canada and don cherry is bad mouthing ovechkin the man who has brought tons of notice to the game saying that he thinks his celebrating is uncalled for in my opinion i think its great if you love the game then why wouldnt you celebrate it shows that he actually is plaing for more than a paycheck

Because Don Cherry's old fashioned and doesn't like Europeans. A proper celebration for him is really no celebration at all. Extra bonus points for the guy if he doesn't wear a visor and/or he's Canadian.

Pretty much the whole Coaches Corner after the Leafs game is just a big bash on Europeans by Cherry. Sometimes I just wish Maclean would punch Cherry right in the face. As much as I think Cherry is a total idiot, it's like a flaming train wreck. Just... can't... look... away.

if his name was alex O'connor and he was a "good kingston boy" cherry would be saying "ya see kids, scoring goals is just exciting, don't be embarrassed to celebrate, just don't get cocky." and then he would gaze lovingly at a picture of bobby orr...

The guy is just an idiot and thinks he is the only person that knows what he is talking about. Even if you don't like Ovechkin its sort of hard to bash a guy that brings his "A" game every night and has attempted to make hockey a noticeable sport for people who haven't been into it before. Don Cherry does nothing to grow the sport, so not much sense in listening to him.

The guy is just an idiot and thinks he is the only person that knows what he is talking about. Even if you don't like Ovechkin its sort of hard to bash a guy that brings his "A" game every night and has attempted to make hockey a noticeable sport for people who haven't been into it before. Don Cherry does nothing to grow the sport, so not much sense in listening to him.

As far as I know Don Cherry's done a lot to promote and grow the sport in Canada. In fact I think some people say he should go into the hockey Hall of Fame for what he's done. But he's a love him or hate him guy. I personally can't stand how pro-Canadian and anti-European he is, and just how stubbornly old fashioned he is. Every now and again he'll say something that I agree with, but then he goes off on one of his rants like he did twice last night and he just sounds like a total idiot. The easy way to solve it is to just mute him or change the channel.

im watching hockey night in canada and don cherry is bad mouthing ovechkin the man who has brought tons of notice to the game saying that he thinks his celebrating is uncalled for in my opinion i think its great if you love the game then why wouldnt you celebrate it shows that he actually is plaing for more than a paycheck

at least don cherry uses punctuation.

As far as I know Don Cherry's done a lot to promote and grow the sport in Canada. In fact I think some people say he should go into the hockey Hall of Fame for what he's done. But he's a love him or hate him guy. I personally can't stand how pro-Canadian and anti-European he is, and just how stubbornly old fashioned he is. Every now and again he'll say something that I agree with, but then he goes off on one of his rants like he did twice last night and he just sounds like a total idiot. The easy way to solve it is to just mute him or change the channel.

Yeah grow the game in Canada...because it really needs to grow in Canada. Don't get me wrong, yeah he is a big part of hockey in Canada and in general, but I think he brings more negative comments to the game than positive ones. And I am all for national pride, but hockey is an international sport, so I think he should just suck it up and get over himself. Dude takes himself way to seriously.

Cherry has always been anti-Euro........he purposely pronounces Euro names wrong.......Ovechkin can celebrate as much as he wants...he earns it

I don't understand how Cherry couldn't like Ovie. The guys is tough, scores highlight goals, never stops skating and hits with the best in the league. He's not selfish and loves to pass and score. Just because he puts his hand up and says "I just scored a great goal in the toughest league in the world" isn't a bad thing. He loves to play and gets paid to do it. What's not to like?

I don't understand how Cherry couldn't like Ovie. The guys is tough, scores highlight goals, never stops skating and hits with the best in the league. He's not selfish and loves to pass and score. Just because he puts his hand up and says "I just scored a great goal in the toughest league in the world" isn't a bad thing. He loves to play and gets paid to do it. What's not to like?

I agree. I would think that he would like the intensity that he brings day in and day out. But not everyone can be a fan I guess.

Cherry has always been anti-Euro........he purposely pronounces Euro names wrong.......Ovechkin can celebrate as much as he wants...he earns it

THats not true. He just goes with it and says what he says. He called pronounce patrick roy "roy" instead of "wah" (that was wierd to type, lol) and plenty of other canadians with more difficult names he got wrong.

i could see how people couldnt like him but i think he is something the nhl needed. just like everyone else has said he is an all around player. its not like he is doing anything obscene that is making the nhl look bad, like going into the net after he scores, pulling out the puck, then pull a sharpie out of his skate signing the puck then throwing it to his agent, or pulling the net off the morings and pulling a cell phone out of the hole in the ice. instead he is playing at the top of his game so until then let him do what he wants when he scores, people pay to watch what he does. im a fan

also something that alot of people dont know is when he kisses off the goal and points to the sky which is what he does everytime hes doin it for his brother who died when he was young who took him to hockey everytime and helped him get where he is today so id like to see what don cherry would have to say after he found out what his celebration was about besides scoring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WanjMb1yQY

That's the vid of HNIC where Cherry talks about showboating in the NHL.

What I got from that vid is that it's not so much of a focus on what Ovy does, but it's Don Cherry talking about what he hopes NHL DOES NOT BECOME. He uses examples from European soccer player antics after a player scores a goal and compares that to Ovy's celebrations. He then asks, do you want hockey players acting like that (soccer players)?

He articulates it poorly, but what I infer from what he is saying is that hockey should be about the team and not the individual. Showboating highlights the individual and takes away from the meaning of team sports. Be humble, speak softly, and carry a big stick. That's a good message to teach young'uns...showboating isn't.

Is Don Cherry nationalistic? You betcha! And good for him, he's saying what many people are thinking. Back in the day when Chelios played for Chicago - we absolutely loved him unconditionally. Why you ask? B/C he's one of us - a Chicago native. Good game/bad game/cheap shots/or goals...everyone loved Chelios in Chicago.

People like rooting for their home team, people like rooting for their home-town guys even more. The way I explain it, it's like the average Joe sees one of his own (guy from same town) and subconsciously thinks to himself "one of us made it". It gives people hope, something to be proud about, and a sense of pride. Having a team full of guys that cannot speak English and all their last names ending in "-ov" or "sky" doesn't do it. Regardless of talent, people will always root for their own.

So that's Cherry's take IMO. He roots for his own. 1st & foremost; Don Cherry is a hockey fan like you and me...and like some of us after a few frosty brews; sometimes he can't keep his opinions to himself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Brett Hull's opinion on goal scoring: "Act like you've done it before and intend to do it again and often."

Ovechkin's goal celebrations often border on 'showing the other team up'.

There is a time to celebrate, and a time to keep your cool, as much as I like OV as a player, he sometimes seems to forget that. There is no way Cherry would condone celebrating like that out of a Canadian player, he took Crosby to task a few years back for pulling the Michigan up 6-0 or something.

I'd agree (partially) with Don if Alex did that only when HE scores...but he does that when ANYONE on the Caps (or Russia) scores. How many times have we heard AO say it:

"I love score goals..."

He loves when he scores...he loves when a teammates scores...he loves assists. He LOVES hockey.

Yes, maybe a little flashier than the purists (like Donald S.) may like...but it's what will sell the game, and get non fans interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WanjMb1yQY

That's the vid of HNIC where Cherry talks about showboating in the NHL.

What I got from that vid is that it's not so much of a focus on what Ovy does, but it's Don Cherry talking about what he hopes NHL DOES NOT BECOME. He uses examples from European soccer player antics after a player scores a goal and compares that to Ovy's celebrations. He then asks, do you want hockey players acting like that (soccer players)?

He articulates it poorly, but what I infer from what he is saying is that hockey should be about the team and not the individual. Showboating highlights the individual and takes away from the meaning of team sports. Be humble, speak softly, and carry a big stick. That's a good message to teach young'uns...showboating isn't.

Is Don Cherry nationalistic? You betcha! And good for him, he's saying what many people are thinking. Back in the day when Chelios played for Chicago - we absolutely loved him unconditionally. Why you ask? B/C he's one of us - a Chicago native. Good game/bad game/cheap shots/or goals...everyone loved Chelios in Chicago.

People like rooting for their home team, people like rooting for their home-town guys even more. The way I explain it, it's like the average Joe sees one of his own (guy from same town) and subconsciously thinks to himself "one of us made it". It gives people hope, something to be proud about, and a sense of pride. Having a team full of guys that cannot speak English and all their last names ending in "-ov" or "sky" doesn't do it. Regardless of talent, people will always root for their own.

So that's Cherry's take IMO. He roots for his own. 1st & foremost; Don Cherry is a hockey fan like you and me...and like some of us after a few frosty brews; sometimes he can't keep his opinions to himself.

You make some very valid points there mate, and I'm in agreeance with a lot of it.

I think Ovechkin is good for the sport, and brings an excitement that has not been seen in a while. I also believe the NHL to be quite drab personality wise as everyone is trying their best to be ultra professional, and doing a good job of it. You need something like this to add some excitement and bring a bit of controversy. I too do not want to see the NHL ending up like the Premier League. I'm a big soccer fan, but the one thing I HATE about it is the individual celebrations which is somehting I was never used to coming from a Hockey background.

but at the end of the day to each their own, and if his teammates have no issue with it then I don't see the problem. Ovie is a little different to the soccer players in that he will embrace his teammates, whereas a lot of professional soccer players will push their team mates away and celebrate by themselves. I think Ovie's is a genuine excitement and elation rather than a celebration of personal skill so let him do it I say :)

He's young, he loves to score and he puts on a show...BIG DEAL. Do I act like that when I score a goal in my crappy beer league? Of course not...I would just look dumb. But I love seeing Ovy get excited about scoring and his whole team is like him and it's fun to watch. I'm a proud canadian too but what Cherry is saying is ridiculous bullshit. Is Crosby a good player? Definitely...but he bores me to sleep. I'm a big habs fan and everytime Kovalev scores I'm always screaming at the tv "CELEBRATE dude..." I know he's scored a lot in his career but jesus christ, if you don't like to score, quit playing. We need guys that can get all these kids to love the game and Ovy is doing just that.

I'd agree (partially) with Don if Alex did that only when HE scores...but he does that when ANYONE on the Caps (or Russia) scores. How many times have we heard AO say it:

"I love score goals..."

He loves when he scores...he loves when a teammates scores...he loves assists. He LOVES hockey.

Yes, maybe a little flashier than the purists (like Donald S.) may like...but it's what will sell the game, and get non fans interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.

If you're counting on goal celebrations to sell the game then it is already too late. What sells the game should be what happens between the whisles.