Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bar_down_21

OHL vs Prep

I need some opinions on what would be better for my son and his hockey future. He's had offers from prep schools in the Founders League such as Taft and Avon and Loomis, but at the same time he got invited to the OHL Cup late in March and has also had looks from teams in the OHL. So my question would be what would be best in the long run?

Thanks for any opinions.

He plays for a team that has made it to Nationals the past two years, and have lost in the Semifinals both times. And we have talked to scouts through e-mails and a few phone calls, and they have given us a scouting report, which was pretty good. But other then that they say they will watch my son play at the OHL Cup and other tournaments over the spring/summer.

I am probably a little biased being a Jr. A player (tier 2), but if he is serious about hockey, I would see what happens from the OHL guys. You're in a good location for junior hockey, whether its Major or minor.

Be very careful, and become very clear about the rules covering your son's NCAA eligibility when dealing with the OHL.

I am by no means an expert in this area, but something like staying over 48 hours in an OHL camp, or something as minor letting them buy you a meal can cost you your eligibilty.

I am sure someone here can direct you to a good source of information, but do your research before doing anything in the CHA.

This is what a lot of scouts say, He'll have a longer time to hone his skills if he went the NCAA route because then he has until the age on 23 or whatever and in the OHL he only has until 20. Therefore if an NHL team showed interest and lets say they drafted him, but then i couple years later when hes 20 and they don't think hes good enough to play pro in the AHL or ECHL where is he going to play? Same thing goes for size, if hes small he could grow and bulk up more in NCAA route. Unless he is a top notch prospect, i personally thing he should play prep and build his way up to NCAA. Theres no way I'm being biased as I'm a Canadian.

For more information on what I was talking about, there was an article in The Hockey News Future Watch magazine that will be out March 9

As someone who has played both Div. 1 prep and Tier II Junior A:

If he has legitimate talent with the ability to go pro (NHL, AHL, etc.) then the O is the way to go. However, this will make him ineligible to play in the NCAA.

If he wants to play in college, absolutely Prep.

Hockey-wise, the O is better hockey, but Prep isn't exactly chopped liver, they regularly place players to D-1 rosters as I am sure you are aware... Blake Wheeler is a recent example of a Prep player in the NHL.

They invite a lot of guys to the OHL Cup showcases. Just because he's been invited doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is REALLY interested in him. Kinda like the EJ teams that send-out invites to 80% of AAA hockey players between the ages of 15 and 17 in the northeastern US.

Have you heard anything from any of the Canadian teams in The 'Shoe? You might want to think about giving them a look; it's decent hockey. There is some talent in the league (Daultan Leveille - currently at Michigan St.; was drafted in the first round last year straight out of St. Kitts - and now Riley Sheahan is going to be making the jump to Notre Dame next fall, and is also holds a pretty strong ranking for the 2010 NHL Draft). There are plenty of OHL prospects in the league, including a bunch of kids who made OHL clubs early in the year, but decided to play in The 'Shoe where they would see more ice. One of my teammates played a few years of Prep for one of the schools named, and actually had some difficulty adjusting to the pace and style of play when he first came home.

Ultimately, at 16, he's got some developing to do. Playing in the GHL would offer him a chance to play quality hockey while remaining close enough that he could actually live at home if he so chooses. After a solid year there, he could crack an OHL line-up, or finish two or three years and try the NCAA route.

I am biased because I am a product of the Founders' League, but I'm an advocate of the Prep route. More so than just hockey, I learned so much academically and about maturity and how to live life at prep school that the experience was invaluable. That being said, even if you and your son do decide that the Junior route is better for him I would recommend looking at the USHL more so than the OHL. The quality of hockey is pretty comparable and with the USHL you keep the college route open. More and more USHL players are being drafted every year.

Unless your son is going to rack up some big contracts and be able to retire from the NHL with a huge bank account, the prep route is probably the better way to go. As mentioned, it preserves the college track and provides a good educational foundation for the future. I would just be very careful about limiting his future by picking the OHL track.

Go Prep, if he can go to Avon and skate for coach Gardner he will become a great player, in addition he will open up a whole world of networking opportunities that come with being an AOF Alumni, great education, good hockey, produces pro players, and god forbid something happens injury wise to your son he won't just be some dumb kid with no education, he would have an education and something to fall back on incase he isnt one of 10000 that makes it pro.

I'd say go O, if he is good enough to make a roster and play a few years in the O, then he is all set for his education. As OHL teams pay for you to go to college in Canada for every year you played in the league. Best idea would be to go out and watch a few OHL games and have him really see if he thinks that this is a league that he can play in next year. Good luck with your decision and let us know what the finally decision is!

As you can see there are deeply divided opinions on this matter; Juniors vs. Prep is a pretty big debate in some hockey circles. Either route can be better depending on your child, his goals, and his character/personality. I do think it would be safe to go to the camp to gauge interest in your son, you can always still enroll in a prep school.

Personally I would think the size of your son right now should be considered in making this decision

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I think size is an important factor here. If he has it already, that's probably an extra feather in his cap towards the big leagues.

Blake Wheeler did not play "prep" hockey. He played HS hockey in MN for the Breck School, which isnt like Shattuck St Mary. SSM fields a "prep" team, but Breck fields a varsity hockey team which is sanctioned by the Minnesota State HS Athletic Association, unlike Shattuck which is a boarding school. Wheeler also played in the USHL, which is considered the best junior league in the US. If your son is 16, a good player.. He may be better suited to playing in the USHL if he really wants to step it up a notch. He'd just have to move to the midwest/upper midwest and play in places like Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines, Waterloo etc...Most of the top tier Minnesota/WI kids play in the USHL.

As someone who has played both Div. 1 prep and Tier II Junior A:

If he has legitimate talent with the ability to go pro (NHL, AHL, etc.) then the O is the way to go. However, this will make him ineligible to play in the NCAA.

If he wants to play in college, absolutely Prep.

Hockey-wise, the O is better hockey, but Prep isn't exactly chopped liver, they regularly place players to D-1 rosters as I am sure you are aware... Blake Wheeler is a recent example of a Prep player in the NHL.

There are pros and cons to both routes. Going the junior route, on average, is the quicker route since players get acclimated to the longer schedule and travel similar to the pros. However, prep then college is a good route if a kid needs more time to grow and round out his game. Each player is a different situation and goals, both short-term and long-term, should be considered.

I would say he should try and go for the OHL spot. Both are very good opportunities, but I feel that he would get more recognition if he makes it into the OHL at such a young age. The prep school would give him a chance to wake up and play hockey everyday, but the OHL is a sweet deal to pass up.

If he goes to the OHL, as others have said, he's basically tracked for pro hockey. The OHL's university scholarship options are not even close to full-ride, and downright deceptive in some ways. The second you sign a pro contract, you lose all OHL educational funding you've built up. Whether it happens when he's 18, 19 or 20, he'll have to make the choice between putting hockey on hold for school and actually turning down a pro contract, or throwing away that funding.

If hockey is that one thing that he'll ever do, and he's basically a shoe-in for a good career here or in Europe, the OHL may be great. If there are any doubts, or he wants any kind of a fall-back, he should go the scholastic route. It's a difficult choice, and you've got to be honest about your son's athletic and intellectual abilities.

Funny, my friend is 16, and is in the same situation regarding prep schools. Does he play for CHS? I would say go to the prep school, because if he does not make it big, he needs to make money, and live in the real world........

i played at a prep school with two kids who had the exact same decision to make. One a 89 birthyear chose to go to prep school. Came in, had a great season, got a full ride to Clarkson and was drafted in the 5th ruond by the Detroit Red Wings. The second is a 90 birthyear. He played one year of Prep and is now playing in the USHL as Des Moines 1st leading scorer. Also has a full ride to Boston University and will be drafted somewhere this year.

I know its a little biased but i would say take the collegiate route. from talking to my goalie coach Steve Mckickhan, he had the option to do either and chose college and in talkin to everyone he knows around the pro hockey world he has told me that as an overall consensus the college route seems to be more enjoyed in the long hall (meaning looking back on it later on in life). And this also gives you more time to develope as you can be a 21 year old freshman in college hockey while your done with the OHL by that very age.