Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldNSlow

.5 difference in lie

Sorry is this has been discussed a million times. There are simply too many results of "lie" to search through so I started a new topic.

My question is whether a .5 difference in lie would be very noticeable.

Some people pay no mind to lie and are able to adapt without any problems, others notice a .25 difference in lie and completely changes their ability. Lie is the single most important factor when determining the correct blade as it could make or break your ability to handle the puck. I say give it a go and see for yourself :)

Sorry is this has been discussed a million times. There are simply too many results of "lie" to search through so I started a new topic.

This is definitely a PP question. For me, a .5 change used to completely screw me up and I couldn't make the adjustment. But I have gone from a lie 4.75 to a lie 6 over the last 2-3 years. Either I am skating differently or just learned to adjust. The other main factor to consider is the rocker, which affects how, and where, the blade lies on the ice.

Really the only thing to do is try it out and see. Typically a lower lie suits players who skate lower to the ice, stickhandle further out in front of them, and/or use a longer stick. A higher lie often suits players who are taller, skate more upright, and stickhandle closer to their skates. In general I find that most of the players playing with the wrong lie are using a lie which is too high.

I still dont have a clue what my "proper lie" should be? I have sticks that i rotate with lie all over (mainly 5-5.5)

Any method to determine "proper lie"

I still dont have a clue what my "proper lie" should be? I have sticks that i rotate with lie all over (mainly 5-5.5)

A good indication of your "proper" lie is the wear of the tape on your current blade. If the tape wears more at the heel of the blade, you need a lower lie. If the majority of the wear is at the toe area, you need a higher lie

Total idiot question here since I really don't know much terminology when it comes to sticks... But just what aspect of a curve is the "lie" and what does the number represent?

Lie

The lie of a stick refers to the angle between the shaft and the blade. A lie value of 5 corresponds to a 135° angle, and each additional lie value corresponds to a 2° smaller angle.[1] With the bottom of the blade flat on the ice, a higher lie value causes the shaft to stand up straighter. Typical values range from 5 to 7; most sticks now are near 5.5. Goalie sticks typically have a lie between 11 and 15.[2]

Players usually seek a lie that will put the blade flat on the ice while they are in their typical skating stance. Hall of Fame center Wayne Gretzky, for example, used a stick with a low lie to correspond with his deep skating crouch and shorter height, whereas Hall of Fame defenceman Rod Langway used a stick with a very high lie number as he was very tall and tended to skate in a very upright position.

I actually had to google it when I started playing hockey not too long ago.

This is definitely a PP question. For me, a .5 change used to completely screw me up and I couldn't make the adjustment. But I have gone from a lie 4.75 to a lie 6 over the last 2-3 years. Either I am skating differently or just learned to adjust. The other main factor to consider is the rocker, which affects how, and where, the blade lies on the ice.

Really the only thing to do is try it out and see. Typically a lower lie suits players who skate lower to the ice, stickhandle further out in front of them, and/or use a longer stick. A higher lie often suits players who are taller, skate more upright, and stickhandle closer to their skates. In general I find that most of the players playing with the wrong lie are using a lie which is too high.

Would you say the RBK's are true to their lie? Thanks

Total idiot question here since I really don't know much terminology when it comes to sticks... But just what aspect of a curve is the "lie" and what does the number represent?

the angle of the blade (flush against the ice) in relation to the shaft. rocker is the slight curve front to back along the bottom as most sticks are not perfectly flat. this allows manufactuers to 'fudge' a bit between lies as more of the blade will be touching the ice at any given angle than if the bottom was perfectly flat.

Quote flyerman: Typically a lower lie (4-5) suits players who skate lower to the ice, stickhandle further out in front of them, and/or use a longer stick. A higher lie (5.5-7) often suits players who are taller, skate more upright, and stickhandle closer to their skates.

Not to mention, there is no standardized measurement between makers (rockers do not help the issue). Warriors 5 may be Easton's 6 which may be Nike Bauer's 5.5. It's really all over the map :rolleyes:

It's really all over the map :huh:

Which is a big reason why you see so many people out there with sticks that don't quite seem right for them. There really should be a standardized lie rating.

Which is a big reason why you see so many people out there with sticks that don't quite seem right for them. There really should be a standardized lie rating.

That's why the numbers in our pattern DB at the top of the page may not match the manufacturer specs.

There really should be a standardized lie rating.

Yeah, no rocker on the bottom of the blade.

A 5 lie is a 45 degree angle.

Every .5 is 2.5 degrees in whatever direction.

when on the ice, take a stick and hold it the way you like to. if the toe is sticking off the ice then you know the lie is too high for you. If the heel is off the ice then the lie is too low.

when on the ice, take a stick and hold it the way you like to. if the toe is sticking off the ice then you know the lie is too high for you. If the heel is off the ice then the lie is too low.

I guess that really depends on PP too. Some people like to puckhandle with the heel and shoot with the mid/toe at a higher angle, hence the rocker.

The way I settled on a lie at the store is to take the stick and hold it about where you would after cutting it. I got into different hockey stances, shooting, passing, handling, receiving. And as objectively as possible decided which lie felt the most comfortable while keeping the most blade on the ice.

... lots of people try and find out the lie flatfooted and end up getting the totally wrong lie.

Biggest thing I used to see was guys adapting to fit the stick in the store and not assuming their normal skating posture. Then when they get on the ice it doesn't work for some reason.

A good indication of your "proper" lie is the wear of the tape on your current blade. If the tape wears more at the heel of the blade, you need a lower lie. If the majority of the wear is at the toe area, you need a higher lie

Or you can get one of these:

http://www.bbsticks.com/liedetector.htm

I'm sure there is a thread devoted to this invention of BB (Al Iafrate)...

EDIT: Yup, here it is: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...+detector\

I remember getting this about 5 years ago when on the quest for the perfect blade. I measured as a lie 4.5. The problem was that their blades have pretty much zero rocker (hence the "true lie" claim), which I could never get used to since I had played with significantly rockered Bauer, Easton and SWD blades for so long. Great concept [gimmick] though!

i don't need skates for checking lie for some reason...my standing stance with a stick and my skating with a skate is the same...is it true u can get a lil more power on your shot with a higher lie? i'm kinda stuck between a lie 6 or a shorter stick with lie 7

Or you can get one of these:

http://www.bbsticks.com/liedetector.htm

I'm sure there is a thread devoted to this invention of BB (Al Iafrate)...

EDIT: Yup, here it is: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...+detector\

I remember getting this about 5 years ago when on the quest for the perfect blade. I measured as a lie 4.5. The problem was that their blades have pretty much zero rocker (hence the "true lie" claim), which I could never get used to since I had played with significantly rockered Bauer, Easton and SWD blades for so long. Great concept [gimmick] though!

Iafrate didn't invent Black Beauty.

Iafrate didn't invent Black Beauty.

Pretty sure he would promote anything as long as there was a check involved.

I'm a low skater and tend to lean forward with the puck out in front of me. I typically use a modo/forsberg curve (lie 5). I tried using a sakic curve (5.5) on one occasion and I couldn't do anything. Mechanically, I was all messed up. I felt awkward trying to catch a pass and my shot was terrible. For me, the .5 change was significant. If you haven't been using a lie 5 for a long time, you may have an easier time adjusting to the lie differential than i did.

But that could also be the stick length correct? I have 2 sticks with the same lie. One is about 2 inches longer than the other. The shorter one wears about in the middle and the longer one wears near the heel.

Im going to cut down the longer one but I just noticed the difference in where it was wearing.

But that could also be the stick length correct? I have 2 sticks with the same lie. One is about 2 inches longer than the other. The shorter one wears about in the middle and the longer one wears near the heel.

Im going to cut down the longer one but I just noticed the difference in where it was wearing.

Most people don't use sticks that are two inches different in length. Length and lie go hand in hand. The natural assumption is a person has a preferred stick length and changes in lie are made to accommodate that preference.