Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbyun04

NHL '12

So just got my copy. Here is what I hate about this game. There is equipment with upgrade slots for upgrades that can be purchased on XBOX Live. The fake equipment is stupid shit like the Flame stick, Camo Skates, etc...

So just got my copy. Here is what I hate about this game. There is equipment with upgrade slots for upgrades that can be purchased on XBOX Live. The fake equipment is stupid shit like the Flame stick, Camo Skates, etc...

It's a cashcow. Look at PC games like Maplestory and Combat Arms, people will purchase crap like that and will do it often.

It's a cashcow. Look at PC games like Maplestory and Combat Arms, people will purchase crap like that and will do it often.

I can't remember where I read it but I think it has been reported that all of the equipment can be purchased with xbox live points etc OR unlocked for free by reaching certain milestones in the game. I'm not 100% certain this is true but I do remember reading on a number of occassions that this iss how it works.

Also for those interested, IGN has their review up.

But in the same sentence they also mention that some of those milestones are ridiculously hard to reach. I like the roleplaying effect this system has but if it is too hard or takes too much time it is annoying.

They need to adopt an RPG model of leveling (hopefully they did this time around)...it's easier to level early on than it is to level as you get more experienced. So maybe you start at a 72-74 but get up to 80 fairly quickly (maybe in under a season). Then it takes you another season to move up to 84, then it slows down even more. Add in the upgrade slots for hitting milestones and I think you've got a good in-depth BAP mode. If they also make it so you need to prove yourself more to get on a top line, that's even better. So you have to bust your tail for a couple seasons before you get to line up on the top NHL line.

Oh well, I'll still pick it up, just hope they improved the leveling because that's my favorite part of video games (and why I can play RPG's or games like Gran Turismo for weeks).

They need to adopt an RPG model of leveling (hopefully they did this time around)...it's easier to level early on than it is to level as you get more experienced. So maybe you start at a 72-74 but get up to 80 fairly quickly (maybe in under a season). Then it takes you another season to move up to 84, then it slows down even more. Add in the upgrade slots for hitting milestones and I think you've got a good in-depth BAP mode. If they also make it so you need to prove yourself more to get on a top line, that's even better. So you have to bust your tail for a couple seasons before you get to line up on the top NHL line.

Oh well, I'll still pick it up, just hope they improved the leveling because that's my favorite part of video games (and why I can play RPG's or games like Gran Turismo for weeks).

82 games at 20 minutes each (5min periods plus menu and dead time) is 27 hours. Add in playoffs and time spent managing your character, games replayed after the AI decides your goalie won't stop anything, each season is something like 30-35 hours at minimum. That's more than most any other game, and half of a good RPG like FF.

But then there's the people like me who might play 1 or 2 seasons of BeAPro in a year's time, never moving off the same line like that. I played my first season on a low difficulty, broke records and made it to the top line. But one game of no scoring and I have to claw my way back up? And after a season scoring more goals then the rest of the NHL I'm rated as a 76?

I played the next season on a reasonable difficulty where it was a tough game to get a win and I averaged more like .9 PPG. I played 30 games in the AHL as the team's top player and didn't get called up, so I dropped the difficulty, blew out every game, and repeated last season's pile of garbage. Meanwhile the entire team looked different since half the players got traded or didn't sign, so I simmed until the Caps got me on waivers and it wasn't very much different or fun. I haven't played it since.

I'll wait for the word from you guys before I buy 10. If it's pretty similar in the way the leveling and whatnot go I'll wait for a price cut or used copies to start showing up.

Maybe it would be worth the $5 to rent it once and get a BAP started over a weekend, wait until I feel like I want to play it again and buy it. Too bad Marvel UA:2 is out today as well, and my roommate and I are going to devote some serious time into that one. Add in ODST in a week and this is a packed time for games.

Is all the "real" equipment readily available, or are they going to make us buy x:60s or Franchises?

I don't know about franchises but all real equipment is available. It's the stuff that has power boosts you have to buy.

Is all the "real" equipment readily available, or are they going to make us buy x:60s or Franchises?

I don't know about franchises but all real equipment is available. It's the stuff that has power boosts you have to buy.

I was really hoping they wouldn't move to buying things. $60 is enough for a game I don't have any money for "upgrades".

I will also be waiting to hear what everyone thinks of the be a pro mode because I was also upset with the way it worked. I lead the league in scoring by a huge margin, but if I went one game without scoring I got kicked down a line.

Just put it in there is alot of gloves to select for players and alot of goalie customizations like you can paint your goalie stick fully. there are alot of jerseys still to be unlocked like in last years. still only 1 historic team, and there is national league but teams that I've never heard of, and in play now you can play as the prospect team.

so i started be a pro with my own goalie. i was drafted and i went to edit player. how can you change your helmet to one of the teams? they only have custom ones as far as i see

pretty cool, i preordered it from gamestop a while back and when i picked it up today they gave me a slip with the game and a code that gives u kanes winter classic skates stick and glove for free.

pretty cool, i preordered it from gamestop a while back and when i picked it up today they gave me a slip with the game and a code that gives u kanes winter classic skates stick and glove for free.

wanna put the code on????

Got the game, won't play in my Xbox. Returned it went to work, came home, tried again, won't play. Tried it in my brother's system, same problem.....gonna try it out at a friends house...and I kinda hope it doesn't work.

Kane's stick, gloves, and skates that you get from the preorder code can easily be unlocked in game. If you go to the Hockey Shop and scroll over the gloves/stick/skates it will tell you what you have to do to unlock them.

So is it true that they ditched the european teams?

i really liked that. gonna miss playing as avangard omsk.

edit: i just got the game a few minutes ago. all the euro leagues from before are there, except for the RSL/KHL. whats the deal with that?!

Picked it up last night. Overall it seems they made some good chances beyond the demo...I'm not getting plastered to the boards as easily and the AI seems better. And the demo forced me to figure out vision control and manual shooting, so I'm a lot better at that now. Gameplay overall is the best it's been. Goalies are still off, we had 25 shots to maybe 8 and lost 3-2...annoying.

Not as much new equipment as I'd hoped...but that's fine. I really don't like that I'd have to wear a camo helmet or skates with flames to get upgrade slots...I really hope they release a patch so that I can wear normal equipment and still get those upgrades. Although the Titan stick is really sweet.

Some of the unlockables are pretty difficult to do, playing three or four seasons, getting a legend card, but they aren't impossible. I really don't like the idea of people spending microsoft points to bump up their guys though, not sure if it will affect online play or not, but it seems like a cheap thing to me.

They made big changes to the curves it seems, I don't know if they affect accuracy and power like last year but it's much, much easier to hit the net with them. The toe curve is easy to control now rather than shooting high and wide EVERY SINGLE TIME last year. Also did away with flexes, which makes sense so you don't need to make a guy who's 6'8 275 to get a good shot off.

I would like if they shed a little light on the mechanics behind the changes...last year there were stars for slap shot and wrist shot power and accuracy as well as speed, agility, and acceleration. Now we have the same options, but I'm not sure if they make a difference or not.

Kane's stick, gloves, and skates that you get from the preorder code can easily be unlocked in game. If you go to the Hockey Shop and scroll over the gloves/stick/skates it will tell you what you have to do to unlock them.

Do you have to mug a cabby?

what are peoples thoughts on XBOX versus the PS3 version... I am about to buy a PS3 and don't want to be let down (especially since NHL is what I play about 97% of the time on my brothers XBOX)