Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KABAROV

Stupidest off ice injury...?

Hey what was your stupidest off ice injury that kept you away from hockey??

Mine happened just this past friday. Got drunk and punched a door frame. Broke my 5th metacarpal in my right hand. Half cast for 4 to 6 weeks. Hopefully heals up to be fully functional. In the mean time, i have a constant reminder of one evening of stupid behavior. To top it off my girlfriend now refers to me as gimpy.

So lets hear your stupidest/craziest off-ice injury story!

walking around the house, i accidentally kicked a heavy chest and broke my 4th toe... wiped out my summer rec league season.

The stuidest thingh ive ever done is last year, i dove into a 5 foot peel, snapped my arm. I needed surgery to collect the fragments and put the bone together again. Still feel pain when I type or do anything with the arm.

basketball...i somehow fell on a rebound and some 200+ lbs guy landed squarely on my left knee, hairline fracture/meniscus problems, still feel the effects to this day

I limped once for like a day and a half after popping my ankle funny in gym playing field hockey. Come to think of it I've never really been injured outside of hockey. :P

take your pick...

1. flipped a quad through a cement fence post and cracked my helmet thus getting stitches and broke two fingers, my thumb and fractured my wrist.

2. Skim boarding at the beach, just cruisin the shoreline...water washed out...board hit sand, i went flying off broke my thumb from landing on my hands lol.

3. I was young... used to make ramps out of 2 X 4's and plywood. set a kicker and kept jumping higher and higher (on my rollerblades)... decided to try and jump over a truck bed. I had lots of speed, jump was successful, landing was succesful and then i hit a twig and it seized up one of my wheels which resulted in my faceplanting and busted my chin open. (more stitches!)

Working in a titty bar as a bouncer I had a dancer that was extra drunk and while doing a poll trick she fell off the poll onto her head right onto the stage... While stepping up from the floor to the stage to pick her up I ripped my suit pants and pulled my groin which had me out for almost 4 weeks..

take your pick...

1. flipped a quad through a cement fence post and cracked my helmet thus getting stitches and broke two fingers, my thumb and fractured my wrist.

2. Skim boarding at the beach, just cruisin the shoreline...water washed out...board hit sand, i went flying off broke my thumb from landing on my hands lol.

3. I was young... used to make ramps out of 2 X 4's and plywood. set a kicker and kept jumping higher and higher (on my rollerblades)... decided to try and jump over a truck bed. I had lots of speed, jump was successful, landing was succesful and then i hit a twig and it seized up one of my wheels which resulted in my faceplanting and busted my chin open. (more stitches!)

1 and 3 are the stupidest. The 2nd one is not your fault, but I got a laugh off of all three of them. :)

I've accumulated most of my off-ice injuries through other sports - namely baseball; most not serious enough to keep me off the ice for an extended period of time (if at all). Fractured ankle and broken hand are probably pretty high on the list. My worst off-ice injury was probably my sophomore year when a guy got his feet up a bit high sliding into second and put his spikes into my leg just above my kneecap. Wound-up ripping me open pretty good - split my skin WIDE open and cut me down into the muscle. I could actually see my quadriceps. It was pretty fucking cool (I made a pretty good scoop/tag on a ball that our catcher left a bit short - so at least I can say it wasn't in vain)...but it was also the manifestation of knee problems that have plagued me in the years since it's happened. I'll see if I can find any of the Polaroids that the nurses took at the hospital.

The most ridiculous one was probably when my brother accidentally slammed my hand in a car door. Wound-up playing (but not particularly well) in a tournament that weekend with a broken thumb with a fingernail that was about ready to fall off.

Playing pickup basketball. Hanging on the rim after a dunk attempt and only held on long enough to end up in a near horizontal position. Landed on my back and then the back of my head. Half a dozen stitches later....

I left my skate guards on, went down on my arm and separated my shoulder. It hurt pretty bad , luckily it was my right arm and i could still write and everything.

Playing pickup basketball. Hanging on the rim after a dunk attempt and only held on long enough to end up in a near horizontal position. Landed on my back and then the back of my head. Half a dozen stitches later....

did you get on america's funniest videos by any chance :P

JV football game in highschool, sophomore year. Played defensive end, o-line, but i had kicked a lot freshman year. Kicker couldnt make it so i was doing the kickoffs/punts in the game.

Pre-game warm ups, just rained, field was muddy.

Warming up on kickoffs- got lift off my plant foot after a kick. Came down and slipped, put my right arm back to break my fall, literally. Ulna & radius both snapped turning arm up 90* angle (didnt break through skin) and shattered wrist. Couple surgeries, pins, plates, screws. Mobility never the same.

Spent the rest of the season sidelined (but used my sling to hold hotdogs during the game :D!)

did you get on america's funniest videos by any chance :P

No, but I did have a concussion and passed out from shock in the lobby of the emergency room. I woke up with a doctor poking the wound with a needle.

oh ouch >.< what was on the floor?

edit: coz i done that like 3 times...i'm like 6 foot and can just slip the ball in but sometimes crap happens but i never got hurt ^.-

No floor, it was asphalt. We were on the playground next to the high school

I'm only 6-1 and could do it with the palm balls easily, full size was tough for me.

#1. got 7 stitches on the side of my temple when I was checking out some chick's rack on the stairwell in '91. I was going up she was going down and I was leaning over the railing and walking at the same time. #2 Got a concussion when a 3ft double hung window fell on top of my head (think hammer and nail). We had taken out the locks so we could go out on the hospital roof during a spring snowstorm.

Slipped on a patch of ice coming out of a bar after a game and did a split hat would have made the Godfather of Soul proud, while having a conversation about how amazing it was no one got injured that session. I was out of action for a couple of weeks with a groin pull.

No floor, it was asphalt. We were on the playground next to the high school

oh explains everything...use to play on smooth concrete and the gym

#1. got 7 stitches on the side of my temple when I was checking out some chick's rack on the stairwell in '91. I was going up she was going down and I was leaning over the railing and walking at the same time.
Slipped on a patch of ice coming out of a bar after a game and did a split hat would have made the Godfather of Soul proud, while having a conversation about how amazing it was no one got injured that session. I was out of action for a couple of weeks with a groin pull.

these gave me a laugh too