Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BLKHKhockey

Spray painting sticks

Why do players spray paint their stick black? What's the point of painting it black when it's already black/dark? I remember seeing Hossa using a Mission Titanium which he spray painted the bottom 3rd black? A few teamates of mine painted a one95 and an ak27(09) shaft with a Dolomite blade. All are black so what's the deal?

BTW, I searched for previously made topic but found nothing.

I was talking to an employee at the Local Hockey Shop and he said that many pros do this to disguise their sticks. For example, the player might have a contract with Warrior, but really uses an Easton so he needs to spray paint it black so that he is not in violation of the contract. I am not sure if this is true or not.

Some players say it hides the puck....dunno how the shaft is supposed to hide the puck but can't argue with some people's logic.

I've heard some guys do it so their sticks are less likely to get stolen....but that doesn't really apply to the NHL group

Like most of the responses already say, it helps disguise the puck more. It also gets rid of any type of glare caused by the stick's gloss coat. Look at the Nike-Bauer ONE95 line, not only is the stick already black, but the stick offers a dull coat on the lower part of the shaft. This helps eliminate distracting glare.

Personal preference. It doesn't affect me in any way whether I spray a stick or not. I have one SE-16 spray painted up to the "N" of EASTON on the shaft. I'd lie if I said it makes that much of a difference...

I started spraying because I was using a bunch of different brand/color sticks and wanted consistency with all of them. Now I'm used to having a plain bottom of the stick with no shiny graphics or anything on it. One95 sticks make it easier now, and I don't have to spray as much (just the grid on the blade and the pattern name on the shaft).

I was talking to an employee at the Local Hockey Shop and he said that many pros do this to disguise their sticks. For example, the player might have a contract with Warrior, but really uses an Easton so he needs to spray paint it black so that he is not in violation of the contract. I am not sure if this is true or not.

Your not allowed fully black sticks. A lot of sticks are resprayed though like for example say I make the nhl and really like easton synergy se's but sign a contract with warriors, they will just paint my se's like warriors

lol, u spray the pattern name of the shaft too? :lol:

Just on the bottom where it would say P92 or whatever. That's just personal preference :P They almost got it right having the matte black but then they had the pattern name above the blade and then the grid pattern on the heel of the blade. I can look at the name up top to see what pattern it is, I don't need to see it on the bottom as well :D

Some guys even do white spray paint with white tape... I guess, to also reduce glare but at the same time help the stick blend with the white ice.

I just started spraying my shaft/wood blade combo white from the toe about 1/4 of the way up the shaft. I'm hoping it will seal the wood blade a little better to keep the water out. I think having only white in your peripheral vision makes the puck stand out on your blade a little quicker, so maybe a split second less looking down.

I can understand if the stick is some vibrant color, but why sticks like the Mission Titanium/one95? They're both black at the bottom yet players still paint them. I don't understand.

I can understand if the stick is some vibrant color, but why sticks like the Mission Titanium/one95? They're both black at the bottom yet players still paint them. I don't understand.

Maybe because of the glare the arena lights put on it?? That's the only reason I can think of.

Guys do it to black sticks out of habit aswell. I had a vapor xxx and sprayed the bottom 1/3 black, did the same with a one90 and a warrior ak27 even though the shaft was already black

I spray the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 because i hate how gaudy sticks have become these days. The old naked carbon Vapor XX was (imo) the best looking stick ever, and I just got used to that look I guess.

To those who say it hides the puck, pleeeeaaaaase.

I spray the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 because i hate how gaudy sticks have become these days. The old naked carbon Vapor XX was (imo) the best looking stick ever, and I just got used to that look I guess.

To those who say it hides the puck, pleeeeaaaaase.

get a 10k and that will solve your problems

also one of my coaches that used to play in the uhaul (uhl) said that he sprayed the bottom of the stick black during the regular season and then when playoffs came he sprayed them white because of some superstition

I spray painted mine because the shaft and blade were different colors and I thought it looked funny. I just ended up spraying a little of the shaft and the blade black.