Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rebel96

Quitting Hockey

I call it uncle Craig syndrome after an uncle of mine who actually threw chin music at me because I ruined his no hitter during a baseball game at a family reunion. You gotta have a screw loose if you're actually proud of the fact you struck a 16 year old girl out because she can't hit your 80 MPH fast ball.

awesome.

(in a bad way)

The problem with not keeping score is the intensity goes way down. People don't play defense, emotions don't get involved, and there aren't any big goals. It's much, much more fun playing league than it is pickup.

$100 divided by 35 people is about $3 a person per game. I'll pay that for the experience.

The problem with not keeping score is the intensity goes way down. People don't play defense, emotions don't get involved, and there aren't any big goals. It's much, much more fun playing league than it is pickup.

$100 divided by 35 people is about $3 a person per game. I'll pay that for the experience.

On the flip side when you start keeping score people get way too involved. As for playing D, if you get a good group of regulars the defense is going to be on par with league games. In any no check hockey defense is going to be a secondary factor anyway. When you can't check your only options are poke check, try to force a bad pass, or force them to a low percentage shot area. There aren't any "big goals" in rec league hockey, it's rec league hockey. Whatever floats your boat though, mate.

On the flip side when you start keeping score people get way too involved. As for playing D, if you get a good group of regulars the defense is going to be on par with league games. In any no check hockey defense is going to be a secondary factor anyway. When you can't check your only options are poke check, try to force a bad pass, or force them to a low percentage shot area. There aren't any "big goals" in rec league hockey, it's rec league hockey. Whatever floats your boat though, mate.

I feel bad for you, as your experience in league hockey is obviously a poor one. There is no comparison where I play. Pick up is great, but league play is completely different. I will play league any day over pick-up. I have never seen the defense play as hard or responsible in pickup as in league. There most certainly are "big goals" in league...not sure why you think there wouldnt be. You can still play the body in no check league. Keeping score is great....it changes the game....but I guess you dont play in a league like I do where it is run great, with great people who behave appropriately. I can see where you would think as you do if you have a bad league to deal with.

I feel bad for you, as your experience in league hockey is obviously a poor one. There is no comparison where I play. Pick up is great, but league play is completely different. I will play league any day over pick-up. I have never seen the defense play as hard or responsible in pickup as in league. There most certainly are "big goals" in league...not sure why you think there wouldnt be. You can still play the body in no check league. Keeping score is great....it changes the game....but I guess you dont play in a league like I do where it is run great, with great people who behave appropriately. I can see where you would think as you do if you have a bad league to deal with.

Well, it's really the value you feel you're getting out of it. I don't wany anyone to take my comment to mean that everyone should quit league hockey. There certainly are team experiences you just won't get outside of that. For myself, I tend to get that out of rugby a lot more. While I don't necessarily think the league here is well run, it's probably not especially worse than anywhere else. At this point, for me, it's just a value for the money kind of deal.

True. Everyone will have different values, goals, expectations, and levels of commitment for their individual hockey experience.. And each league, and even each team will have different dynamics.

im on the sidelines for a year now because of surgery and i miss it so much, if you are physicly healthy, i see no reason to quit, play less maybe but not quit

same boat, it sucks.

I will never stop playing hockey for 2 reasons.

#1. I love the game. Easily the best thing to do in life.

#2. NO way did I spend all this money to do something and then just let it go to waste.

The thing that really makes me really want to quit is losing interest in hockey especially in gear lol after learning and loving it with a passion now its starting to fade as I grow and pressure in tryouts is what really wants me to quit because of how bad I do.

The thing that really makes me really want to quit is losing interest in hockey especially in gear lol after learning and loving it with a passion now its starting to fade as I grow and pressure in tryouts is what really wants me to quit because of how bad I do.

Competitive sports aren't for everyone, doesn't mean you can't play the game just for the fun of it.

stop being so critical of yourself, if you dont do good, let the chips fall where they may, theres always a place to play if you want to have fun...

There is nothing more fun then to skate with a stick chassing a puck at those speeds, nothing

i dont know about quitting hockey. i have always said that if i can skate and shoot at a somewhat competitive level and it stays fun i will keep playing. even if its shinny with the friends once a week.

once you start thinking about hanging them up though...i think you are starting to lean towards that decision for a reason. what i find really helps when I have had "too much" hockey if that is even possible, is take a 2 week break from it.

i was on the ice 4 times a week non stop since last september

power skating once a week

shinny once a week

games once a week

stick and puck once a week

and that coupled with school and working part time, i realized i was missing out on alot of other things...that i enjoyed doing so i am down to 3 times a week this coming winter and spending more time with friends and family and the gf (except for hockey night in canada, i am not leaving my tv so dont even try, my gf, friends and family know this lol).

if you are thinking of quitting, take a break and see how you feel. if you are itching to get back on the ice after your "break" then keep playing. but if its not fun anymore...then its probably time. as long as the game stays fun and you feel like you are "playing a game" keep on trucking and keep on smiling.

hope this helps. ;) and best of luck with your decision.

since we got eliminated from the playoffs :( ive been on break from 2 weeks and its a well needed rest i guess. cant wait to get back on the ice though =) back in shinny next week woo hoo.

Personally, I think most leagues advertise experiences they just can't (or won't) deliever. Parity, even in smaller leagues, is a joke. In the huge leagues it's just non-existant. I've never played on, against, or watched a rec league team that didn't have players above and below the average skill level by a wide enough margin you could easily figure it out by watching a couple of shifts. The bells and whistles quickly add to the cost of playing, and frankly, does anyone really care how many goals they scored on a rec league team from 5 years ago? The refs and the scorekeeper are what they are, but when you've got two refs at 40 bucks each, and the scorekeeper is 20 bucks, bam: $100 add on to every game. Two 18 minute periods of run time with a 15 minute third period, it's just not that much ice time.

Greater Seattle Hockey League, by any chance? I'm an occasional zebra in that league.

Greater Seattle Hockey League, by any chance? I'm an occasional zebra in that league.

Or Cole's Cash Cow Hockey League if you prefer. ;)

The fifth largest rec league in the US! Yep, that would be the one. I'm not going to comment either way on "Cash Cow", as I do enjoy skating their games and don't want to tick off the powers that be. I mostly skate Everett on Sunday nights for that league with the occasional trip to Olympicview.

I played "Hockey For All" half a dozen times at my local rink in Dundee, but i gave up as i was just crap and had a feeling everyone thought the same.

Dont get me wrong i am at Bronze level of the Skate UK so im a pretty good Skater but as soon as i get my gear on and a stick in my hand i just Suck, plus i reckon im past it at 41. :)

I played "Hockey For All" half a dozen times at my local rink in Dundee, but i gave up as i was just crap and had a feeling everyone thought the same.

Dont get me wrong i am at Bronze level of the Skate UK so im a pretty good Skater but as soon as i get my gear on and a stick in my hand i just Suck, plus i reckon im past it at 41. :)

One of the guys on my team is almost 70

Or Cole's Cash Cow Hockey League if you prefer. ;)

Seriously. QFT

Don't think I will be quiting anytime soon. As a little kid I wanted to play badly but my folks could not afford it. My dad got some used gear from a buddy at work whose kid played AAA. I finally played in an outdoor house league when I was 14. Played a bit in my mid 20's. I stopped for about 11 years. I just started picking it up again when I was 39 and am loving every minute of it. Played this past Summer in a Men's league and our team won our division. I am kicking myself for taking off 11 years. If you quite you will regret it. and in life regret is a useless emotion. Not only is hockey fun but it keeps the weight off for us old guys. Just my $0.02 worth.

I stopped playing when I was 17 and just started again 2 years ago (26). I wish I could play those years tbh

I took about a ten year break but I am glad thats over. I dont know how I went so long without playing.