Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

2009 VMA's

I listen to the music that I like to listen to. This means that I didn't watch, and don't care about, the VMA's. I have my opinion and my iTunes and that's all I need.

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

I hate when people try to excuse ridiculous behavior of famous people just because it is someone they like. The guy made an ass out of himself and his "little prank of stunt" was an awful thing to do. How would you feel if you had just been presented an award and someone jumped up on stage and told the entire crowd and television audience that you didn't deserve it?

As for rap being the most popular genre out there, well, there are fans of other music genres who might have a word or two about that.

* One of the more popular genres. It's with out a doubt up there with rock and hs been for quite some time. I just don't see the big deal i know it was an awful thing to do but is being majorly overblown. He's a celebrity who is known to be rude arrogant and often like that . Who relly cares in the run of a day.

Pink performing on the trapeze was damn impressive...she must be in great shape to be able to pull off that stuff and maintain a strong singing voice. And, she was singing live.

I listen to the music that I like to listen to. This means that I didn't watch, and don't care about, the VMA's. I have my opinion and my iTunes and that's all I need.

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

Only if you say so.

And yes, don't lecture me, I know it's a movie reference.

Pink performing on the trapeze was damn impressive...she must be in great shape to be able to pull off that stuff and maintain a strong singing voice. And, she was singing live.

You know Pink would have kicked the shit out of Kanye if he tried to pull that shit on her.

Only if you say so.

And yes, don't lecture me, I know it's a movie reference.

I actually agree with your post, as it reflects my views too.

Just the "all I need" made me think of that movie and I thought someone might enjoy the quote. :)

You know Pink would have kicked the shit out of Kanye if he tried to pull that shit on her.

I'd pick on Taylor if the other option was Pink too...she looks like a tough chick.

heard that Pink had a nice handbag with an actual pair of brass knuckles incorporated into the design...

Kayne, picking on the easiest prey. Like someone said, Taylor looked like a deer in headlights.

All credit to Beyonce for the classy acceptance and getting Taylor back on stage. I saw Beyonce last year in the Tokyo airport when I was travelling. I wanted to get an autograph, but her bodyguard is one BIG mean mofo.

Anyone have real numbers regarding sales of CD's by genre?

Just so we all arent talking out of our asses.

Rock is dead as far as the labels are concerned. It is far too fractured and is the most likely to be pirated. Manufactured pop and country are the biggest right now.

Rock is dead as far as the labels are concerned. It is far too fractured and is the most likely to be pirated. Manufactured pop and country are the biggest right now.

There was a stat a few years ago (when we were still a country station)...that the only genre still showing a growth in CD sales (while all other formats were failing and moving to downloads) was Country. I assume that has something to do with (insert redneck joke here)....hicks without internet access.

There was a stat a few years ago (when we were still a country station)...that the only genre still showing a growth in CD sales (while all other formats were failing and moving to downloads) was Country. I assume that has something to do with (insert redneck joke here)....hicks without internet access.

Different set of values?

Biggie and Tupac were real talents?

I personally got the impression they were wanna-be thugs that liked to sample other peoples music

I guess the old adage of One Mans Trash is Another Mans Treasure is true.

Tupac and Biggie being talented, just like Kanye being a genius, is surely subjective.

One thing that isnt subjective is that Kanye is a douchebag.

In the case of B.I.G, his wordplay, punchlines and double entendres were, and still are, light years ahead of just about everybody today. His flow, just like Rakim's, was something never seen before. A flow that consisted stretching out every word just right, having the perfect inflection and choice evoked emotion(s) that can never be compared to. Whether you enjoy rap or not, his use of the right rhyme schemes and lyrical devices have to be acknowledged.

Chris did it all in a 3 YEAR CAREER, also.

I do know that Tupac and Biggie are much bigger acts dead than they were alive. Artists dying young is the best thing that can happen for the folks that will inherit the rights to their stuff.

Pac and BIG were tremendously popular in their living days. They're still ever so popular to this day because they are the 2 most influential figures in the rap community. Their effect was never truly felt until they were gone.

Biggie and Tupac were real talents?

I personally got the impression they were wanna-be thugs that liked to sample other peoples music

I guess the old adage of One Mans Trash is Another Mans Treasure is true.

Tupac and Biggie being talented, just like Kanye being a genius, is surely subjective.

One thing that isnt subjective is that Kanye is a douchebag.

In the case of B.I.G, his wordplay, punchlines and double entendres were, and still are, light years ahead of just about everybody today. His flow, just like Rakim's, was something never seen before. A flow that consisted stretching out every word just right, having the perfect inflection and choice evoked emotion(s) that can never be compared to. Whether you enjoy rap or not, his use of the right rhyme schemes and lyrical devices have to be acknowledged.

Chris did it all in a 3 YEAR CAREER, also.

I do know that Tupac and Biggie are much bigger acts dead than they were alive. Artists dying young is the best thing that can happen for the folks that will inherit the rights to their stuff.

Pac and BIG were tremendously popular in their living days. They're still ever so popular to this day because they are the 2 most influential figures in the rap community. Their effect was never truly felt until they were gone.

Biggie and Tupac may very well be light years ahead of everybody today, as long as "everybody" are artists in their genre.

Considering the other aspects besides lyrics and the rythmic delivery of them, they just cant be compared to artists who are not only amazing lyricists, but are also musicians and composers...dealing with instruments, arrangements, composition, melody, and harmony. It is just apples and oranges IMO.

Edit: I hope it isnt coming across that I am bashing Tupac, Biggie, or even rap in general. It is pretty clear they were very talented artists.

Also, it is pretty apparent that an artist gets a huge boost in sales, as well as acclaim, after an untimely (or even an expected) death. History is chocked full of examples. We just had one example with MJ, with how his sales went through the roof, and how he was suddenly the greatest musical genius of all time and not just a child molester. The true talent of an artist should be judged on the merit of their work alone.....I dont see how their music gets any better after they are gone, so I dont see how their "genius" can be all of a sudden realised once they are gunned down in a drive by or OD'ed.

The true talent of an artist should be judged on the merit of their work alone.....I dont see how their music gets any better after they are gone, so I dont see how their "genius" can be all of a sudden realised once they are gunned down in a drive by or OD'ed.

Are you a Hendrix fan?

Speaking of punking people while on stage, anyone watch Michael Jordan's HOF induction speech? Wow...

The true talent of an artist should be judged on the merit of their work alone.....I dont see how their music gets any better after they are gone, so I dont see how their "genius" can be all of a sudden realised once they are gunned down in a drive by or OD'ed.

Are you a Hendrix fan?

Speaking of punking people while on stage, anyone watch Michael Jordan's HOF induction speech? Wow...

Yea, I saw it. It was ridiculous.

"To my kids, I'm glad I'm not you." And he was completely serious.

Are you a Hendrix fan?

I am a fan of Hendrix, but it is mostly for his groundbreaking work on guitar. He was highly regarded in that respect and introduced new technique and effects, was an accomplished studio musician, won many awards and acclaim....all while alive. So I dont feel that I would have liked him any more or less before his death than after (which is when I started listening to him).

Then how is it different from Pac and BIG?

It isn't.

3 yr career as well.

Im not saying it is different. I have no doubt that Hendrix's acclaim is higher since he is dead. Just like Biggie and Tupac.

I just disagree that an artists work should be thought of as better now that they are dead, like in the posters statement:

"Their effect was never truly felt until they were gone."

I only feel that the artist being "gone" has no bearing on the quality of their work. Just like Hendrix. His art is his art, and it shouldnt all of a sudden be more highly regarded just because he is now a dead rap icon.

The music on Tupacs, Biggies, and Jimis CD's havent changed from when they were alive to now when they are dead.

And the length of the career is irrelevant. Given more time, Tupac and Biggie's music could have taken a shit dive. We all know how fickle the consumers can be, and how money and pressure can change a persons art or product. One never knows.

It is a tough distinction but I think I see what he's getting at. Hendrix was a guitar god while alive, Tupac and Biggie, while big in the rap world, weren't the revered lyricists and fashionable until after their deaths.

It isn't.

3 yr career as well.

Im not saying it is different. I have no doubt that Hendrix's acclaim is higher since he is dead. Just like Biggie and Tupac.

I just disagree that an artists work should be thought of as better now that they are dead, like in the posters statement:

I only feel that the artist being "gone" has no bearing on the quality of their work. Just like Hendrix. His art is his art, and it shouldnt all of a sudden be more highly regarded just because he is now a dead rap icon.

The music on Tupacs, Biggies, and Jimis CD's havent changed from when they were alive to now when they are dead.

And the length of the career is irrelevant. Given more time, Tupac and Biggie's music could have taken a shit dive. We all know how fickle the consumers can be, and how money and pressure can change a persons art or product. One never knows.

So could've Jimi's.

You're basing your point on the mistake of the poster. It wasn't like nobody liked their songs until they died.

It's all the same, but you can't defend one and bash the other just because you don't like the genre.

It is a tough distinction but I think I see what he's getting at. Hendrix was a guitar god while alive, Tupac and Biggie, while big in the rap world, weren't the revered lyricists and fashionable until after their deaths.

And to me that begs the question: Did Tupacs and Biggies untimely death, and their subsequent elevation to pop culture icons, give their musical legacy undeserved critical and popular acclaim, than if they would have died in their 70's?

I think it did. But I think it does for pretty much all music artists that die young or under "interesting" circumstances.

Exept the guy from INXS. They are still just crap.

It isn't.

3 yr career as well.

So could've Jimi's.

You're basing your point on the mistake of the poster. It wasn't like nobody liked their songs until they died.

It's all the same, but you can't defend one and bash the other just because you don't like the genre.

We are missing each other a bit here. I dont disagree that Tupac or Biggie were extremely talented. I also dont disagree that they were extremely popular and did recieve critical acclaim when alive. I also am not being bias against a musical genre (except that you cant compare artists if they arent doing comparable things....you cant compare a rapper that only writes lyrics to someone who writes and arranges the instrumentals ans well as lyrics and vocal melodies....it just isnt apples to apples)

I absolutely believe that Jimi benefitted in terms of sales and acclaim due to his untimely death. Not defending one and bashing the other, but it is true that they are different scenarios.

I personally dont subscribe to giving an artist more acclaim after their dead. The music is the same alive or dead. Rock or Rap. Jimi or Biggie.

I truly dont think my appreciation for Jimi is any different than if he were alive today. I just dont see why Tupac or Biggies talent, in some peoples opinion, is now so much more apparent now they are gone

And to me that begs the question: Did Tupacs and Biggies untimely death, and their subsequent elevation to pop culture icons, give their musical legacy undeserved critical and popular acclaim, than if they would have died in their 70's?

I think it did. But I think it does for pretty much all music artists that die young or under "interesting" circumstances.

Exept the guy from INXS. They are still just crap.

Then lump Jimi in there. That's the point I'm trying to make. However, he gets a free pass from you because he did groundbreaking work and won awards.

I also am not being bias against a musical genre (except that you cant compare artists if they arent doing comparable things....you cant compare a rapper that only writes lyrics to someone who writes and arranges the instrumentals ans well as lyrics and vocal melodies....it just isnt apples to apples)

Oh, so they just showed up, rapped, and left?

What do we make of the songs Hendrix COVERED?

Hendrix was already on the way down when he died. The direction that he wanted to go would have killed off his name and his commercial success would have ended abruptly. Go ahead and throw Jim Morrison into the general discussion as well, probably more similar to Tupac and Biggie. None of them had the inevitable "down" record or mid-career swoon that so many artists go through thanks, in part, to having suck short careers.