Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

2009 VMA's

Tupac, in particular, was gaining popularity with every album. His original "street poetry" type of music(with the exception of "Keep Ya Head Up") was less popular until after his death but with Death Row he found the recipe for big-time success.

I think Morrison might be one of the best examples. If you want to branch out the discussion, Marilyn Monroe wasn't exactly a great actress but you hang with the Kennedy's and die young, folks think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

What about Jesus too? Just a thought with no reply needed.

Jesus was huge when alive. Any guy that can bring unlimited wine is always a star.

Not to mention talking about artists having other musical talent , playing instruments and such other than being great lyricists. There are a lot of great rappers out there who are also producing , making beats and really evolving the rap game. Some of the best rappers out there in my opinion are great producers as well, and in Jay's case he started a now huge record label in rockafella. Dre , Kanye , pharrell and lots more. More to rap than just spiitin out rhymes

It is a tough distinction but I think I see what he's getting at. Hendrix was a guitar god while alive, Tupac and Biggie, while big in the rap world, weren't the revered lyricists and fashionable until after their deaths.

And to me that begs the question: Did Tupacs and Biggies untimely death, and their subsequent elevation to pop culture icons, give their musical legacy undeserved critical and popular acclaim, than if they would have died in their 70's?

I think it did. But I think it does for pretty much all music artists that die young or under "interesting" circumstances.

Exept the guy from INXS. They are still just crap.

Then lump Jimi in there. That's the point I'm trying to make. However, he gets a free pass from you because he did groundbreaking work and won awards.

I also am not being bias against a musical genre (except that you cant compare artists if they arent doing comparable things....you cant compare a rapper that only writes lyrics to someone who writes and arranges the instrumentals ans well as lyrics and vocal melodies....it just isnt apples to apples)

Oh, so they just showed up, rapped, and left?

What do we make of the songs Hendrix COVERED?

That is exaclty my point. I AM lumping Jimi in there.

He doesnt get a free pass. I dont agree with anyone getting more acclaim just because they were dead.

And it wasnt a slight against rappers. But you cant compare someone who also writes music with meoldy and arrangements, and may even play instruments....with someone who doesnt. It just isnt apples to apples. Hell...music is so subjective, no artists are really apples to apples anyway.

Sorry if I am not understanding your posts. It seems to me that we really arent disagreeing here.

Not to mention talking about artists having other musical talent , playing instruments and such other than being great lyricists. There are a lot of great rappers out there who are also producing , making beats and really evolving the rap game. Some of the best rappers out there in my opinion are great producers as well, and in Jay's case he started a now huge record label in rockafella. Dre , Kanye , pharrell and lots more. More to rap than just spiitin out rhymes

For some artists rap is more than spitting out a rhyme. For some it isnt.

Just like for some rock or pop artists.....some dont even write the music OR lyrics....they just show up to the recording session.

It is obvious that some rap artists are extremely talented....and are more involved with the product on many levels.....and even in areas outside of music.

My point is not genre specific. It is that artists have different levels of creative design. You cant really compare the talent of an artist that writes, plays, produces, etc to someone who doesnt.

That is all Im saying...sorry if I am not being clear.

For some artists rap is more than spitting out a rhyme. For some it isnt.

Just like for some rock or pop artists.....some dont even write the music OR lyrics....they just show up to the recording session.

It is obvious that some rap artists are extremely talented....and are more involved with the product on many levels.....and even in areas outside of music.

My point is not genre specific. It is that artists have different levels of creative design. You cant really compare the talent of an artist that writes, plays, produces, etc to someone who doesnt.

That is all Im saying...sorry if I am not being clear.

I'm confused it seemed like you were trying to make a point before but basically you have no opinion at all? It seems like you've spent like the last 2 pages arguing towards the middle.

Anyways - when the president calls you a jackass, you're probably a jackass.

In what were supposed to be off-the-record comments, President Barack Obama called musician Kanye West a "jackass" because of the performer's outburst at a music awards ceremony.

The comments were mistakenly sent out via the online service Twitter by ABC News' Terry Moran, who had access to off-the-record comments Obama made while being interviewed Monday by CNBC.

Anyways - when the president calls you a jackass, you're probably a jackass.
In what were supposed to be off-the-record comments, President Barack Obama called musician Kanye West a "jackass" because of the performer's outburst at a music awards ceremony.

The comments were mistakenly sent out via the online service Twitter by ABC News' Terry Moran, who had access to off-the-record comments Obama made while being interviewed Monday by CNBC.

yah, the audio clip is hitting the rounds too.

Anyone have real numbers regarding sales of CD's by genre?

Just so we all arent talking out of our asses.

Rock is dead as far as the labels are concerned. It is far too fractured and is the most likely to be pirated. Manufactured pop and country are the biggest right now.

There was a stat a few years ago (when we were still a country station)...that the only genre still showing a growth in CD sales (while all other formats were failing and moving to downloads) was Country. I assume that has something to do with (insert redneck joke here)....hicks without internet access.

Different set of values?

I wouldn't say a different set of values. I'll be honest, it's just impossible to find decent Country torrents. Every now and then you can, but the song/artist has to be very popular to find it online.

Rock is dead as far as the labels are concerned. It is far too fractured and is the most likely to be pirated. Manufactured pop and country are the biggest right now.

There was a stat a few years ago (when we were still a country station)...that the only genre still showing a growth in CD sales (while all other formats were failing and moving to downloads) was Country. I assume that has something to do with (insert redneck joke here)....hicks without internet access.

Different set of values?

I wouldn't say a different set of values. I'll be honest, it's just impossible to find decent Country torrents. Every now and then you can, but the song/artist has to be very popular to find it online.

So you're saying that the people that create/host the torrents aren't country music fans. You really aren't contradicting my guess with that post.

Different set of values?

So you're saying that the people that create/host the torrents aren't country music fans. You really aren't contradicting my guess with that post.

I'm saying it's not a different set of values, just that it's not popular enough to warrant the people uploading torrents the time to compile songs/torrents then upload to websites. Hell, I'd even go as far to say that most country music fans don't even know about torrents. But it'll be a very very very small margin of people that have the values to stop them from uploading.

Different set of values?

I'm saying it's not a different set of values, just that it's not popular enough to warrant the people uploading torrents the time to compile songs/torrents then upload to websites. Hell, I'd even go as far to say that most country music fans don't even know about torrents. But it'll be a very very very small margin of people that have the values to stop them from uploading.

So country music fans are too dumb to steal music? Country music is far more popular than rock in most of the US right now. I'm not a country music fan, hate most of it actually, but the facts are what they are.

Edit: No, they aren't too dumb. They just haven't learned what younger, more tech-savvy people have.

I live in Texas, i go to real-life Honky Tonks, and can tell you that most of the people there listen to country music one way, and that's on the radio. Hell, half the time these days you see people at this places in Tennis shoes, Affliction shirts, and Hurley hats.

I live in Texas, i go to real-life Honky Tonks, and can tell you that most of the people there listen to country music one way, and that's on the radio.

Well, they still buy a hell of a lot of music too, so it all can't be on the radio.

Pink performing on the trapeze was damn impressive...she must be in great shape to be able to pull off that stuff and maintain a strong singing voice. And, she was singing live.

You know Pink would have kicked the shit out of Kanye if he tried to pull that shit on her.

I listen to the music that I like to listen to. This means that I didn't watch, and don't care about, the VMA's. I have my opinion and my iTunes and that's all I need.

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

Only if you say so.

And yes, don't lecture me, I know it's a movie reference.

I actually agree with your post, as it reflects my views too.

Just the "all I need" made me think of that movie and I thought someone might enjoy the quote. :)

Apparently Pink had to be restrained by security backstage from going after him.

Edit: No, they aren't too dumb. They just haven't learned what younger, more tech-savvy people have.

I live in Texas, i go to real-life Honky Tonks, and can tell you that most of the people there listen to country music one way, and that's on the radio. Hell, half the time these days you see people at this places in Tennis shoes, Affliction shirts, and Hurley hats.

Now I know you're completely full of shit. Country music is huge right now with younger folks. Heck, just last Friday I was having dinner at the bar of a restaurant with my father and he wound up having a conversation with a recent college grad about their favorite country acts. All the folks I know who have hit the Chesney festival for years are all currently 30 and under.

Completely full of shit? Hardly. Just because young people go to concerts doesn't mean they are spending their free time uploading and downloading torrents of that same music. Now, the older crowd of country fans are the ones buying all the CDs.

Note: This is not an end-all-be-all statistic or anything. Its a generalization.

And I'd appreciate you not being such an ass-hat about it next time.

Completely full of shit? Hardly. Just because young people go to concerts doesn't mean they are spending their free time uploading and downloading torrents of that same music. Now, the older crowd of country fans are the ones buying all the CDs.

Note: This is not an end-all-be-all statistic or anything. Its a generalization.

And I'd appreciate you not being such an ass-hat about it next time.

I love when folks do it for me.