Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juiced

Electronic/Techno Music

Music is one of my hobbies and I'm very open to all kinds of music. I've been really getting into electronic music lately but am finding it very overwhelming. There are just so many genres and artists that I find it hard to even start knowing what to buy. I've mainly been going off of suggestions by friends. So far I've got a very small yet diverse collection including; The Glitch Mob, edIT, Benny Benassi, Tiesto, deadmau5, Thievery Corporation (although I'm not sure if they're considered electronic, they're still pretty awesome) and a few others.

I'm just wondering if there are any "Back in Black"s or "Appetite for Destruction"s that are a must have for everyone who is a fan of electronic music. I'm sure there are a lot of people on these boards that would be able to recommend some good stuff to a new fan.

Thanks a lot!

Music is one of my hobbies and I'm very open to all kinds of music. I've been really getting into electronic music lately but am finding it very overwhelming. There are just so many genres and artists that I find it hard to even start knowing what to buy. I've mainly been going off of suggestions by friends. So far I've got a very small yet diverse collection including; The Glitch Mob, edIT, Benny Benassi, Tiesto, deadmau5, Thievery Corporation (although I'm not sure if they're considered electronic, they're still pretty awesome) and a few others.

I'm just wondering if there are any "Back in Black"s or "Appetite for Destruction"s that are a must have for everyone who is a fan of electronic music. I'm sure there are a lot of people on these boards that would be able to recommend some good stuff to a new fan.

Thanks a lot!

When I think of Appetite or Back in Black, I think of "older" classics. An album that I think of that way is Paul Oakenfold's Tranceport. I had more of an electronic music "phase" a while ago. While in that phase, my favorite eletronica artists were John Digweed, Sasha and Paul Van Dyk. Not up on the newer stuff though.

Just like any main genre of music, electronica has branched out and grown and evolved into many varied sub-genres. The fact that a lot of songs have no lyrics doesn't make things any easier when trying to explore new songs/artists. I'm a big fan of Tiesto myself, he is considered to fit more into the "trance" sub-genre (simple beats, few lyrics, and extensive vamping).

To make a long story short, just listen to as much music as possible. http://www.allmusic.com/ is a personal favorite website of mine. Search an artist, and not only will it give you bios, complete discography, and reviews, but they do a good job with similar artists, influences, and followers. This can help you find new artists and get a grasp on what it is exactly that you like.

http://beirutnights.com/ is an awesome online streamed dance station that also offers legal downloads. Listen to some of that for a while and see what you like.

Hope that helps.

I personally like ATB. They have some good songs like ecstacy and 9pm. There is also Paul Oakenfold and Armin Van Buuren (spelling?) who have some good mixes. With this music genre, its kinda hard to find the exact song that you are looking for unless you know the dj and even then its hard to find the exact same version of the song that you like.

I personally like ATB. They have some good songs like ecstacy and 9pm. There is also Paul Oakenfold and Armin Van Buuren (spelling?) who have some good mixes. With this music genre, its kinda hard to find the exact song that you are looking for unless you know the dj and even then its hard to find the exact same version of the song that you like.

I second ATB - 9pm, good song.

I think the only bands I would know are those bordering on mainstream, such as Daft Punk, Moby, Prodigy, Crystal Method, Oakenfold, Stereolab, Rogue Wave. I suspect a purist would cringe at most of them, however.

I'm not big on Electronic music, but one exception is Sweden's the Knife.

They are amazing, some of their songs take a few listens but you will get to like them.

Look for these songs....

Heartbeats -

Pass this On -

Like a Pen -

justice is good

junkie xl is good

a trak is good

booka shade is awesome (ambient)

genji seraisi is awesome (ambient chill)

kid koala is a scratch dj that's got some wicked stuff

Steve lawler is good

that's all I can think of off the top of my head. there's hundreds of thousands of sets put there, the best thing to do is get on an electronic stream like on iTunes or something to find the genre you like the best and go with it.

mauro picotto - (komodo, lizard, iguana etc)

chicane - saltwater amonst others

signum - (coming on strong, what ya got for me etc)

joshua ryan - pistolwhip

dj quicksilver - belissima

southside spinners- luvstruck

ayla-ayla

storm - time to burn

tony de vit - the dawn

warp bros feat aquagen - phatt bass

all classics from hardhouse through to trance and house. nice mix up of sub genres

Gotta admit it's a guilty pleasure of mine. DJ Taucher's Live @ Webster Hall is a good disc. Ferry Corsten's pretty good as is Armin van Buuren. both are more trance with vocals but this is an awesome song featuring the beautiful Sharon of Within Temptation.

I also like Scooter, kinda funny in some way but awesome.

Is the Alive 2007 from a concert? If so, I found a Daft Punk video on bit torrent from when they did Coachella in 2006. Really awesome stuff, I used a program called super to rip the audio, and now its on a CD fro in my car.

I'd love to see those guys live someday.

Zach

Off the top of the head, look for some older Ministry Of Sound stuff, as well as older Bad Boy Bill. Used to bump that Bad Boy Bill like it was going out of style. These compliations will introduce you to the various artists & dj's that mix, remix, & remix again a lot of the stuff out there.

Amon Tobin

Boards of Canada

Squarepusher

Autechre

Chemical Brothers

MSTRKRFT

Royksopp

Overseer

off the top of my head, check those out.

Not 100% this is the actual artist, but there is a song by Future Sound of London called life forms which I think is pretty sick. Again Im not sure the song on youtube is the same as the one I have mainly because it was on a ripped cd labeled FSOL. Worth a try though

Is the Alive 2007 from a concert? If so, I found a Daft Punk video on bit torrent from when they did Coachella in 2006. Really awesome stuff, I used a program called super to rip the audio, and now its on a CD fro in my car.

I'd love to see those guys live someday.

Zach

Yea the coachella set is a little bit different then their alive tour set. The Cd was recorded from their concert in Paris. Its on itunes and the quality is amazing. Coachella < alive... its on itunes, go download it and replace the cd in your car. You will thank me!

also +1 for pendulum its the only drum and bass i like. Fasten your seatbealts is an awesome song...