Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

What do you guys think about Phanuef on Kopitar last night? Suspension worthy?

Has Phanuef been suspended before? I can't recall. He might get off if he's not a repeat offender.

Has Phanuef been suspended before? I can't recall. He might get off if he's not a repeat offender.

I want to say no. He didn't drive his head into the boards or ice...Kopitar wasn't blindsided or knocked out/injured. No stick invloved. It was as legal a dirty hit as I've ever seen. What I mean by that is...the hit was body on body...it just happened over an uneccesary amount of space (bad explanation by me) which lead to the boarding call.

Can you even call a double minor for boarding? I thougth 5 and a game seemed a bit much in itself. But, I don't know the rule book inside and out like (cough, Chadd, cough) some do.

If Phaneuf doesn't travel so far to make the hit...it's just a hard solid run into the boards.

I want to say no. He didn't drive his head into the boards or ice...Kopitar wasn't blindsided or knocked out/injured. No stick invloved. It was as legal a dirty hit as I've ever seen. What I mean by that is...the hit was body on body...it just happened over an uneccesary amount of space (bad explanation by me) which lead to the boarding call.

Can you even call a double minor for boarding? I thougth 5 and a game seemed a bit much in itself. But, I don't know the rule book inside and out like (cough, Chadd, cough) some do.

If Phaneuf doesn't travel so far to make the hit...it's just a hard solid run into the boards.

Not sure on the NHL rule on that one and don't have time to look it up. USAH only allows for a minor, major, major and game or match in a boarding situation.

The hit was in a dangerous position, just about the worst spot for injury potential. Farther away from the boards and Kopitar hits the ice before the boards, closer and he probably stays on his feet. For that reason as well as the fact that Kopitar had not touched the puck, nor was he in a position to do so, I have no problem with the call. I don't see a suspension coming for this, it will just be written off as a battle for the puck.

Dion could have gotten to the puck and made a play, but slowed up and made sure he put Kopitar in a position that he could do the most damage. The NHL needs to get that mindset out of the game. The point of the game is to score goals, not to inflict as much damage as possible on everyone that touches the puck.

correct me if i am wrong but wasnt this a race to the puck on a delayed icing? If so i think Dion may be facing a suspension. Too many guys have been hurt in this situation in the last couple of years. I wonder if Cherry will go on another no touch icing rant even though it was a "good ol canadian kid" running a "soft euro" into the boards.

here is a vid of it for those that dont want to have to search to find it

my opinion is that it was dirty - it was kind of a sucker play - phaneuf was just waiting for kopitar to touch the puck so then he could crush him - funny thing is that kopitar never touched it

What happened to the NHL cracking down on physical contact during an icing play? I'm all for the big hits, but this one should never, NEVER happen. I want Phaneuf to get 4 games, but i know it will never happen. Phaneuf never made an attempt to touch the puck and i bet the thought never crossed his mind. All he was thinking about was running Kopitar as hard into the boards as possible. This seems like intent to injure to me. Throw the book at him.

I believe icing was waved off. Saying that I have to agree with Chadd, wasn't clean but no suspension will be given.

I didn't know icing had been waved off, I was thinking those new icing rules would apply.

i do have to give robyn regehr props for trying to protect kopitar while the scrum was going on - he could have easily gotten stepped on and it looked like he was trying to push everyone away from kopitar - didn't expect that from a guy on the opposing team

Some guys just get it and Regehr seems to be one of them. The more I see of Phaneuf the more I think this guy's only goal is to hurt people. I think he needs an appointment with a true heavyweight to teach him some manners.

I think he needs an appointment with a true heavyweight or two, or three to teach him some manners.

seems to me like he has respect for nhl veterans - but not for anyone else - everyone else is just a potential target

That expresses Phaneuf perfectly. He does not see players, he sees targets.

I commned having only seen it once. I didn't realize it was on an icing...and I thought Kopitar had touched the puck...having seen it 3 or 4 more times....I still don't think it's suspendable...but I think everything he got on the play was deserved.

I'm no fan of Phaneuf's, but sadly I don't think that the hit will garner a suspension, as both players were actively chasing down the puck. That's not to say that it wasn't reckless though. The NHL really needs to look into instituting no touch icing.

My main problem with Phaneuf is that he routinely goes for the the big hit over the smart hockey play. It doesn't seem to matter if he puts himself out of position, so long as he levels his target.

My main problem with Phaneuf is that he routinely goes for the the big hit over the smart hockey play. It doesn't seem to matter if he puts himself out of position, so long as he levels his target.

And that's why he doesn't make the Olympic team.

Agreed, but its also the reason the media has a man-crush on him, hits look great on Sportscentre, not solid defensive plays. His coaches can scream at him all they want, but when he has national and local media figures telling him how great he is all the time, he ends up ignoring those he should be listening to. The same thing happened to Lapierre and Latendresse here in Montreal.

My thoughts exactly on why he wasn't selected.

I guess Nike thought differently...

http://inside.nike.com/blogs/niketraining-...30/nike-destiny

The Nike ad is pretty sharp. Iggy is the man, Phaneuf not so much.

Phaneuf likes to hit defenseless guys or smaller guys but he isn't near the top of the league in terms of actual hits.

Here is one of my favorite Phaneuf clips:

Phaneuf likes to hit defenseless guys or smaller guys but he isn't near the top of the league in terms of actual hits.

This is by far my favorite clip of Phaneuf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDwo3EBqYw

This is by far my favorite clip of Phaneuf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDwo3EBqYw

That's really funny :)

Phaneuf committed another mugging on a race for an icing touch that again was not called. At least this time he didn't hammer the guy but why aren't the refs calling him on it?