Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

Cooke got two games for his hit on Anisimov. I love the consistency by the NHL.

Cooke has made a career out of borderline play, any time he gets away from the league is a good thing.

I don't know. Richards, who plays pretty dirty himself but nobody speaks ill of, got away with a much worse hit.

I don't know. Richards, who plays pretty dirty himself but nobody speaks ill of, got away with a much worse hit.

At the time, I said Richards should have been suspended heavily for that hit. I still feel that way.

I'm absolutely sick of the NHL's consistency. They really need to institute a new disciplinary system, however, the Flowchart someone posted a few pages back absolutely hits the nail on the head: 3rd Liner, Was it avery? No, I forget what the last one was, 2-3 games.

I didnt see the Fedo slew foot at first but now that someone points it out you can see it. Of course what Avery did in response wasn't right but if the league saw that give them both a game and call it done. I wouldnt be suprised to see Fedotenko fight Avery tonight.. He's fought a few times but the last time he fought he broke his hand on Colby Armstrongs face so who knows. Should be the game of the night tonight I think.

Heres the video of Avery on Fedotenko.

Granted I'm a pens fan, but with Averys history and the downright ridiclousness of jumpin someone from behind he should get a few games..I even got the Rangers feed and even their own announcers are not happy with him.

it was pretty douchey.

however, the refs were pretty stupid in only issuing an instigator... when clearly, this was a pretty obvious case for an agressor. That extra game misconduct could come back to bite him later, because i'm sure he'll accrue more.

Not to defend Avery...but as HNIC pointed out last night....do you see Fedo try to kick Avery's feet out from under him at :03 in?

Didn't look like Fedotenko kicked him. It looks more like a move you see defensemen do a million times where they simply push the opponent's foot a little to upset his balance without taking him down. Had Fedotenko been going for the classic slew foot then his left elbow would have been in Avery's chest and he would have sent him arse over teakettle.

Didn't look like Fedotenko kicked him. It looks more like a move you see defensemen do a million times where they simply push the opponent's foot a little to upset his balance without taking him down. Had Fedotenko been going for the classic slew foot then his left elbow would have been in Avery's chest and he would have sent him arse over teakettle.

That would have been too obvious. I think he was trying to be a little more stealthy.

In response to Cooke's suspension: Do you think that he would have even received a suspension if he wasn't on the ass end of a home and home? Do you think Colon suspended him just to avoid any retribution or the like tonight?

Fieldofdreams, probably. The fact that he got 2 games just ensured that he got a nice healthy warning: Don't do it again. However, did the Rangers suspend King Henrik or is he injured? He wasn't on the bench for the game saturday. Period.

Ugh well add insult to injury ... there goes Ovie I am guessing for 5 game suspension.

Didn't seem intentional but definitely was a knee on knee hit. Funny though how Gleason layed on the ground but is back in the game 5 mins later and Ovie looks out for awhile and he gets the game misconduct.

ovechkin with a knee on knee collision with gleason.

ovechkin definitely got the worst of it though.

imo its worthy of a 3 game suspension. pretty sure he was looking for the shoulder hit but he instinctively led with the knee. its about time it catches up with him. although the injury looked pretty bad.

imo its worthy of a 3 game suspension. pretty sure he was looking for the shoulder hit but he instinctively led with the knee. its about time it catches up with him. although the injury looked pretty bad.

From my opinion and I might be biased but Gleason dodged and Ovie continued through the hit as planned. He should've waved off. Gonchar knee on knee was accidental this one didn't look as accidental.

From my opinion and I might be biased but Gleason dodged and Ovie continued through the hit as planned. He should've waved off. Gonchar knee on knee was accidental this one didn't look as accidental.

well the thing with ovechkin is that he always has his knee out like that...usually he catches people with the shoulder...but when gleason dodged it was the knees that were left to collide.

im not saying it was clean at all. reckless? definitely. intentional? i dont think so.

but we both agree that it wasnt a clean play and is deserving of a suspension.

I think OV is going to get a lot of shit for this, but id have to say he's more reckless than he is dirty. No one wants to be throwing knee on knee hits, cause well, look what happened. He got hurt.

I didn't see his knee move out to catch Gleason, though I only saw one quick replay. Just because there is knee to knee contact doesn't mean someone needs to be suspended. I think this and Laraque situations were both over reactions.

I didn't see his knee move out to catch Gleason, though I only saw one quick replay. Just because there is knee to knee contact doesn't mean someone needs to be suspended. I think this and Laraque situations were both over reactions.

I only saw a quick replay too...but it appeared that Ovy initiated the contact...and took the worst of it...which I can't believe doesn't happen more often to the hitter in these knee on knee hits.

I don't think it was intentional either. I watched it a few times, and it looked like he lined Gleason up, Gleason turned to avoid it, Ovie followed through, and they connected with the knees. Not sure whether he could've gotten his knee out of the way or not. Things happen fast on the ice, let alone the NHL level. But with that being said; knee on Gonchar, the Briere hit, the slewfoot earlier this year, Heward from behind, Kaleta hit, and now this. I like Ovie an awful lot, but I think he should sit a few to clear his head. I don't think he intentionally tries to hurt people, but I think he needs to be a bit more careful. Hopefully he's not out for an extended period of time. Looked like Gleason was OK.

While I haven't seen the video, I believe OV will get a 1 or 2 game suspension. Two game misconducts in such a short amount of time is gonna ding him. This could all very well mean shit if he's hurt, as he'd be missing those games regardless, unless there is some form of rule preventing it. I certainly hope he's out for no serious length of time. In a year where the Caps have a real shot at dealing post-season damage, it'd be a shame for it to go down the pooper due to a serious injury.

While I haven't seen the video, I believe OV will get a 1 or 2 game suspension. Two game misconducts in such a short amount of time is gonna ding him. This could all very well mean shit if he's hurt, as he'd be missing those games regardless, unless there is some form of rule preventing it. I certainly hope he's out for no serious length of time. In a year where the Caps have a real shot at dealing post-season damage, it'd be a shame for it to go down the pooper due to a serious injury.

I wonder how Tretiak is taking the news?

Looks like he when for the shoulder but with poor technique, and Gleason avoided, thereby knee on knee. But it is surprising how many comments I'm seeing from people on various sites that are more than happy he got hurt, the overall vitriol level is almost Avery-esque.

Surprised and pleased to see some level heads from the Caps faithful. I don't know if he's dirty (although I think anyone who slew foots is somewhat dirty) but he is reckless and it is time for the NHL to hit him with a couple of games.

Linkage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FfxSWmgRvI

I love Ovechkin and all...but I think it's time for him to see his due. As someone already stated, two majors in one week shouldn't be unpunished. I think it needs to be done as a statement by the NHL as well - superstars aren't immune to punishment.

I have to disagree. I didn't think he deserved a major for the other hit and I don't think he deserved on for this hit. Despite the comments from the Carolina announcers, he doesn't extend his leg. It looks like he's shifting his weight, trying to catch up with the body, and just gets there a little late.