Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

"Superstars aren't immune" - they also have the most to lose in terms of future career/money etc. I watch almost every Caps game, and it's true he's reckless, but Ovie isn't dirty. If he sits a couple, I agree, it'll be good for him (clear his head/ be more careful). But all of these comments I see comparing him to Avery make me sick.

as a caps/ovechkin fan, ovie should probably get a suspension. That he didn't look quite as bad/as intentional as laraques but given the leagues history with suspending ovie, maybe he'll get off free.

Linkage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FfxSWmgRvI

I love Ovechkin and all...but I think it's time for him to see his due. As someone already stated, two majors in one week shouldn't be unpunished. I think it needs to be done as a statement by the NHL as well - superstars aren't immune to punishment.

I have to disagree. I didn't think he deserved a major for the other hit and I don't think he deserved on for this hit. Despite the comments from the Carolina announcers, he doesn't extend his leg. It looks like he's shifting his weight, trying to catch up with the body, and just gets there a little late.

It seemed OV was moving in a straight line, with arm and leg in the same line, while Gleason was leaning a bit to avoid the hit, which caused the knee-on-knee. He shouldn't get 5 games like Laraque, since he never twisted out his knee in a reaction to clip him, but I see the two misconducts warranting 2 games.

Sounds to me like officials and the NHL are getting tired of the way Ovechkin runs around to make hits. He could be the example that the league is looking for.

Linkage

I love Ovechkin and all...but I think it's time for him to see his due. As someone already stated, two majors in one week shouldn't be unpunished. I think it needs to be done as a statement by the NHL as well - superstars aren't immune to punishment.

I have to disagree. I didn't think he deserved a major for the other hit and I don't think he deserved on for this hit. Despite the comments from the Carolina announcers, he doesn't extend his leg. It looks like he's shifting his weight, trying to catch up with the body, and just gets there a little late.

With you on this one chadd.

/carolina fan

//gleason fan

But... even if the majors are kind of weak calls, if this was any other player who wasn't a posterboy (not all-star...above all-star) they would be suspended for 4 or so games. And than every time again they did shit like this again they'd get another 2 for each incident. Just because they are the best in the game doesn't mean they can't get in trouble, too.

It also happens inversely too, as Avery last night had so much shit go uncalled against him it was ridiculous. I'm a pens fan and i thought it wasn't right. But since he is Avery, he wont get anything. Same with superstars, they'll get everything. This is a case where if you have shown you continue to be reckless to other player's well-being, you need to sit a few to be tought a lesson that even if you are the greatest on the ice, you are still liable for your actions.

No suspensions for any of these Ovechkin offenses.

Ovechkin goes after Orpik's knee:

Ovechkin on Gonchar's knee:

Ovechkin boards Briere long after the puck is gone:

Ovechkin boards Kaleta (4 days ago):

Ovechkin boards Heward:

Ovechkin slew foots Peverley:

Ovechkin knees Gleason (lastnight):

Ovechkin boards Heward:

The Briere one is bull. I am a huge Sabres fan. Briere is a baby and over did it there. And if you remember Briere later got Ovie back with a spear to the groin that went uncalled/unoticed by the officials.

Ovechkin boards Heward:

The Briere one is bull. I am a huge Sabres fan. Briere is a baby and over did it there. And if you remember Briere later got Ovie back with a spear to the groin that went uncalled/unoticed by the officials.

Clean hit on Orpik

Gonchar had his leg extended, Ovechkin didn't go out of his way to make that hit

Briere was a joke

Kaleta could have been a charge based on distance but it was mostly shoulder to shoulder

The only ones I can see any legitimate issue with are Heward and Peverly. Even the Peverly one is questionable as it looks like Peverly's right leg is off the ice because of the hit and Ovechkin's doesn't seem to make contact with the left leg at all. That could just be a bad angle though.

OV hits Orpik's knee and misses 90% of his body. Pause it at the 15 second mark.

OV is leading with his knee at Gonchar and misses Gonchar completely except for his leg/knee. Pause it at the 45 and the 1:26 second mark.

Briere might have faked it a little but the puck was long gone and his back was to Ovechkin the whole time. Just like Tucker/Ruutu incident earlier this season.

Ovechkin boards Heward:

Clean hit on Orpik

Gonchar had his leg extended, Ovechkin didn't go out of his way to make that hit

Briere was a joke

Kaleta could have been a charge based on distance but it was mostly shoulder to shoulder

The only ones I can see any legitimate issue with are Heward and Peverly. Even the Peverly one is questionable as it looks like Peverly's right leg is off the ice because of the hit and Ovechkin's doesn't seem to make contact with the left leg at all. That could just be a bad angle though.

Add to the Heward one he ducked his head down. Ovie stayed on the same level for the hit the entire time. Heward even said afterwards it was a clean hit.

OV hits Orpik's knee and misses 90% of his body. Pause it at the 15 second mark.

OV is leading with his knee at Gonchar and misses Gonchar completely except for his leg/knee. Pause it at the 45 and the 1:26 second mark.

Briere might have faked it a little but the puck was long gone and his back was to Ovechkin the whole time. Just like Tucker/Ruutu incident earlier this season.

When Ovie hits baby Briere, Ovie is gliding. Briere is hit shoulder to shoulder.

If you pause it, you miss the fact that Orpik is attempting to avoid the hit. As Orpik does so, he leaves his leg extended behind him and in the original line that Ovechkin was taking to make the hit.

Gonchar is reaching for the puck, Ovechkin takes a line between Gonchar and the puck. Gonchar sees Ovechkin and pulls back so he doesn't get hit but leaves his leg extended. Ovechkin makes no attempt to extend his leg or any other part of his body to make the hit.

Come on, now. The Briere hit was a dirty play that would be borderline, at best, if I was an Ovey homer.

We had a multipage topic on it at the time, there's nothing new to mine there.

With the way he went off the ice it appears that two gamer is moot, he might be out for a little while. It was just a matter of time before playing with such reckless abandon would catch up to him. Hopefully, his knees don't desert him like they have so many other stars.

There was a thing on NHL.com that said he skated for about 5 minutes today and said he didn't think the injury was very serious. Oh well, 2 games off to rest is probably the best for him anyways.

There was a thing on NHL.com that said he skated for about 5 minutes today and said he didn't think the injury was very serious. Oh well, 2 games off to rest is probably the best for him anyways.

Quick edit question. Can they push the suspension back if he was going to miss games due to the injury anyways?