Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

In response to the list of OV's hits, the reason these people are getting hit in such poor situations is that they see him coming, and try to move out of the way. No one in this league will take a hit to make a play anymore and its starting to piss me off when people point the finger at the hitter. I'm obviously a big fan of Ovechkin and I'm alright with the suspension since it would probably do his knee good anyway. I do have a problem with the hitting from behind, and that Briere play was a joke.. The Gonchar play had a full breakdown frame by frame by TBLfan in the Caps/Pens playoff thread. I suggest you go take a look.

How many times does it have to be the same guy before you accept that he may be the problem? If this were any other player then folks would look at the list and wonder when the league will finally do something about the guy.

How many times does it have to be the same guy before you accept that he may be the problem? If this were any other player then folks would look at the list and wonder when the league will finally do something about the guy.

If he actually stuck his leg out on the knee shots I would agree with you. I would agree if he hit Kaleta in the numbers and not the shoulder. The Briere hit looked like a bump, not an attempt to hammer him. Heward was the closest for me, but there is only one hit like that in his resume. Even if you say the same thing about Briere, it's still a one time type of hit.

It's nothing like the guys that are constantly throwing elbows at heads or drilling guys from behind into the boards.

Too many coincidences. Not every hit was blatant and suspension worthy, but when you are racking up one after another questionable incidents, it says something. The guy can do anything but when it comes to these types of plays he always counters with the excuse that he just couldn't avoid it. Well, other players do. If you find yourself in situation after situation you couldn't avoid and other guys are getting hurt, look in the mirror first. When your own coach comments that you are out of control, the excuse that people are just haters flies out the door.

Too many coincidences. Not every hit was blatant and suspension worthy, but when you are racking up one after another questionable incidents, it says something. The guy can do anything but when it comes to these types of plays he always counters with the excuse that he just couldn't avoid it. Well, other players do. If you find yourself in situation after situation you couldn't avoid and other guys are getting hurt, look in the mirror first. When your own coach comments that you are out of control, the excuse that people are just haters flies out the door.

I'm not saying he couldn't avoid it. I'm saying the other guy's actions were the reason that the hit was questionable. When you throw your body out of the way to avoid a hit and leave your legs in place, don't be surprised when your legs get hit. If Gabby is saying he was out of control that is a complete 180 from his earlier comments and somewhat unlike him.

drop the Instigator rule and this happens maybe once, but never again, unless Ovie's a helluva fighter

true.

one good ass-whooping by a goon and he'd be a less reckless player. I don't think suspensions will help actually. Never did for me. :P

drop the Instigator rule and this happens maybe once, but never again, unless Ovie's a helluva fighter

true.

one good ass-whooping by a goon and he'd be a less reckless player. I don't think suspensions will help actually. Never did for me. :P

That's exactly what the NHL needs. You think the Ballard thing got national attention, try having Sid or Ovy getting pummeled by some goon that spends less time on the ice than in the box.

When a guy plays and hits as much as ovechkin, of course theres going to be some questionable plays. Its basic probability, hockey is a fast contact sport, players get hurt. Doesn't necessarily mean a guys going out of his way to kill people or is a dirty player. I'll say the heward and briere plays were unnecessary and reckless, but I don't think he was going out of his way to plant either into the boards. The rest of those vids are bunk, ovy has his lane with his legs under him as he goes to hit, the players make an attempt to move but don't get there knees out of the way. He doesn't extend his knees after the guys move out of the way like the asses on on the fly tonight were saying.

When a guy plays and hits as much as ovechkin, of course theres going to be some questionable plays.

There are others who play just as physical a game and don't have nearly the same number of questionable plays...physical and reckless are two different things.

true.

That's exactly what the NHL needs. You think the Ballard thing got national attention, try having Sid or Ovy getting pummeled by some goon that spends less time on the ice than in the box.

Flat out getting rid of the instigator rule would cause this. A modification where a guy immediately responding to a questionable hit doesn't get slapped with the instigator would not. Most checking lines and shut-down defensive pairings don't have a knuckle dragger so you wouldn't have a Boogard/Ovechkin scrap.

true.

Flat out getting rid of the instigator rule would cause this. A modification where a guy immediately responding to a questionable hit doesn't get slapped with the instigator would not. Most checking lines and shut-down defensive pairings don't have a knuckle dragger so you wouldn't have a Boogard/Ovechkin scrap.

In theory, I don't disagree. The problem is defining a "questionable hit". Look at how the NHL refs have allowed the game to degenerate in the past and you'll see why I have no faith in that working over the long term.

In theory, I don't disagree. The problem is defining a "questionable hit". Look at how the NHL refs have allowed the game to degenerate in the past and you'll see why I have no faith in that working over the long term.

Exactly, if there was a way to use that rule without making it a judgement call for the refs that would be alright I guess, but nhl refs have shown the rulebook needs to be as black and white as possible. The way the charging rule is now is bad enough.

Four games for Carcillo.

They have to rethink suspensions on players whose absence have no bearing or even benefit their team. A more fitting punishment would be a minimum of 25 minutes on the ice for each of the next 4 games, and a mandatory presence on the powerplay .

Just caught a bit of Cole's hit against the Devils. Looks like something that could lead to a suspension, from the brief glimpse I had.

I only saw it live, but it looked like Jamal Mayer's hit on Witt tonight could be worthy. Looked like he did a flying elbow from behind on Witt into the boards.

They announcers were talking about the type of glass used in Pepsi arena. Idk if that actually had anything to do with it, but they were saying that its a harder glass. The hit its self was absolutely boarding and the refs got it right. As far as suspension.. idk. 1 or 2 games at the most. Anyone know anything about this glass tho? Im curious as to why an arena would have something different. Shouldn't there be regulation on the rinks?

They announcers were talking about the type of glass used in Pepsi arena. Idk if that actually had anything to do with it, but they were saying that its a harder glass. The hit its self was absolutely boarding and the refs got it right. As far as suspension.. idk. 1 or 2 games at the most. Anyone know anything about this glass tho? Im curious as to why an arena would have something different. Shouldn't there be regulation on the rinks?

There are half a dozen rinks that still have the seamless glass. Just about everyone put it in to allow the fans better visibility but they found that it was more dangerous to the players so they are putting the old school plexi back in the rinks.

I think they figure that these 2 morons can just dirty hit each other until they're both out. Kaleta and Ruutu are useless. And yes it was a suspendable hit...but maybe he didn't use the elbow enough :huh:

How about the hit on Green that put him out of the game in the second period?

That hit from behind, head first into the boards was dealt with swiftly and promptly by the league

$2500 hit 2 days later :rolleyes:

Shoulders right between the numbers on the back, head driven into the glass.

And lets not forget, it was a Koci elbow to Morrisson that put him out of the game in the first period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GjQ9CsrBI