Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

2 games... sure. But he won't learn anything. Nobody will unless suspensions are given a ruling of a 5 game minimum.

it'd be 5+ if it wasnt who he is.

Have you been drinking tonight? Even as heavy handed as I would be with the suspensions, I can't see anything that warrants a single game.

distance traveled 40+ ft, from behindish, no intent to play the puck, unnecessary check.... injury to the face. the criteria Campbell claims to use are there.

this logic is ridiculous. unnecessary check? no intent to play the puck? you can make that argument for EVERY hit that is thrown over the course of the game. and also...find me the part in the rules where "distance traveled" is a factor in making calls. as long as he doesnt jump into the hit..that means nothing...

43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

You really need to think before you speak, hockeyfreak. <_<

fair enough. i stand corrected.

i still dont believe that makes it worthy of a suspension. definitely a charge though in that case.

no need for your snide comment though. i made one mistake. sue me :ph34r:

2 games... sure. But he won't learn anything. Nobody will unless suspensions are given a ruling of a 5 game minimum.

...or if your name is Patrick Kaleta. I don't follow buffalo hockey but doesn't he have a dirty history?

Living in western NY I see every game. Kaleta doesn't neccesarily have a dirty history, he just checks hard and finishes every check. Usually he is the one drawing penalties, rather than recieving them.

Living in western NY I see every game. Kaleta doesn't neccesarily have a dirty history, he just checks hard and finishes every check. Usually he is the one drawing penalties, rather than recieving them.

He's a typical agitator. Fans of his team think he's a hard working guy, fans of other team think he crosses the line. Every team has at least one of these guys and every one of them could have been suspended at least once this season based on the hits they have made.

I'm going to say something a little outrageous, these charges are happening like crazy this year 'cause of the extra emphasis put on calling instigators. You don't play smart against a half turned around player, since it seems like a lot of these are guys who are half turned who end up with their backs to the attacking player, if you know 90% of the time you're just going to skate away.

Right on call mik3. Colby Armstrong just charged the hell out of van Riemsdyk. Got 5 and a game...thankfully JVR is alright

I'm going to say something a little outrageous, these charges are happening like crazy this year 'cause of the extra emphasis put on calling instigators. You don't play smart against a half turned around player, since it seems like a lot of these are guys who are half turned who end up with their backs to the attacking player, if you know 90% of the time you're just going to skate away.

There has been an increase year after year, it has nothing to do with the instigator. It's simply a continual degradation in the respect that players have (or don't have) for each other. I'd also argue that the hits early in the season or preseason last year (Downie) were worse than any of the hits this year.

As for the instigator, players used to avoid getting pulled into fights before the instigator was implemented. Players would continue to avoid being pulled into fights if the rule was changed. The NHL also doesn't want video of someone like Boogard knocking out a 5-9 agitator or pounding on him while he turtles on the ice. The size and strength of the fighters today makes the old school instigator rule a recipe for disaster.

The idea of waiving the instigator if it was an immediate reaction to a cheap shot by a player on the ice, is an interesting one. But it still very problematic, if there is a guy on the ice that needs medical attention.

The only thing that I can see having a real impact without serious potential side effects is to have meaningful suspensions from the NHL when these incidents happen. 2-3 games for accidental hits, five for intentional and ten for repeat offenders. Don't let teams dress a replacement for the suspended player. Also, none of the crap like the Flyers did last year. If you are suspended for ten games, it is the next ten games, no sending guys down to the AHL and calling them up to serve the suspension on their off days in the AHL.

Avery might have earned himself a game tonight. Took his gloves off behind Fedotenko's back and punched him in the face before he knew what was going on.

Aactually I think they were pretty even, but with ovie being a star and kaleta just an agitator of course kaleta is the one who would get suspended. People definately go to see Ovie play, not so many buy tickets just to see Kaleta.

Heres the video of Avery on Fedotenko.

Granted I'm a pens fan, but with Averys history and the downright ridiclousness of jumpin someone from behind he should get a few games..I even got the Rangers feed and even their own announcers are not happy with him.

43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

You really need to think before you speak, hockeyfreak. <_<

fair enough. i stand corrected.

i still dont believe that makes it worthy of a suspension. definitely a charge though in that case.

no need for your snide comment though. i made one mistake. sue me :rolleyes:

also, Colin Campbell has repeatedly mentioned "criteria" that they use for determining severity of the suspension. Distance traveled is a criterion used, whether it was actually called a charge or not.

Granted I'm a pens fan, but with Averys history and the downright ridiclousness of jumpin someone from behind he should get a few games..I even got the Rangers feed and even their own announcers are not happy with him.

it was pretty douchey.

however, the refs were pretty stupid in only issuing an instigator... when clearly, this was a pretty obvious case for an agressor. That extra game misconduct could come back to bite him later, because i'm sure he'll accrue more.

it was pretty douchey.

however, the refs were pretty stupid in only issuing an instigator... when clearly, this was a pretty obvious case for an agressor. That extra game misconduct could come back to bite him later, because i'm sure he'll accrue more.

Not to defend Avery...but as HNIC pointed out last night....do you see Fedo try to kick Avery's feet out from under him at :03 in?

it was pretty douchey.

Not to defend Avery...but as HNIC pointed out last night....do you see Fedo try to kick Avery's feet out from under him at :03 in?

Yea, you can see it at :57 too. Avery's reaction may have been a little over the top but Fedotenko did kick him.

to me it looked like talbot hit his leg first, then fedotenko maybe tried to, but missed a slew foot.

but there's right ways and wrong ways to go about beating his ass if you think he slew-footed you. this was not a right way.

I attended said game in question. Avery recieved 7 minutes in Penalties according to the jumbotron. However, Godard and Brash talked about something during that game, I'm gonna go out on a limb and they're gonna fight monday. Yes, Even from where I was sitting(top row of lower level) Tenko did kick Avery. However, classic case of 2 wrongs don't make a right.

it was pretty douchey.

That didn't seem to make a difference when Cooke did that to Kovalchuk last week. Kovy still ended up with the instigator for reacting to the cheap shot. Given Avery's history, it should be five games at a minimum.

He's not getting anything, stick him in the game on monday, that's where he'll get the retribution he deserves, if he's suspended that only protects him.

If someone decides to pay him back on Monday, they will get suspended. Randomly allowing people to hand out their own brand of justice while others are suspended is a recipe for disaster. Then again, so has Colin Campbell.