Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snobrder_ad

what stick length for a 6'4" (+2"or so with skates) tall punk?

Im new to the whole ice hockey scene, bought a couple cheap sherwood sticks with a couple different curves. Well, my skills and drill instructor nicely informed me that the sticks i had were too short. So what length stick should i look into for myself?

thanks gentlemen

Im new to the whole ice hockey scene, bought a couple cheap sherwood sticks with a couple different curves. Well, my skills and drill instructor nicely informed me that the sticks i had were too short. So what length stick should i look into for myself?

thanks gentlemen

well it all depends on your position and skating style. i am 6'5" w/o skates and i use a 60" and realy like it.

i used to play with a 5" plug but i tough my game suffered cause of that so i gave it a shot and since then i noticed my puck control, shots and passes have improved also the shorter stick allowed me to bend more the knees and have a more leaning position witch improved greatly my balance and overall skating.

I am 6'4" and I use a 60" stick with lie 6 and a 61" with lie 5. I would suggest getting a shaft and trying different lengths until you find what feels right.

thanks gentlemen

what makes him say they are to short? I've seen guys with sticks that I consider to short for me but they do fine with them. Same goes for being to long. I think alot of things like stance, lie, stick position, etc have to be taken into consideration. IMHO the right length is whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm 6'5", most woodies are too short for me so I would tend to agree with your coach.

I have a 60" OPS with a 2" extension. The stick goes to my adam's apple in skates. I think I could go an inch or 2 shorter but no more than that

I prefer for my sticks to be just below my neck line on skates which tends to be shorter than the average person. I know people that play with sticks that barely break their nipple lines, and others that are all the way up to the nose (all on skates).

Really just personal preference, but a general starting area is up to your chin on skates.

Poke around and see if you can find some pro stock sticks/shafts. A lot of those tend to be longer. My bf is 6'5" w/o skates and I tracked down a couple of prostock shafts and I still had to put a two inch extension in them... but if I had used a standard shaft that extension would have had to have been a lot longer. This puts the stick just under his chin.

There are a few wood sticks that are up to 62" long. Sherwood 9950, CCM GW, and 09 bauer one 75 are all at least 62", (sherwood 63')

Or find a good shaft and try different lengths that way. I like having a small wood plug on the top of my shafts for balance, you might want to take that into consideration when looking into shaft length and flex. I would ask your coach what length would be good for you. I think the best length is determined when your blade is flat on the ice when in your playing position. Some players stance is lower than others.

It's all personal preference. I'm 6'1'' and use a 3 inch plug on my Bauer X:Shift (equivalent to X:40 or just above). But I'm not bent too much when I skate so I need a longer stick. If you feel confortable now, don't change anything. If you are consistently whiffing (for lack of better word) on shots or passes, your stick may be too short. Check the tape on your blade too. If it's being used more towards the end of the blade, your stick may be too short or you may not have the proper lie. If it's used up on the heel, then your stick's possibly too long or you don't have the proper lie. If it's used up in the middle of the blade chances are that your stick is of adequate lenght for your style of play.

thanks for all the responses guys (and gal)... helps me immensely. Im not too sure on the stick length i have now, 54"?? maybe?? but the tape is worn on the toe. i tried another guys stick that i believe was a 60" and felt more natural with it, definitely fit me better. So i may just try and find myself a stick thats 60-62 and just buy a couple blades for it until i decide what curve fits me the best.

thanks again

My advice is the stick should come just under your chin when you stand it up against yourself on the tip of the bottom part of the blade. With your on skates it should reach somewhere between the top of your chest and adams apple. When your standing on your skates with the stick beside your hip, the bottom of your blade should be flat or almost flat on the ice. If your stick is too long it will sit on the heel ,with a space from about the middle to the top of the blade. This is not a preferential way to have your stick sitting when trying to take a pass because the puck will just go under the blade and you miss the pass. Some guys may like their stick slightly longer or shorter but you want to make sure the puck doesn't have room to pass underneath your blade when it sits on the ice and the butt end is beside your hip when you are on skates.

thanks gentlemen

Find a stick you like the feel of and put a composite plug in it, start long and slowly cut it down until it feels right on the ice! I am 6'7 and was using a 62 inch one85. Then I bought a Easton ST and put a plug in it. I tried it at chin height on skates but did not like the feel so I cut it down to just under my adams apple and that has worked out fine. One thing I recommend is a mid kick stick. The large swing arc gets the most out of it with a mid kick stick.(imo) I do not feel like I load the Easton near as much plus it ends up torquing a lot more. Hope it helps.

I would go for the wood plug over the composite as it is cheaper up front and you may find you cut it too much at some point.

I would go for the wood plug over the composite as it is cheaper up front and you may find you cut it too much at some point.

Good point. I went through one plug by cutting too short and then had to buy another to finally find the right length for me.

Similar height and what's always worked for me are pro stocks. Little bit harder to find, but worth it for the flex and length I like. Easton pro stocks, like the Grip Lites I posted yesterday, tend to be a few inches longer than retail. AK27 XL shafts work well too, but the flex isn't right for me. Cyclone Taylor used to have pro stock Eastons come up from time to time but the best bet is usually eBay.

Similar height and what's always worked for me are pro stocks. Little bit harder to find, but worth it for the flex and length I like. Easton pro stocks, like the Grip Lites I posted yesterday, tend to be a few inches longer than retail. AK27 XL shafts work well too, but the flex isn't right for me. Cyclone Taylor used to have pro stock Eastons come up from time to time but the best bet is usually eBay.

What about the AK flex do you not like? I was considering going that route but so far I am staying with the SUpreme line.