Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ivan

The "revolutionary" channel Z skate sharpening by Prosharp

Here we go: first Blademaster (those guys seem to have shut up some). Now these folks - Prosharp

http://www.prosharp.ca/editor_upload/111_P...harp%20News.jpg

http://www.prosharp.ca/Know_how.html

I'm sure this is something Blackstone Sports have taken into consideration before bringing the FBV to the market.

Too bad the end users (IMO) are the ones who are going to suffer as all this will require fighting patent infringements.

The price the inventor has to pay for the innovation that does work...

Edited by Ivan

Here we go: first Blademaster (those guys seem to have shut up some). Now these folks - Prosharp

http://www.prosharp.ca/editor_upload/111_P...harp%20News.jpg

http://www.prosharp.ca/Know_how.html

I'm sure this is something Blackstone Sports have taken into consideration before bringing the FBV to the market.

Too bad the end users (IMO) are the ones who are going to suffer as all this will require fighting patent infringements.

The price the inventor has to pay for the innovation that does work...

Neither the dressing system or shape is anything similar to the FBV. No copyright infringement at all.

I've been talking to Prosharp for quite some time about the Z and it sounds interesting and it has been tested pretty well in Sweden and by prosharp in Canada. I should be set up to do it in 2 weeks or so, after a few delays, my equipment has been shipped from Sweden. After we do the blind testing we'll see how it compares to the FBV. The FBV is going to be hard to beat for sure.

1, 5, and 10 on the picture look identical to what I've seen of the FBV....

I think that is supposed to be FBV for comparison? The C Channel are just those square cuts I think?

From the looks of it, it appears that this sharpening is going to result in edges that are completely perpendicular to the ice. I wonder how that will feel and how much an adjustment it will be coming from edges (either traditional sharpening or FBV) that are angled in relation to the ice.

Neither the dressing system or shape is anything similar to the FBV. No copyright infringement at all.

I've been talking to Prosharp for quite some time about the Z and it sounds interesting and it has been tested pretty well in Sweden and by prosharp in Canada. I should be set up to do it in 2 weeks or so, after a few delays, my equipment has been shipped from Sweden. After we do the blind testing we'll see how it compares to the FBV. The FBV is going to be hard to beat for sure.

I'd disagee. The trend has been set by Blackstone. Time will show.

Edited by Ivan

I dont know if this is the exact machine but i am 95% that this is the machine that my coach brings to the rink for us to use. I was talking to him about it one day and he said that it was quiet popular in sweden and that zetterberg has his own personal sharpener. I had decided to use it one game and just by looking at the blade it didnt seem that the entire blade had been sharpen and i could feel my edges not being completly there. Problem is that i don't usually use the 5/8 it was set at and usually use 7/16 so maybe it was because i was not use to the cut but i am still skeptical of the machine. I think i can say i have a little bit of background with sharpening to tell the difference between a good and bad sharpening (Sharpened skates for 3 1/2 years at a local pro shop). I still prefer the sharpening to be done manually.

Neither the dressing system or shape is anything similar to the FBV.

How exactly do they dress the wheel with that shape?

How exactly do they dress the wheel with that shape?

Ivan me w/ your e-mail by PM and I will forward you the spam I got from Prossharp.

I am a little biased here. Like I said in my previous post - time will show. The way I see it, nobody but Blackstone came up with a new concept that does wok. The rest of the folks have no choice but to try to fit in. It's all about the market share. The truth is that nobody ever thought about this until Blackstone came up with the FBV. I am not saying that FBV is gonna be the best. There's no limit to perfection. Again, time willl show. Yet ya'lll get the point.

Edited by Ivan

Ivan me w/ your e-mail by PM and I will forward you the spam I got from Prossharp.

I am a little biased here. Like I said in my previous post - time will show. The way I see it, nobody but Blackstone came up with a new concept that does wok. The rest of the folks have no choice but to try to fit in. It's all about the market share. The truth is that nobody ever thought about this until Blackstone came up with the FBV. I am not saying that FBV is gonna be the best. There's no limit to perfection. Again, time willl show. Yet ya'lll get the point.

Having someone innovate can often inspire others to do the same. Having people create new products is good for the industry as a whole. If it's a legit new product, I hope it does well. If it infringes, I'm sure it will be addressed.

We ain't gonna trash them if they're bettter, are we? The rreason I posted is that I smell somethign that ain't right IMO

I really don't get the Z channel, it doesn't make sense to me. I'd love to see some useful information or explanation of the concept. I don't get anything from the linked material or the stuff you emailed me. I'd be willing to try it to compare.

It doesn't look like it would be anything different than not sharpening the blade, which obviously doesn't work.

Tell that to speedskaters.

They sharpen them flat, and the corners are sharp enough to grab the ice. It's when those corners get rounded off that you have problems.

The dressing system uses long bits with the shape in it. Doesn't use spinners. I have a pic of the dressing bits, but don't remember my photobucket password and that's only way to post it on this board. Perhaps I can get it up later.

The Swede's aren't real good at details. Magnus Erikson however, explained to me that they tested the FBV in Europe and their players didn't really notice much difference, primarily because most of them are skating in the 3/4-1" hollow range. He said the FBV also lost an edge too easy for them. Said it worked well for skaters who were on deeper hollows but it really wasn't suitable for the average European player. Since that's their primary market, that's why they developed the Channel... to get more speed but not lose edges.

So far for now we all will have to guess (as we did for the FBV) until we can skate on it and compare it to the other methods. It may have it's niche, so why not another option. It's good for hockey.

Is anyone skating on the Z-Channel? Curious as to the feedback compared to the FBV now that it's been out for a bit.

That's funny. Jimmy wasn't pushing it on me so I figured I'd let someone else tell me their thoughts on it. :tongue: Not that I'm at all unhappy with the 3/4 FBV.

We don't push anything on anyone, but if you'd like to try it and compare it to the FBV, we strongly recommend it. Tom, next time you are in, give it a try. JR, send me a set with a SASE, I'll hook you up. We've been testing it in detail for a while now and results have been amazing. There are so many options with the ZC. It's not a "clone" of the FBV, not even remotely similar, but gives similar performance results, some say even better. Personally, I couldn't imagine anything better than FBV, but this is right up there. If any of my regulars are on this board, send me a set for a free testing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Can I send two sets, one for fbv and one for z channel equivalent to do a comparison for ourselves? I'll pay for both, of course.

I skated on Z Channel done by Bob aka Jimmy and am going back to FBV. I found ZC good for straight ahead skating, but I felt that I had less control and grip on turns.

I skated on Z Channel done by Bob aka Jimmy and am going back to FBV. I found ZC good for straight ahead skating, but I felt that I had less control and grip on turns.

Which setting did we do? Just like FBV's when it came out, you may have to experiment with different settings to find the right one for you. The ZC offers unlimited amount of bite if you want it. There are literally hundreds of different bite/speed combos.

ZC 4

I am very happy with FBV, so it was easier to go back to that than figure out exactly what permutation of ZC works best for me.

Which setting did we do? Just like FBV's when it came out, you may have to experiment with different settings to find the right one for you. The ZC offers unlimited amount of bite if you want it. There are literally hundreds of different bite/speed combos.

We don't push anything on anyone, but if you'd like to try it and compare it to the FBV, we strongly recommend it.

Yeah, push wasn't a good word to use seeing that gear I've gotten from your shop is from no one manufacturer.