Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Bob

Bauer XXX skate webpage up

I wouldn't be suprised if you see Bauer attach some marketing materials to the gloves explaining how you can just bring your gloves to a Bauer licensed dealer and for a fee they will send them out for repalming. With that, the dealer and Bauer will both get a cut of the price you will pay to have them repalmed (keeps both the dealer happy and Bauer happy at the same time).

So you ask "Why don't they just attach the replaming info and forget about including the second set of palms?" Well that is easy to answer. Bauer/Nike probably suspects that if they give you the second set of palms then you are more likely to think that Bauer is being so generous to attach a new set of palms that

1. You will ignore the fact that the original palms wore out so quickly because "Hey, I got another set or palms and a way to get them replaced so no big deal."

2. You are more likely to return to the Bauer dealer to get the palms done again since the extra palms are Bauer ones and you wouldn't want anybody else handling them except for Bauer. I am probably not going out on a limb in saying that Bauer will probably also provide an extra palm warranty too if you use a licensed dealer for the repalming transaction. The added warranty will make you, the consumer, think the Bauer dealer route is the best way to go when you are looking to get the gloves repalmed.

Finally, I suspect that the price may be lower because Bauer expects to make some additional money on the back end of things with the profits they make from the repalming of the gloves. It's the same thing razor companies use when selling you their razors. The initial razor price is very cheap but that is because they make up their money in future blade sales. Same thing is going on in the video game console industry too.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

This high-priced, high performance, low durability trend is getting out of hand if the XXX gloves are indeed shipping with extra palms, pardon the pun. The choice is always there to repalm with a thicker material, but still. I just hope the other manufacturers don't feel like they also have to make their own gloves less durable in order to compete.

This high-priced, high performance, low durability trend is getting out of hand if the XXX gloves are indeed shipping with extra palms, pardon the pun. The choice is always there to repalm with a thicker material, but still. I just hope the other manufacturers don't feel like they also have to make their own gloves less durable in order to compete.

As long as people keep buying things based solely on weight I'd count on the industry heading that way.

I don't think that is their thinking.

Mission had a great idea with the L2 combo. It sold well because of it, and like I told guys at Mission, I had my skeptics at first who were like "What is this, their stuff is so cheap that they include two blades because they know it's gonna break?" Then after, they figured it out, and some customers bought a L2 shaft so they had two complete sticks.

Palms just are not the answer. Most people end up buying new gloves more often than they repalm.

Skates with extra runners would've made more sense...

i agree with the skate part with extra runners especially with XXX's the palms from what ive seen are pretty sweet but only sad thing is there attached by some plastic piece so i know that at my store customers are going to rip them off and steal them. But the gloves feel so sweet im considering gettin a pair but I doubt it

I don't think that their materials are cheap, I just think that they are not going to be the longest lasting palms in the business. They may be great for performance but because of the materials they are going to be using they just won't be as durable as some other palms attached to other brands of gloves. This way they will be offering the best palms as far as performance goes and they can almost assure the dealers and themselves that they will get some repeat spending by adding a second pair to be attached at a later time. A lot of players/parents have no idea about getting gloves repalmed and this will give the store owners an in. People interested in the gloves will ask "Why two sets of palms?" and the owner will reply "Let me introduce you to the Bauer palm replacement service we will be offering at our store. It's just like the pros use..." It's really not a bad idea at all because if the gloves are great then the owners can just get them conveniently repalmed when they wear out. The consumers will like this because the repalming will probably be less expensive than just buying a whole new pair of gloves. Bauer and the shops will still be happy because they will get the money they normally would have made on just selling a new pair of gloves without having to actually sell a whole new pair of gloves. Also, local shops will probably get more money because people who bought online will probably bring the gloves to the local shop when the palms need to be replaced. I can imagine the whole thing being a win-win-win situation for all (buyer-LHS-Bauer). Product packaging and marketing at its finest.

The Mission L-2 is a different beast. Most people don't need their local shop to replace an old blade but, if it's cost effective to attach a second blade to move more product then it's another win-win for at least the buyer and the manufacturer (in this case Mission). Plus, the user might get used to the blades after going through two of them and just keep buying more instead of moving on to a different brand like a lot of people do.

...Great Skate told me that the XXX skates will be going for $479.99 USD. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing these skates.

Graz - PLEASE tell me you aren't an Ohio State fan. If so, we could have some issues here :angry:

I'm not impressed with those gloves. If that palm is what I think, i'll be sticking to my XXs. Skates, they look really nice, almost like an 8090 in Vapor form. Stick looks really nice too, and it's supposed to be a lighter version of the XX, that's all I've heard from Bauer. Not as light as Stealth though either, but honestly, there is such thing as too light of a stick, and when I used a stealth, it was almost to that point. :unsure:

Cavs, you back on the Vapor bandwagon ;)

...He might be on the bandwagon, but I on the other hand, just hopped off for the first time since they were released. That's right: I bought new skates; AND THEY AREN'T VAPORS!

I was at the Amherst Pepsi Center Monday night, killing time before our game, looking through the pro-shop, and I decided to try the G-35s on (again). For some reason (don't ask me why) the skates that I tried on felt much better then the first pair I tried awhile ago. Soon, the guy there had them baked up and on my feet; and I just fell in love when he let me take them out for a spin during the Open Skate. I can see the T'Blades taking me awhile to get used to, but other then that they felt perfect. After much time sitting and trying to decide to get the Grafs or to remain loyal to the Vapors and wait for the XXXs, I told the employee there to box 'em and ring 'em up.

My Vapor XXs are now on a farewell tour. They skated in their last practice tonight, and will (probably) see action for the last time in our game tomorrow night. After that, I have practices Friday and Saturday, where I hope I can get the boots of the Grafs totally broken in and get myself used to the T'Blades.

I really felt like I actually could cut a little harder with the T'Blades as I was just putting around on them. I never really believed all the hype, but it really felt to me like it might be true. I would like to give them a shot. If they don't work for me, I will probably put the Lightspeeds on the G-35s and put the T'Blades up for sale, maybe get a few bucks. That's yet-to-be-seen, though.

It may be a little to adjust because of the pitch, but at least you see some posotives in the T'blades. Good luck and I hope the skates work out for you.

XX will stay at the same price, they still sell like hotcakes and the jump from 399 to 469 is pretty significant.

lkpt, as soon as you see the XXX your going to want a pair. I will guarantee that.

Tried on the XXX gloves today at my lhs...they're !@#$ light!! Look real nice, but really...it's like they're not even on your hand...felt a little looser than the XX or XV though, but maybe that was just because everyone was trying them on! :P