Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jsykes

Easton EQ5 skate canceled?

So the manager at the LHS I work at part time told me today that he was just notified by Easton that the EQ5 has been canceled. They had gotten too far behind schedule on the production of them and they dont want to introduce them during the summer or have them collide with other fall releases, so they were dead, at least for now.

Anyone else hear anything about this. I was told this in passing over the phone today so I didnt get all the details, so just wondered if anyone else had any more details on this.

Who knows but I feel like they wouldn't have put Hall in EQ5s for his promotional stuff if they were going to cancel the skate.

Doesn't make a lot of sense given that I actually tried on the EQ3 to get a sense of sizing on the EQ5. Why would they be able to produce the price point skate and already have it in stores but not be able to produce the top end skate?

Doesn't make sense at all, why would they ''cancel'' their skates?

Developent team doesn't stop because of a production issue. No sense making a limited run of a skate when it's replacement is already being finalized.

Not sure. Again, just got a piece of the story today and wont be back at the shop for some time to get the rest (manager told me over phone from his home today). I posted this hoping someone else from an LHS or JR might have heard something and could fill us in.

Doesn't make sense at all, why would they ''cancel'' their skates?

if a product, for whatever reason, can't be produced in the form it was intended, ESPECIALLY if it's a marquee product like a top of the line skate, manufacturer's have the opportunity to drop it from the upcoming product line, giving themselves time to solve the issue and and/or reintroduce it, as opposed to releasing it knowing that it has issues, or, in the case of a materials shortage, not having enough to adequately fill orders (which in turn, makes it look like a failure).

Who knows but I feel like they wouldn't have put Hall in EQ5s for his promotional stuff if they were going to cancel the skate.

the timelines are so tight in new product production that an issue could have risen two days ago that halts production while the promo shots were taken three weeks ago when everything was looking swell. non related example : the chevy volt has been advertised as "coming soon" for YEARS.

This would be a colossal case of mega-fail for Easton. I'm sincerely hoping this is not true.

it will be embarrassing, thats for sure... but not quite as colossal of a mega-fail as forging ahead with production when there are known issues, just so that they have a skate to go along with the shiny new endorsee.

Doesn't make a lot of sense given that I actually tried on the EQ3 to get a sense of sizing on the EQ5. Why would they be able to produce the price point skate and already have it in stores but not be able to produce the top end skate?

eq3 is a lower end model, likely using more common materials and/or production techniques. clearly there is a lot separating the eq3 from the eq5, as they (for all we know) haven't run into any issues producing the price point model we are seeing in stores.

i'm just addressing comments here. purely speculation on my behalf with regards to production issues, merely posing examples. i've been involved in hugely anticipated product launches that haven't gone as planned, for a variety of reasons, so i wanted to shed some insight.

Like I said, Icewarehouse had the skate's information up on their page with pre-order statues and now the line stops at the EQ3.

the timelines are so tight in new product production that an issue could have risen two days ago that halts production while the promo shots were taken three weeks ago when everything was looking swell. non related example : the chevy volt has been advertised as "coming soon" for YEARS.

Cough Duke Nukem Forever Cough

if a product, for whatever reason, can't be produced in the form it was intended, ESPECIALLY if it's a marquee product like a top of the line skate, manufacturer's have the opportunity to drop it from the upcoming product line, giving themselves time to solve the issue and and/or reintroduce it, as opposed to releasing it knowing that it has issues, or, in the case of a materials shortage, not having enough to adequately fill orders (which in turn, makes it look like a failure).

So it's what Microsoft should have done with the 2005 launch of the Xbox 360.

Wait. Nevermind. 5 years later and those things still get rrod.

lol.

Please, I just want to reiterate that I do not want to start rumors here. I heard a tidbit of a story today from my manager as he knew I was waiting to see this skate, I dont know details, so dont want to speak out of place. I was just hoping someone else here might have heard something and can fill in some of the blanks.

Thanks.

The obvious red flag for the EQ5 skate was it's no show status in the Cup playoffs.

I thought I saw at least a couple guys wearing them, or at least wearing skates that looked like them. I forget when it was but there was definitely at least one time I remember rewinding the DVR to get a better look at a pair of skates and the skates ended up being what I thought were EQ5's.

EDIT: It was Arron Asham, pics below

http://www.sportsnet.ca/gallery/2010/04/16/brodeur_640.jpg

http://media.nj.com/devils_main/photo/devi...c8941_large.jpg

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/KO2NNw8qd73...4LG/Arron+Asham

Cough Duke Nukem Forever Cough

HAHA! The only difference there is that a lot of people would love to see Duke make a come back tour!

Or, from an optimistic point of view, maybe they're trying to release it at the same time as the CCM U+CL and deliberately collide with it...? :rolleyes:

1. How could I miss Aaron Asham wearing EQ5s?

or

2. If Aaron Asham is the Easton poster boy for EQ5s, "Houston, we have a problem."

The new skate will be the EQ-50. The EQ5 will eventually be sold in Canada only, but production has been delayed. The EQ4 has been canx as well. It's not a quality issue, rather they wanted to make it better and more appealing to the masses. I'm just guessing, but the new CEO prob has something to do with it.

The obvious red flag for the EQ5 skate was it's no show status in the Cup playoffs.

Aaron Asham had them!! But then again nobody is watching Aaron Asham in comparison to the big guys

or

2. If Aaron Asham is the Easton poster boy for EQ5s, "Houston, we have a problem."

Haha, Agreed! If it makes you feel Dan Cleary wears them too!

It does make sense that the new skate will be EQ50 rather then EQ5, i was confused when the rumors of the EQ50 stick didnt match the current EQ5 names

ip42dt.jpg

or

My point wasn't about who was wearing them. It was simply about the fact that the skates were used in the playoffs, they were not absent as had been claimed.