Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2010-2011 Gear Sightings

Anyone else notice that James Neal is wearing a different style pant than the rest of the team in the Winter Classic uniforms. Neals pant has the same striping as the Pens regular uniform set, in the Winter Classic colors. The rest of the team is wearing the "v" pant striping from the Winter Classic. Thought that was kinda odd.

He and Engelland had Easton shells and they were slightly different from everyone else , ie. bauer, reebok , ccm , and warrior

Those are very nice gloves. I already like the fit and specs of the AK and that color scheme would fit my team colors just about perfectly.

I'm in the same boat Chadd, I really like the fit of the gloves, and they really are nice looking with the toned down design that has been worn by Perron in St. Louis, and now Kovalev in Pittsburgh. I think Warrior dropped the ball by not offering them in "normal" colors that are more friendly to those that do not want the eye-grabbing sublimated graphics. It almost makes me sad knowing the prices these gloves will go for when they get to eBay sometime this summer. I would love for Warrior to release a "plain" version of these in the "normal" options (black, navy, red, etc.). But, it looks like they are discontinued in favor of the Luxe line.

I never noticed Kovy's stick length, how high does his stick come up to ?

The photo is a bit deceiving, but his stick is really short. I think it comes up to his collar bone.

my friends dad was the director of kovalevs movie and he gave my friend a signed stick, i can def say his sticks realy short.

Any idea what the lie is on it?

hmm will ask him if he knows, but from the look of the because, it seems like a very low lie

hmm will ask him if he knows, but from the look of the because, it seems like a very low lie

I have his blades, huge rocker on it so lie can be anything

i know this was talked about a while ago but was at the Hartford whale game on sat and it looks like most of the guys have adopted the extra padding on the backs of their gloves like the rangers are using. i also had a friend of my ask the EM about the extra protection and they said it was extra protection for shot blocking

photo.JPG

I have his blades, huge rocker on it so lie can be anything

No, the lie can't be "anything". The rocker allows the blade to be used at a larger number of angles by reducing the amount of usable blade at any one angle. That said, no matter how much of a rocker is on the bottom, the actual angle between the shaft and blade is still always the same.

And the actual angle of the shaft as it relates to his hands changes from when the blade lies with the heel on the ice or when the toe lies on the ice. Imagine a rocking chair, please. The blade has no true one number only lie.

And the actual angle of the shaft as it relates to his hands changes from when the blade lies with the heel on the ice or when the toe lies on the ice. Imagine a rocking chair, please. The blade has no true one number only lie.

The angle between the shaft and blade never changes. Any changes come from the user in terms of hand placement, not a morphing of the stick.

And lie is how the blade lies on the ice relative to your hands position..........

That explains why you feel the way you do. The problem is that it allows you to call any blade, any lie you want and is highly inaccurate. It may help you sell sticks to people, but it doesn't help people find sticks that are right for them. It also leads to mismatching numbers from manufacturers.

Take a stick and put the middle of the blade on the ground with the toe and heel equally distant from the floor and you have the natural lie of the blade. Obviously the more rocker on the bottom, the more flexibility you have if the puck isn't in perfect position. You still have the same center point of the rocker. By your reasoning a stick with a natural lie of 5 and a natural lie of 7 would both have some "universal lie" because they were rockered on the bottom.

I'm not debating the usefulness of rockering, just that it is important to know the actual center point.

The rockering of blades has happened within the lifetime of OPS. When wood dominated the market, rockered blades were few and far between. As to educating consumers, the lies as numbered on sticks are a joke. I have just taken an Easton Hall, 5.5 lie and measured it at the "center point"(where the blade lies flat)against a Bauer P02(Lidstrom clone), lie 7. The two butt ends should be apart from one another, correct? Well, they actually are sitting on top of one another! I never sell sticks based on the lie as listed on the stick. I sell sticks based on how the player wants to control the puck. If he wants to control the puck and is comfortable with the puck close to his body, he can look for a lie 6 as a place to begin. If he wants to control the puck farther away from his body, is comfortable with that, and can avoid poke checks, he can look for a lie 5 as a place to begin. However, as I have said and seen once again just now, lies as labeled are not true. Otherwise, how does a Warrior Draper(Easton Hall clone, lie 5.5) get off being labeled a lie 5? Two exact shapes that are labeled with different lies.

Otherwise, how does a Warrior Draper(Easton Hall clone, lie 5.5) get off being labeled a lie 5? Two exact shapes that are labeled with different lies.

I'm guessing it goes to the same old reasoning as to why certain companies clothing or shoes fit differently?

The rockering of blades has happened within the lifetime of OPS. When wood dominated the market, rockered blades were few and far between. As to educating consumers, the lies as numbered on sticks are a joke. I have just taken an Easton Hall, 5.5 lie and measured it at the "center point"(where the blade lies flat)against a Bauer P02(Lidstrom clone), lie 7. The two butt ends should be apart from one another, correct? Well, they actually are sitting on top of one another! I never sell sticks based on the lie as listed on the stick. I sell sticks based on how the player wants to control the puck. If he wants to control the puck and is comfortable with the puck close to his body, he can look for a lie 6 as a place to begin. If he wants to control the puck farther away from his body, is comfortable with that, and can avoid poke checks, he can look for a lie 5 as a place to begin. However, as I have said and seen once again just now, lies as labeled are not true. Otherwise, how does a Warrior Draper(Easton Hall clone, lie 5.5) get off being labeled a lie 5? Two exact shapes that are labeled with different lies.

Different companies have slightly different ways of measuring lies (Warrior especially), but within any one company there is certainly a large difference between a 4, 5, 6 or 7 lie (though most companies do not offer this full range). Lie clearly makes a large difference even with rockered blades, as you ideally want somewhere near the middle of the blade being the primary point of contact when shooting. Too much lie and your shot will be affected by shooting too much from the heel (plus you'll have trouble catching passes/stick handling near the toe of your blade), too little lie and the opposite is true, you'll be shooting too much off the toe. Not sure how you can imply that lie doesn't make a difference with rockered blades, even a change of 0.5 lie makes a significant difference to my shot with a rockered blade.

As for comparing two lies to one another, imo the best way is to just hold the two shafts together, and look at how the angle of the blade is different. Just look for which angle the bulk of the blade goes in, don't try to perfectly line up the heel or toe, it's always obvious which blade is at a higher or lower angle, regardless of the rocker. I'm sure when you compare your Bauer lie 7 Lidstrom to your Easton lie 5.5 Sakic using this method the difference will be obvious, since Easton and Bauer measure lies very similarly.

I got this off of PSHG, it's Ben Lovejoy's pattern. Kinda ridiculous for a d-man. I see now why he doesn't hit the net very often...

189961_10150215595749745_622599744_8978338_508765_n.jpg

You should have seen Al MacInnis curve back when he was blasting them past goalies with a Sher-wood 7000. Somebody must have a picture of that stick.