Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

Quick question for anyone who has the 7 or 8 MLX skates - What size are the holders? 272mm or another size?

280mm on the size 8 MLX skates, size 9 had 288mm. So 7's should have 272's?

Good to know. Since they're bolted on instead of rivited they'd be easy to replace yourself too. So if someone bought the skates and an extra set of holders and ever had an issue they could make the swap themselves easily enough. That does certainly alleviate that concern. It'd be nice to get extra steel too, but they'll likely add that eventually.

The holders come with the steel.

280mm on the size 8 MLX skates, size 9 had 288mm. So 7's should have 272's?

Thanks. That makes sense. I usually use 272 and I believe my foot is just a touch too long for 7 based on the measurements, maybe there's a chance I could squeeze into a wide version (7 1/4 or 7 1/2 E would probably be ideal), but it's all academic at this piont. I was just curious.

The holders come with the steel.

Makes sense now. I guess I'm used to the higher prices in Canada. That price wouldn't usually include both up here, but I took a quick look on the US online sites and now see that that's a pretty normal price for holders and steel.

Thanks. That makes sense. I usually use 272 and I believe my foot is just a touch too long for 7 based on the measurements, maybe there's a chance I could squeeze into a wide version (7 1/4 or 7 1/2 E would probably be ideal), but it's all academic at this piont. I was just curious.

You would probably still be able to to fit a 7 if your just outside their online sizing. I was in the middle of size 9 range for MLX's online sizing (although normally wear a 8 in Bauer) but when I tried the 9's they were way to big. The 8's are a great fit for me.

You would probably still be able to to fit a 7 if your just outside their online sizing. I was in the middle of size 9 range for MLX's online sizing (although normally wear a 8 in Bauer) but when I tried the 9's they were way to big. The 8's are a great fit for me.

Good to know. How did you try them on? Did you go to an event or order some and then return them for another size?

Good to know. How did you try them on? Did you go to an event or order some and then return them for another size?

You size yourself up via their online chart, order, bake them, and if they don't fit after the bake, return them for the proper size.

You can't try them on without baking, you'll experience immense pain and maybe even cry.

"Carbon fiber thermoplastic holder" Didn't Easton try this with their first generation of skates? I recall it being way too stiff as well as needing a special skate holder to sharpen. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Any new discounts this week on MLX? End of year inventory sale.

I thought the reason those Easton's needed a special holder to sharpen was because the holder was oddly shaped, not because of the material. I could be wrong though.

The Easton holder was oddly shaped. Was that a result of how they had to use the material to design the holder in order for it to structurally work or not, is a question I do not have the answer to. Either way, the holder was not successful in the long run.

The problem with the Easton Razor Bladz was that there was barely space between the front and rear tower. Most skate sharpening holders have a plate and a yoke, so, the only way to sharpen them was to remove the steel and sharpen them that way, which was an inconvenience.

There are some holders that would accommodate that holder though - the Blackstone Scissor Clamp as well as Blademaster's current custom radius holders, as all it does is clamp the steel.

A guy on our team was still using the Eastons last year. Looked like a Kevlar blend. I was thinking more of a fiber/resin mix.

Holders are a thermoplastic resin (looks like) from the HDPE family (high density polyethylene), no fiber. Add some fiber and the plastic is tougher and stronger. We use HDPE for our water-ski boot sole plates. It's cheap and easy to work with, not toxic. But it will break down, cracks and can't be repaired.

Not as brittle as polycarb which is the clear "lexan" used on the LS2's. we used that for a bit too, years ago, snaps in an instant. Too brittle. I still skate on those LS2 clears. Speaking of which just got my "FMX iScores" composite skates done last nite. Took them for a rip during Mites practice. Got the alignment right and they are sweet so light. Headed for a game on Friday. If I may post a pix I will do it (Can i, can i?). I got read the riot act last time I posted any links on this site.

MLX emailed me today and said a new pair of wide boots were on the production line for me. Said it would take a week and they would ship me a return label for my first pair.

I originally ordered a pair of size 9 which I found to big as soon as I put them on. They sent me the size 8's on next day air with a return shipping label for the size 9's at no cost. I have found the Canadian distributor great to deal with through out the whole process.

The 50% codes are still working - just purchased my MLX's. Can't wait to try them out. I want to thank all of you commenting on these skates and the interactions you have had with the company. We are use to being skeptical of promotions and manufacturer claims. You guys have made it real life.

I am excited about this company as well. I really hope they are successful because they really seem to have good ideas which they obviously can make come to fruition.

WaGzGr8

Southern Maine Hockey

If anyone in Pittsburgh is interested, the shop at RMU has the MLX skate on display. I didnt inquire as to waht sizes they have or what they are charging for them, but if you want to get a good look at one, it is there. Definitely an interesting skate.

what kind of feet do you guys have? I am a US size 12, usually E but almost no arch in my foot with a wide forefoot and a narrow heel. I busted my old skates when I broke my ankle and if I can get these at the discount, that would be awesome assuming they would fit.

The 50% codes are still working - just purchased my MLX's. Can't wait to try them out. I want to thank all of you commenting on these skates and the interactions you have had with the company. We are use to being skeptical of promotions and manufacturer claims. You guys have made it real life.

I am excited about this company as well. I really hope they are successful because they really seem to have good ideas which they obviously can make come to fruition.

WaGzGr8

Southern Maine Hockey

ya WaGzGr8, the codes are still up on youtube if you go to their videos. 50% off still. Make sure you post a review/pictures here once you get a chance to try them out. This thread could definitely benefit from that.

ya WaGzGr8, the codes are still up on youtube if you go to their videos. 50% off still. Make sure you post a review/pictures here once you get a chance to try them out. This thread could definitely benefit from that.

Um, have you not read through this thread already? There are plenty of pictures and smallish reviews on them here already.

what kind of feet do you guys have? I am a US size 12, usually E but almost no arch in my foot with a wide forefoot and a narrow heel. I busted my old skates when I broke my ankle and if I can get these at the discount, that would be awesome assuming they would fit.

[/quote

MLX sizing chart

In my experience, they fit similar length wise to a Bauer skate

Um, have you not read through this thread already? There are plenty of pictures and smallish reviews on them here already.

I could not believe it today when my wife called me and said she thought my skates came today. I ordered them Thursday after 5 pm EST. They were on my counter in Maine at noon on Monday. Unbeleivable. I did not upgrade my shipping so the company must have themselves.

I have a already "cooked" them as my 3 year old stated. I have them on right now - in the cooling stage.

It is unbelivable how comfortable these things are. Really, it is like a damn sneaker. The arch feels a bit high which I like. That is probably because my CCM's Vector 5.0's are flat.

I have a league game in two hours, so I am playing on them tonight. I will give a bit of a review upon return.

I will post some pictures too - as requested.