Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

In one of the MLX videos on YouTube, Dave Cruikshank talks about baking his and skating in them a few hours later. Not sure what their actual recommended cool down time is, but just an FYI that apparently you can skate in them in less than 24 hours unlike other skates.

In one of the MLX videos on YouTube, Dave Cruikshank talks about baking his and skating in them a few hours later. Not sure what their actual recommended cool down time is, but just an FYI that apparently you can skate in them in less than 24 hours unlike other skates.

I skated on my new MLX's today and puck drop was exactly 2 hours after I baked 'em. No problems. They feel soooooooo good. What a new concept.

I could not believe it today when my wife called me and said she thought my skates came today. I ordered them Thursday after 5 pm EST. They were on my counter in Maine at noon on Monday. Unbeleivable. I did not upgrade my shipping so the company must have themselves.

I have a already "cooked" them as my 3 year old stated. I have them on right now - in the cooling stage.

It is unbelivable how comfortable these things are. Really, it is like a damn sneaker. The arch feels a bit high which I like. That is probably because my CCM's Vector 5.0's are flat.

I have a league game in two hours, so I am playing on them tonight. I will give a bit of a review upon return.

I will post some pictures too - as requested.

So here it is. I was some sort of screwed up on my first shift. The blades are WAY different than the ones I had been skating on for a long time. Though I was screwed up at first I felt ALOT more power in these blades/skates than my old ones. The high arch felt odd at first but my feet did not get fatigued at all and I attribute that to the immense amount of support these skates have in the rigid boot and quality footbed.

I can only liken it to skating in quality cross-trainers. It was amazing. It felt odd and intriging at the same time. By the end of my first game I had NO FOOT PAINS at all. Brand new skates and no pains - odd I know.

All I can say is if you have the money or want a change - buy these skates. I love them. Now I have never skated on the highest end skates like CL's or TotalOnes, but I surely am improved by these MLX's. I truly felt power in the skates themselves rather than feeling like I needed more out of myself.

anyone in bare feet??

Since using the heat-molded liners I have been skating without a sock (for like 6 years now). So if I can't go sock less with the MLX I'll be bummed out.

Another couple of things I've realized with skate development is it's got to be good or better (that what you were on) almost immediately. And a competitive game situation is absolutely necessary to test the performance of a skate design. At least for me.

anyone in bare feet??

Since using the heat-molded liners I have been skating without a sock (for like 6 years now). So if I can't go sock less with the MLX I'll be bummed out.

Another couple of things I've realized with skate development is it's got to be good or better (that what you were on) almost immediately. And a competitive game situation is absolutely necessary to test the performance of a skate design. At least for me.

I skate bare foot and did so the one time I used my MLX's last night. Felt better than great.

I'm so tempted to buy a pair. I've always had very difficult feet to fit into skates, and these seems like they might be just what I'm looking for. Especially since I've been hearing great things about their customer service if there is an issue.

that means I won't see my pr. until 2011. just in time to hang them up.. :ohmy:

there is a new mlx youtube video about flexion or ankle <-> movement. stating MLX offers more flex angle, yet retains lateral support. I don't agree with that simplification and approach.

It's actually pretty complex...What I found is that when you drop in to accelerate, there is forward flex to a point, after that opposing resistance needs to kick in as if loading up a spring. This is why i use carbon fiber for most of the ankle area and compression part of my boot. The boot and leg then rebounds releasing that compressed energy into the stride.

The amount of support up the ankle (ie boot depth) is really critical. 0.100 of an inch can make a difference. And this support needs to be progressive. Starts with the sole and lower body of the skate stiffest for a solid chassis, progressively allowing more flex or freedom of movement as the boot flares up to about 6 1/2" above the floor. That freedom of movement hits limits (i call stops) so you can lean on it in a turn and know where the limits are. SO there is a trade-off game support v.s freedom and it needs to be finely adjustable.

Couple of other notes about skates:

A carbon toe (as in the MLX) is kinda useless and costly.

That whole reduction in negative space thing that Bauer has going is balls. You need space between the outer shell and foot for protection. Take away all that and it's puck to bone. what are they thinkin?

Couple of other notes about skates:

A carbon toe (as in the MLX) is kinda useless and costly.

That whole reduction in negative space thing that Bauer has going is balls. You need space between the outer shell and foot for protection. Take away all that and it's puck to bone. what are they thinkin?

The space between is not needed and reduces responsiveness. If the shell of the skate dissipates the impact well enough it wont matter. Never mind all the shot blockers people wear now a days.

I think the Bauer logic is that in the past, skate materials were less rigid, such that there needed to be some space within the skate to accomodate the give of the boot from an impact, but that the need for this space lead to a delay in skate blade response and feel. With more rigid materials, there is less give and the stress of the impact is spread more over the boot over a larger area. In the ideal instance, an infinitely rigid shell with no give would not need any cushioning space beneath it at all.

I can't argue with them. I would never block shots with my leather Graf skates, or even with my older ballistic nylon skates, but have taken a lot of pucks off my Kors and my One75s without much discomfort in the foot at all. I suspect the carbon toe is there to address the potential splitting at the junction of the toecap and boot, as has happened in my Kors, which I still dearly love and wear for coaching. Regardless, although your skate design and the MLX skate design may work for many, including myself, clearly some skaters are happy in a super soft skate, as evidenced by the market (albeit small) for something like the Graf 707. I have played with two excellent skaters that use soft skates, and they are able to use their ankle flex to do maneuvers in the corners that make me hurt to watch. Imagine a tight pivot, but with the inside skate on an "inside" edge. Ouch, yet they dance around me every time!

MLX ran a day late shipping my custom (wide) skates. So they emailed me, apologized, told me exactly why they were a day late to be shipped, and next day aired them to me on their dime. This is by FAR the best customer service that I have ever received in any industry. Bar none.

An initial observation...the quality of these boots are MUCH nicer, especially the carbon fiber work. The ugly heel section of the boots initially are nearly flawless now. Same with the toe. They be selling quiet a few of these because their workmanship has stepped it up a notch or two since my first pair.

Can anyone comment to the better forward flex that the vids claim for these skates? Is it really significantly better than skates you've used in the past? Make any sort of difference in acceleration or top end speed?

Can anyone comment to the better forward flex that the vids claim for these skates? Is it really significantly better than skates you've used in the past? Make any sort of difference in acceleration or top end speed?

Yes the flex is better. I did a couple of pretty comprehensive posts earlier in the thread.

Size 8 = 850 grams on my food scale.

Project then Sz 11/12's are

(11/8)*850 about 1100 grams hmmm...that is too heavy.

I'm on 950 gram skates now, full steel 296mm blade.

Total ones are 700 but they use an aluminum blade.

Ever wonder why smaller guys skate quicker?? The weight of skates (250+250) a pound total off the lower legs is a lot!

Ever wonder why smaller guys skate quicker?? The weight of skates (250+250) a pound total off the lower legs is a lot!

Not sure that math holds... you're assuming a linear relationship between weight and shoe size and I think that is likely an incorrect assumption, since whatever youth size is smaller than a size 1 is obviously not 0g.

A lot of the weight of MXL skates is in the longer (larger, like more of it) steel as well as the stainless steel hardware. I've taken the holder and hardware off and it's a really light boot!

Yeah... I don't buy the linear math here. Your size 12 would have to use exactly double the material of a size 6. Boot length would be double, width and height would be about 1.5 * greater. Trim and decoration would have to be double. Blade and holder would have to be double in height and length. That would be one tall blade and holder. Screws and hardware would have to be double the diameter and length.

Your short skater theory holds a few flaws as well. You don't take into account stride length, Strength:Weight,technique etc.

A shorter person often appears to be skating faster but that's an illusion created by strides/minute of a person with short strides vs a person with long strides.

By your assumption a 5'0 child with good technique would be faster than a 6'0 adult with equally good technique. Even at my advanced age I don't know any 5'0 children that can out skate me end to end or even end to blue line