Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

Has there been any indication by MLX that they plan on making a deeper boot or is this all speculation?

I have been speaking with them about it. Latest word is that it's at least a couple months away if it's going to happen. Apparently, they have the capability to do it, but it hasn't been tested sufficiently at this point. I don't know if perceived demand has any influence over timing.

Tom, how's the MLX's feeling? I'm so going to have a goal skate modified!

Skated in them twice so far and I have to say I am impressed. I am going to need to see if you can stretch the right skate for me as my toes are just a bit too cramped against the toe box.

My opinion is it is not a bad skate for their first entry (although I am sure that they went through a number of prototypes). I supposedly have a wide shell and width wise it seems fine, but it is a little too shallow for my foot. I think the liner needs some work; needs to cover the eyelets and the liner at the bottom of the heel pocket is open and seems as if it might eventually become an issue. I wonder what the hole pattern between theirs and Lightspeeds are like?

The performance was good. Had good agility, balance, but thought my first step or two was slower, but that might be just perception and not reality and the fact that I was wearing new skates. I really liked the Easton S17 and wish that Easton would make a lower cut boot. That with the coil technology would be a great performing skate.

I plan to alternate these skates (will get them tweaked) with my TotalOnes and do a better comparison since they are both performance skates. I have no idea of what MLX intentions are, but the skate is going to have some minor improvements made including more depth if they want to compete in the current market.

Keep in mind that Hiller's cowlings are exclusive to him, if that is something you are trying to get a hold of as well.

Being a goalie, when he was profiling my skates and looking at the construction his thoughts were: take off the tendon guard and change the holders to a cowling and you have a goalie skate. I have not seen Hiller's goal skates, but am willing to bet you may have seen them close up and would know how similar/dissimilar they are to the regular MLX skates. :smile:

Hiller has had the composite cowlings for quite some time now.

I don't know about all that now - goal skates had all the structure from the cowling - hell, most goal skates don't have an outsole.

Is anyone else finding that the liner seems to soak up sweat? Skate seems to be much heavier than my One95's with clarino liner and my TotalOne's with the X60 liner after a 2-hour skate.

Is anyone else finding that the liner seems to soak up sweat? Skate seems to be much heavier than my One95's with clarino liner and my TotalOne's with the X60 liner after a 2-hour skate.

You can feel the weight of 10cc's by volume of sweat that might be absorbed by a skate?

I'm amazed at the comments about some tape being lighter on a stick blade thus effecting performance, or the wind resistance from a loose jersey slowing you down, but really sweat retention in a skate liner?!

Perhaps a study is in order. Weigh them on a gram scale prior to skating then weigh then after skating. Repeat with your totalOnes. I'd suspect however they feel heavier because they ARE heavier than your TO's

Using the weight of water as an example; one cc of water = ~1gram by weight. Assuming you sweat 10cc's from your foot you've got 10 grams. Now assuming your TO's soak up half that and your MLX's soak up all of that you've got a 5 gram difference. For reference a raisin weighs about a gram. Can you really feel the weight of 5 raisins at the end of your foot?

Where does the extra 5cc's of sweat go in your TO's?

Why don't your socks absorb it?

What about the weight of the sweat absorbed by your pads and under garments?

Have you shaved the excess padding from your jock and cup?

Yes weight matters but at some point we reach both diminishing returns and absurdity.

It is an observation that I have experienced so far with the skates. Fact is that the Bauer liners do not absorb sweat anywhere near what the MLX skates do. I was not making a 'need lighter' than anything else statement, but yes, a skate that stays lighter throughout the game adds performance over one that does not.

There are many things I like about the skate, but like most people would like them to improve upon what I find as issues.

It is an observation that I have experienced so far with the skates. Fact is that the Bauer liners do not absorb sweat anywhere near what the MLX skates do. I was not making a 'need lighter' than anything else statement, but yes, a skate that stays lighter throughout the game adds performance over one that does not.

There are many things I like about the skate, but like most people would like them to improve upon what I find as issues.

I agree the skates need a few fixes. That wasn't my comment.

I'm just expressing amazement that people are claiming performance loss from such things as the weight differential of stick tape, jersey fit and the weight of sweat absorbed by a skate liner. As a biomedical engineer I get the effect of added weight to the foot. I also don't believe anyone here can notice the weight differential of sweat retention by a skate liner. I suspect it wold be very difficult to measure a performance loss in normal use. At 600 grams we're talking < 1% added weight. Additionally this weight isn't truly added, it's transfered from the tissue inside the skate to the skate it self.

The sweat which was fluid in the tissue in your foot is excreted as sweat and transfered to the skate or sock. You don't get a net gain of weight. Though there is a slight over all gain due to intake of water.

To even measure the difference we would have to weigh you pre and post game, measure your skates pre and post game, measure the rest of your equipment and clothing pre and post game and make some fairly complex calculations just to measure a difference. I suspect the difference would be somewhere around 1 or 2 grams if that. When comparing a 600 gram skate I doubt you or I would notice the difference in a blind study.

I was part of the group that purchased back in October but they didn't have my size holder so had to wait. However i was able to get LS2 put on which i was thinking about doing anyway so it really worked out. I sent them my foot tracing and they recommened the regular skate for me, but when i got it i noticed it was a bit too snug. It was "liveable" but i had to keep the bottom eyelets a little loose which wasn't really ideal. I mentioned this to MLX and they said they would send me a wider boot with the LS2's also on and it came a few days later with and i sent the old ones back and all the shipping was taken care of by them. More than greatful with their customer service, some of the best ive ever experience.

Volume:

i was a bit worried about the volume issue like others were having but when i got them they basically were perfect for my foot (coming from 9k's). I was touching a very small amount on the 5th eyelet when i did the pencil test.

Boot:

definitely the most comfortable boot ive ever been in, being able to work out the hot spots really helps. i like the flexability of the tenon guard, allows for more freedom when getting a toe flick to finish off your stride. I put the 3mm filler in and don't notice it all, just have to make sure its in the right spot. The tongue is really great, i do wish they would come out with a longer one but there is no lace bite and its very comfortable because of its ability to mold to the top of your foot. My heel is locked in really good and haven't experienced any slippage. Right now i have superfeet in and they work out perfect, i molded it with them in so i can't comment on MLX's insoles but im considering trying it for a game to see if i possibily like them better.

The width is where i had some problems until they sent me the wider version, now everything fits way way better. I was coming from 9k's in an E which i also had to get stretched because i felt like i should be in an EE. The regular with was giving me problems closer to the top of my foot near the toe box especially.

The weight isn't an issue for me, im in an size 11 so i wouldn't expect to notice the weight from boot to boot. They don't feel heavy by anymeans.

Performace:

These skates have definitely helped my skating style, i love the forward flex more than anything. Being able to really dig in with my knee but also finish off my stride with a toe flick, so i feel like im not fighting the boot. As far as later stability they feel like every other top boot ive been in so i can't say i feel like i got an advantage there but because the moldability i feel more stability in the ankles. To get that kind of security in my old skates it would affect my forward flex and could even cause a bit of lace bit. I don't flop or anything but i tie my skates i would say just normal, not to tight or loose with no tape. The boots feel alot better when i put my shin pad over the tongue, everything felt more as a unit.

All i can think of off the top of my head but after a few more skates ill add more. Very pleased though all around.

I skated on my mlx 3 times so far (2 public skates and 1 open hockey). They feel great no pain at all. They also have a nice snug fit. This allows you to tighten the laces loose to get your desired knee bend. I have noticed a couple issues that don't seem to effect the performance (but if I paid $800 I would not be too happy). These are 1) insole are 1/4" (may bother some people not me) 2) lining near the heal pocket doesn't cover it entirely to the sole 3) some of the tendon guard holes were damaged by the screws. Overall, these are an amazing skate that give you full control of your edges.

That's one part of the boot that I was surprised to see. It almost looks like they cut a thin strip of black electric tape, melted it onto the boot, and hoped it held. It obviously isn't electric tape, but it looks like it. Always wondered if that stuff was strong enough to hold. Either way, it looks kinda cheap.

I wonder if this will be an isolated problem or something we see happen regularly with the MLX skates.

Have you tried fixing it with epoxy?

It is definitely strong as you can see (at least in person) where the leather has pulled apart with part of it still under the black adhesive that they lay down on the borders. If anything, maybe they need to apply the border a little wider.

Rob did email me back and apologized for taking a few days. As I expected, he offered to do whatever it took to make me happy. He offered to have me send them back to have the company look at them and fix them.

It is a nice gesture and I may take him up on the offer. I am not playing much the next few weeks and I am still nursing a bad shoulder. Would be a good excuse to actually get some time off the ice to heal.

Nope. Coming up on 40 skates with them and zero issues as far as durability on the boot is concerned.

An update on my experience.

Ordered the size 7. They got here and felt right after baking. I put them on again after that for about 20 minutes and my pinky toe and the side of my foot under it were killing. They just weren't wide enough. Plus it was tough lacing them up with the lack of depth. I wouldn't say I was busting out of them but it was definitely an issue. So I sent them back and asked if I could get a wider, deeper pair.

Rob accommodated my requests perfectly. I sent them tracings and photos of my feet along with measurements and they fashioned a wider shell for me with a bit more material in the side panels to allow for more depth. Judging by what he said, they should fit me perfectly. Waiting on their arrival now.

^^^WOW finally I see a pair with them...can't get black Tuuks here...nice!

btw, QUESTIONS:

Did you get them with Tuuks or with the original holders...did you have to drill new holes or would you have to?

Did you try the inserts...there is one poster, who liked them, but he was in a size 10+ or something skate...aren't they to long then for say a size 7?

Don't they feel just 'stuffed in'?

Do they interfere with the insoles?

Do you put the soles out after skating, would these screws/plates rust?

^^^WOW finally I see a pair with them...can't get black Tuuks here...nice!

btw, QUESTIONS:

Did you get them with Tuuks or with the original holders...did you have to drill new holes or would you have to?

Did you try the inserts...there is one poster, who liked them, but he was in a size 10+ or something skate...aren't they to long then for say a size 7?

Don't they feel just 'stuffed in'?

Do they interfere with the insoles?

Do you put the soles out after skating, would these screws/plates rust?

I asked them to send them without the MLX holders, undrilled. I ordered up the black holders. They were mounted locally.

I didnt need the inserts as the length happened to fit perfectly, I am using superfeet yellow insoles.

Rivets rust in general after years of use, so I dont really think about it too much.

Hope I answered everything