Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pwrfwd26

Looking to get a dog.

Well I just bought my first home a couple months ago and would like to get a dog. Somthing medium in size that likes to play around with kids. Any members have any sugestions? I was thinking a Beagle or a Porter terrior (SP)?

I love Australian Shepherds, but that's not something you want to get as your first dog. I would suggest visiting your local humane society or pound and seeing if they have anything that would work for you and your family. Mixed breeds often have fewer health problems than purebred dogs and with the economy the way it is, most shelters can't keep up with the number of animals that come in. You may miss out on the puppy months, but that is a positive as much as a negative. I've always said that every kid should have a dog, if space allows, lots of little lessons and responsibility they can learn along the way.

Totally agree with Chadd on this - get a lovable mutt from the pound. If possible, go with a friend who knows dogs well, and can spot major medical issues like hip dysplasia, or obvious behavioural problems; as Chadd suggested, these tend to be far less common in mixed breeds. Very often humane societies will have 'drives' in which they waive the adoption fee for a short period. If at all possible, get two: dogs (and cats and just about all other mammals) are unbelievably social. The vast majority of problems people report with their first pet come from it being the only pet. A lonely dog can eat most of a house - doorjams, drywall, paintings, you name it - if left alone for long periods; the worst two dogs that don't get along will do is mildly hurt one another until one achieves dominance.

Totally agree with Chadd on this - get a lovable mutt from the pound. If possible, go with a friend who knows dogs well, and can spot major medical issues like hip dysplasia, or obvious behavioural problems; as Chadd suggested, these tend to be far less common in mixed breeds. Very often humane societies will have 'drives' in which they waive the adoption fee for a short period. If at all possible, get two: dogs (and cats and just about all other mammals) are unbelievably social. The vast majority of problems people report with their first pet come from it being the only pet. A lonely dog can eat most of a house - doorjams, drywall, paintings, you name it - if left alone for long periods; the worst two dogs that don't get along will do is mildly hurt one another until one achieves dominance.

agreed, but if your stuck on a purebred as many ppl are nowadays, make sure you do your research, i've seen one tiny detail just make a family can't stand the dog and drag it off to the shelter

or not believing what the read. IF you go pure KNOW what your buying, some positives for one person are not something desirable for another person. Also dont get caught up in the muts are the best of all the positives of the breed. Sometimes not knowing what makes up the dog leads to some surprising behaviors that are all but impossible to correct. In theory saving a mutt is all well and good, but I suspect when the ANIMAL comes out you best know what your dealing with..

Oh BTW my treehugger ex who gave me nothing but crap about my $1150 Aussie returned 2 shelter beautiful butterflies cause the one tore up her house and the other cornered her for a couple of hours to ahole came home from work.

Here are a couple of positives about the Aussie that if flipped would cause you nothing but grief if your not experienced and read up on the breed.

aussies may nip as a herding instinct...."this dog nipped my kid im taking it back" dog was given to Aussie rescue

are reserved around people who are not in their pack.....this dog is just not friendly returned to shelter cause dude wanted a chic magnet, he needed a lab

are very intelligent and need a job to do and if left to their own devices will assign THEMSELVES said job.....All she does is empty out the garbage on the floor...again in shelter

are one owner specific aka velcro dogs....I actually met a rescue Aussie and its new owner at a dog park recently...the reason the original owner took the dog into the shelter and I quote, "when she went to the bathroom the dog would follow her in, and she wanted her privacy."

A dog is a lifelong commitment as long as the pet is alive:its time consuming, expensive, and is alteration to your lifestyle so think long and hard before you contact a breeder, visit a rescue, or go to a pound

and one more thing they can be the best decision you will ever make

I got a beagle about five years ago because I was looking for a smaller to medium sized dog that was very friendly. My mom loved her so much she got her own beagle too, and now they both live with my parents as I moved out.

I absolutely love beagles...they are so much fun. They're really happy dogs, really playful as puppies, and can be low to moderate energy as they get older. I've heard they bay/bark a lot when they're home alone but I never had any problems at all with either dog. I have a toddler and one of the dogs loves playing with him and the other was a bit jealous but is kind of indifferent now. Just about every beagle is fantastic with kids and they have a nice long life if kept healthy.

There are some downsides though...they don't train and act like an average dog. We used to have dobermans, rotties, and friends have had labs, spaniels, and terriers, and the beagle is in its own world. One of them is fairly obedient, the other is oblivious to the world. And it's not for lack of training or discipline, she literally is so engulfed in smelling things she blocks you out. They also require regular ear cleanings (squirt some cleaner in each ear and rub it around) to prevent infection. They require strict diets as they get older because they will eat everything and get fat easily, which leads to disease. And they can't just be let loose, they need a yard with high fences and must be walked on a leash, or they will run away. And I recommend getting a good steam cleaner for the carpets.

Unless you can come home over lunch to let the dog out and spend several hours daily for the first six months, it's better to get an adult. Adults are almost always trained, spayed/neutered, house broken, and their energy level is lower. My beagle puppy was NUTS for the first two years, but now she sleeps 23 hours a day.

My girlfriend just got a cat from an adoption place, and I'm not sure I would adopt again. The cat is okay but has this bowel problem that it shits everywhere when it gets excited and throws up constantly. The vet says she's fine, but the cat literally will just lay in your lap, purr, and take a shit on you. It's to the point I hate the damn thing, but I'm stuck with it because the girlfriend loves it. Just do a lot of homework and make sure you can spend time with the animal if you do adopt, and better yet, see if they will give you a 30-day in-home stay to make sure the pet becomes family.

Anyways, once we buy a house, I'll be getting a dog again...would love another beagle, but maybe a spaniel mix would be nice.

After having labs forever I went with a Basset hound this last time around and that will be the only breed I will buy again. She is awesome with kids, has a great personality, and sounds pretty intimidating. They dont offer much of protection but she does like to chill on the couch with me and watch baseball, hockey and golf. They do get pretty big though so it might be out of your range.

Golden retrievers are awesome dogs. They're great with kids, just overall great dogs. They have a great energy level but can still mellow out.

You have to be careful with goldens and cocker spaniels, there are a lot of poorly bred ones out there with a lot of health problems.

or not believing what the read. IF you go pure KNOW what your buying, some positives for one person are not something desirable for another person. Also dont get caught up in the muts are the best of all the positives of the breed. Sometimes not knowing what makes up the dog leads to some surprising behaviors that are all but impossible to correct. In theory saving a mutt is all well and good, but I suspect when the ANIMAL comes out you best know what your dealing with..

Oh BTW my treehugger ex who gave me nothing but crap about my $1150 Aussie returned 2 shelter beautiful butterflies cause the one tore up her house and the other cornered her for a couple of hours to ahole came home from work.

Here are a couple of positives about the Aussie that if flipped would cause you nothing but grief if your not experienced and read up on the breed.

aussies may nip as a herding instinct...."this dog nipped my kid im taking it back" dog was given to Aussie rescue

are reserved around people who are not in their pack.....this dog is just not friendly returned to shelter cause dude wanted a chic magnet, he needed a lab

are very intelligent and need a job to do and if left to their own devices will assign THEMSELVES said job.....All she does is empty out the garbage on the floor...again in shelter

are one owner specific aka velcro dogs....I actually met a rescue Aussie and its new owner at a dog park recently...the reason the original owner took the dog into the shelter and I quote, "when she went to the bathroom the dog would follow her in, and she wanted her privacy."

A dog is a lifelong commitment as long as the pet is alive:its time consuming, expensive, and is alteration to your lifestyle so think long and hard before you contact a breeder, visit a rescue, or go to a pound

and one more thing they can be the best decision you will ever make

Our Aussie was fantastic, but ended up having some health problems. My wife complained about a lot of the things you mention, but also loved her for many of those reasons, and more. I just think that they aren't the best choice for most first time dog owners.

Another vote for a beagle, fun dog and they really like to please. They get into a bit of trouble following that nose of theirs but they listen well. One of the most loving and playful dogs I've ever owned and I've had quite a bit of dogs and have had at least one around all my life.

I grew up with rough collies. Excellent family dog and put up with a lot. Unlinke border collies, their activity levels matches that of the family. You quite often see collies plodding along next to old people

Shelties are cute little dogs too.

Aussie Terriers... smart dogs, dont grow very big at about 5-7kg depending on the cross breed.

We've got a Aussie Terrier mixed with a shitzu/maltese. Smart little dog, loves to be cuddled... and cant rough house with my 6year old everyday.

Not sure what medium is to you but im going to go with boxer as my number one and German shepherd number two. boxers have a ton of personality and are great with kids and German shepherds are great dogs as well and would be very protective or your family and also great with kids. ( currently have 4 English bulldogs, a bit boring for kids maybe?, and a German shepherd.) have had a boxer and another German shepherd along with two weenie dogs that i would never recommend for kids

My sis has four dogs: Roxy (black lab/dalmatian mix), Yoda (sheltie/Rott mix), Pepper (whippet/black lab mix), and Sam (beagle/basset hound mix).

Roxy is too smart for her own good. Learned how to open the fridge and some doors at a very young age, she's 9 now. Was great around kids and everyone. Now she's persnickety in her old age, but still loves a game of tug o war. Very good watchdog. Sleeps at the bay window my sister has and always has one ear perked at night.

Yoda loves people to death and other dogs. Great with kids, my sis would take YOda to visit kids (every once inawhile) when she did her rounds at a childrens hospital . She also took him to nursing homes as well and the people loved him. he's small considering he's half rottweiler.

Pepper is a great dog. Hyper but loves to play and doesn't mind a little roughhousing. Is more whippet than lab.

Sam is a stubborn mofo, but likes to cuddle and watch tv. Always baying/barking at stuff outside. Once he gets a scent, you're not going to get him to come back inside.

I'll throw another post up for a shelter mutt.

Regardless of what or where you get a dog, take your time making the decision.

If you go for a shelter dog, look at as many shelters as you can and take advantage of the chance to get the dog out of the cage for a walk or in the private area to get an idea of the personality. We took a couple of months visiting shelters looking for a small to medium sized dog. A couple became un-hinged (hyper) getting out of the cage, one smaller dog was very aggressive to other dogs walking by, etc. Shelter dogs can SOMETIMES take a couple days to months to really come out of their shells depending on their past lives.

ALSO: Be prepared for the unexpected. We got Chopper very cheap from the Chicago pound, he had to be fixed and get a little umbilical hernia taken care of by the shelter. But when we got him home he was very lethargic and then suddenly got a lot of mucus in his nose. We took him to the vet and it turned out he had a mild pneumonia and was very dehydrated (he was picked up as a stray). So his first week ended up being pretty expensive!

But I don't regret a cent I spent on the mutt. He's stubborn as hell, but man do I love my dog!

3970393254_9d0a74e458_m.jpg

img3244m.jpg

my lil toy shih tzu here, i got from the shelter, she was there coz the breeder didn't think she'd make it, she was premature and her sister died at birth, but we got her (she had a couple health problems coz of her tiny size and premature birth) and now she's 7 years old, she at her heaviest weight in years at 6lbs :tongue: you also gotta remember that shelter dogs are super grateful that they get a new home, although you might have to retrain them

I've had Aussies all my life; best dog ev-ah! BUT, do NOT get one if you intend to have kids. Although there might be exceptions due to individual personalities, they are generally horrible with kids. They know kids can get a dog in trouble and their anxiety goes off the charts and they will nip if danger gets too close.

Beagles are cool, Labs are wonderful but take too long to grow up, a poodle mix gives you a very smart dog plus no shedding!

Sam is a stubborn mofo, but likes to cuddle and watch tv. Always baying/barking at stuff outside. Once he gets a scent, you're not going to get him to come back inside.

That sounds like the basset side of him. If someone knocks on the door on the tv mine will howl for a good 20 minutes. I cant take mine off the leash because if she catches a scent she is gone.

Beagles, either you have a great experience or you hate it. I hated it!!

We had a bull of a beagle(most muscular beagle I have ever met).

We only had Shitszus growing up, not much training needed, so my experience was limited.

This dog(beast) was all over the place, knocking my 3yr old over, trying to attack the kitchen, howling.

I had 2 well respected trainers come in to work with him and both trainers were stunned bye his disobedience, neither trainer could get him to calm down and listen after numerous sessions.

I am sure my inability to train him early was a huge factor, but he was just a beast and we gave up and found him a nice family with teenagers.

I have met other owners who were felt the same way and others who just love their beagle.

When the kids get a little older, we are going to go with a Retriever.

"I've had Aussies all my life; best dog ev-ah! BUT, do NOT get one if you intend to have kids. Although there might be exceptions due to individual personalities, they are generally horrible with kids."

No offense but the Aussies you might have grown up with were poorly socialized or allowed to nip. Stella-Jane is the life of the kids party when we get together. I have never seen nor heard her nip once from the baby smacking her in the head to the 3 year old trying to ride her like a horse. Her whole demeanor changes when around kids, stuff she would never allow an adult to do, she just sits and takes it from the kids. It might be because she is female but she wont even bark at kids during our walk, if your a tall man forget about it...the shepherd and the need to protect her pack(i.e.ME and my wife)you would think she worked for the gestapo with her warning barks

I would look at a Shelty, Chesapeake Bay retriever, and Bichon. I would stay away from the Jacks, Boarder, Dalmatian, and Weimaraner IMHO as each of the latter requires some special care or handling