Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

The 2010-2011 Suspension Thread

I just hope Seabrook isn't lost for long. He didn't look right on the bench and you could see his play was off when he went back on the ice. Torres, on the other hand, can rot in hell.

I just hope Seabrook isn't lost for long. He didn't look right on the bench and you could see his play was off when he went back on the ice. Torres, on the other hand, can rot in hell.

The guys on Versus made sure to point out that he never went up the tunnel for the 15 minute eval. He missed a shift, came back and suffered the second hit - also by Torres. Not sure how the League is going to handle that, being the nature of the hit, and Seabrook going down afterwords.

The guys on Versus made sure to point out that he never went up the tunnel for the 15 minute eval. He missed a shift, came back and suffered the second hit - also by Torres. Not sure how the League is going to handle that, being the nature of the hit, and Seabrook going down afterwords.

He left early for the second intermission. Not sure who was responsible for that.

I read the "rule" wrong. It's at the team's discretion whether a player goes to the quiet room or not. The ref can give his input on it, but it's not mandatory, which I thought it was.

It's pretty sad when a guy that has been around hockey as long as Bob doesn't have a good idea what it going to happen on a potential suspension. It just goes to show how muddled Campbell has made this whole process. I tend to agree that it will either be pretty stiff or he walks and I'll go with with walking on this one too.

Worth noting is how the on-ice officials seem afraid of making the 5 minute call on these hits in the playoffs. Granted they missed quite a few in the regular season but I think the Stoll and Torres hits should have been about as easy as they come.

Worth noting is how the on-ice officials seem afraid of making the 5 minute call on these hits in the playoffs. Granted they missed quite a few in the regular season but I think the Stoll and Torres hits should have been about as easy as they come.

From the emails that got out, Campbell berates them for making those kids of calls when he decides they were wrong. He prefers they err on the side of not penalizing guys, much like his history with suspensions.

You wonder if some GM's are going to start complaining when a player makes a suspendable hit in the playoffs but stays in the game only to be suspended later. I'm sure a GM will have something to say when it occurs in a series deciding game.

This sets a dangerous precedent for the rest of the playoffs. Defensemen are apparently fair game regardless of where you're coming from. Do the Bruins take the 2 minute interference call for the chance to knock Subban or Gill out of the series? Do the Habs do the same to Kaberle? Etc, etc.....

Apparently (according to teh earlier link to B. Mac) the League has set a different standard for open ice and along the board than they have for behind the net.

Someone's gonna get hurt (bad) real soon.

You wonder if some GM's are going to start complaining when a player makes a suspendable hit in the playoffs but stays in the game only to be suspended later. I'm sure a GM will have something to say when it occurs in a series deciding game.

The ones with the guy that got suspended will complain that he shouldn't have been suspended and the ones with guys that got hit will complain that he wasn't tossed from the game. Every incident makes it more and more clear that Campbell is not on board with the new rules and is far more lenient to third and fourth line grinders than he is to "name" players.

Apparently (according to teh earlier link to B. Mac) the League has set a different standard for open ice and along the board than they have for behind the net.

Someone's gonna get hurt (bad) real soon.

As opposed to the guys like David or Savard that have already been hurt badly this season?

As opposed to the guys like David or Savard that have already been hurt badly this season?

Sorry...I didn't, in any way, mean to minimize any injuries that have already happened...but there will be another broken neck/back if thess hits keep up.

Sorry...I didn't, in any way, mean to minimize any injuries that have already happened...but there will be another broken neck/back if thess hits keep up.

Someone will die on the ice in the next few years if there isn't a major improvement.

why do they want behind the net to remain a hitting area? i think that's where some of the most dangerous hits happen because the nets/goalie blocks your view from seeing it coming.

if toronto had made the playoffs colby armstrong would be gearing up for some huge hits right about now.

When seeing the hit in realtime and even slow motion there was the sense that he would get a 5 and be suspended but I had a feeling he wasn't. I say this because he never launched into Seabs head and that it appeared he just was standing up when he went to throw the hit. Whomever was the CSN guy for the game kept saying, "oh that was a vicious elbow to his head". He never lifted his arm and it was all shoulder. Yes it hit him high but I don't think it was intentional. Also note Seabrook was looking back meanwhile moving forward. I would think someone who plays at the level he does he would know he is going to get pressure coming from in front of him. I think you can tell by Torres' surprise of the penalty that he didn't aim for his head but caught him not paying attention.

Someone will die on the ice in the next few years if there isn't a major improvement.

You are 100% correct. And while there at it,get rid of the instigator rule and send John Scott out there to beat Torres into a coma. lol

I guess he didn't learn his lesson. Exact same hit as the one on Eberle. Keith Jones said during the intermission "he should get at least double what he had before. He's a useless piece - (took a pause so he didn't say what he really wanted to say) - the Canucks don't need him."

Seabrook has left the game after the second hit. Worth noting, that Seabrook never went up the tunnel after the first hit.

I can't believe Canucks HD would post that right after to promote the team. That really pissed me off when I saw it on my subscription page.

The no suspension issue, you can take both sides of the fence on that one. Any of us that played competitive hockey have been hit in the head or blind sided. We all understand what's going on. If the NHL wants to cut down on head injuries from blind side hits, then that has to be suspended. However NHL has a very poor record of getting consistency in calling these things. There are tons of hits to the head, and/or blind sided hits that weren't even fined this year. Thus, purely on a consistency standpoint, no suspension for Torres is the right call. However if they want to solve this headshot issue, they must add consistency in punishment in the way they treat the issue (including fights). I'm coming from a both Canucks fan and hockey player's perspective.

Personally I align myself with Hex and Tiger Williams on this issue; But I still think the league needs to get it right.

I hear everyone saying blind side this blind side that, but isn't blind side hits come from a lateral position when they aren't in sight of the victim? If Seabrook had his head up it would have been a head on straight forward collision.

Also, that "someone will die in the next few years" comment kind of disturbed me.

If a guy gets concussed and doesn't leave the game, similar to what Seabrook did last night, and he takes another powerful hit to the head, that could very well be lights out for someone. I won't even bother with the potential for a shattered neck from a hard enough hit to the head only or from a check from behind which still seem to be all the rage.

I hear everyone saying blind side this blind side that, but isn't blind side hits come from a lateral position when they aren't in sight of the victim? If Seabrook had his head up it would have been a head on straight forward collision.

Also, that "someone will die in the next few years" comment kind of disturbed me.

If you can't see the guy coming, it's a blind side hit. Now if you're going to expect people to constantly watch out for getting hit and ignoring the puck, the game is really going to start to suck. There is no way he could have seen the puck and the truck that ran him over, none.

Who knows if they'll suspend him for a playoff game for it but I was pretty surprised all they were giving him was the minor.

If you can't see the guy coming, it's a blind side hit. Now if you're going to expect people to constantly watch out for getting hit and ignoring the puck, the game is really going to start to suck. There is no way he could have seen the puck and the truck that ran him over, none.

False, blindside would be coming laterally and he hit him from the front. Seabrook should have been looking where he was skating. I mean c'mon I play defense and when I come around the net I'm not looking at the ice or behind me, he should know guys are coming around to take his head off.

Downie's hit was alot like Torres' except he jumped into that. Kunitz's elbow on Gagne was really dumb I expect something coming there.