Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

The 2010-2011 Suspension Thread

Are the Montreal fans and politicians also calling for a criminal investigation in addition to the suspension? Looked like an assault to me.

Following is a statement from Pittsburgh Penguins General Manager Ray Shero after the National Hockey League ruled today that Penguins forward Matt Cooke will be suspended for the rest of the regular season (10 games) and the first round of the playoffs:

“The suspension is warranted because that’s exactly the kind of hit we’re trying to get out of the game. Head shots have no place in hockey. We’ve told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message.”

Shero says the suspension is warranted and that the headshots must be dealt with severely and the Penguins SUPPORT the NHL in their decision on this suspension.

They Just read the statement on NHL Power Play on NHLN.

At any rate... I expected 7-10 (end of reg season) I didn't expect the first round of the playoffs. I'm gonna be honest, and take alot of hate I'm sure, but I think the first round is a little much. I know, I know, but Gilles threw just as dirty an elbow on Clutterbuck in his first game back from a 9 gamer for another elbow, and only got 10 games. Repeat offender, admittedly not as repeat as Cooke, but Gilles has the history in the AHL/ECHL of being goon too so its not like its a surprise that it continues in the NHL with him either. Cooke a minimum of 14 games, potentially 17, with some of them being playoff games is a monster suspension and will hurt the Penguins dearly, make no mistake.

I just hope that the NHL continues to follow the example they just set on Cooke and levy bigger suspensions to everyone for bad hits going forward, especially the repeat offenders. For example, Gilles next suspension (IF/WHEN) for a bad hit better be 15+ reg season games. Consistency going forward is the key. In a way I am happy that they brought the book down cause the last thing I wanna see is Crosby knocked out with a headshot or something (sucks payin 100 bucks for a nosebleed ticket and not get to see the best player in the world at Consol three times a year already) because someones looking for revenge for something.

At any rate, obviously I'm a Pens fan and I like to recognize Cooke for the good he brings to the table with the Pens amongst all the hatred in the hockey community, but he threw a dirty elbow and got hit hard. I hope he learns his lesson and I hope the Pens don't trade him and I'd like to see him back next year and have a strong season.

Shero says the suspension is warranted and that the headshots must be dealt with severely and the Penguins SUPPORT the NHL in their decision on this suspension.

They Just read the statement on NHL Power Play on NHLN.

At any rate... I expected 7-10 (end of reg season) I didn't expect the first round of the playoffs. I'm gonna be honest, and take alot of hate I'm sure, but I think the first round is a little much. I know, I know, but Gilles threw just as dirty an elbow on Clutterbuck in his first game back from a 9 gamer for another elbow, and only got 10 games. Repeat offender, admittedly not as repeat as Cooke, but Gilles has the history in the AHL/ECHL of being goon too so its not like its a surprise that it continues in the NHL with him either. Cooke a minimum of 14 games, potentially 17, with some of them being playoff games is a monster suspension and will hurt the Penguins dearly, make no mistake.

I just hope that the NHL continues to follow the example they just set on Cooke and levy bigger suspensions to everyone for bad hits going forward, especially the repeat offenders. For example, Gilles next suspension (IF/WHEN) for a bad hit better be 15+ reg season games. Consistency going forward is the key. In a way I am happy that they brought the book down cause the last thing I wanna see is Crosby knocked out with a headshot or something (sucks payin 100 bucks for a nosebleed ticket and not get to see the best player in the world at Consol three times a year already) because someones looking for revenge for something.

At any rate, obviously I'm a Pens fan and I like to recognize Cooke for the good he brings to the table with the Pens amongst all the hatred in the hockey community, but he threw a dirty elbow and got hit hard. I hope he learns his lesson and I hope the Pens don't trade him and I'd like to see him back next year and have a strong season.

Guy can actually play when he's not doing bone head things... Now that he's definitely gonna have to rein himself in do you think he can still be an effective player?

First, Mario called for stiffer penalties so the NHL obliged. Second, Cooke will never learn. He has now been suspended 5 times. If the first 4 didn't change his behavior then it is doubtful that the 5th will do the trick.

You cannot compare the Gillies hit. It was before the GMs meeting last week. If Matt Cooke can't be bothered to read the papers and find out what has the NHL administration's front burner attention, then too bad for him. Adding the 1st round of the playoffs to the suspension was a step in the right direction.

I have no problem with the suspension. The NHL needed to send a message, and I feel that's what they accomplished. Now if they can maintain similar standards going forward, they might have something here.

Since the NHL has made thier call why doesn't Mario and the Pens step up an add a team penalty and fine to it. He is so appalled by head shots and the like why not show how much you mean it.

You cannot compare the Gillies hit. It was before the GMs meeting last week. If Matt Cooke can't be bothered to read the papers and find out what has the NHL administration's front burner attention, then too bad for him. Adding the 1st round of the playoffs to the suspension was a step in the right direction.

While you are correct that it was a hot button topic last week, the league decided NOT to alter the rules, punishments, etc. for this season, atleast that is how I understood it? Plus headshots etc. have been the frontrunning issue since last March if not before and the suspensions havn't been anything extreme as evidenced by the few headshot suspensions in just the last couple weeks with Marchand and Heatley et. al

I'm perfectly fine with the suspension, AS LONG AS, the next time something happens especially with a repeat offender, do they continue to punish severely like this, or do they blow the dust off of that flow chart?

I couldnt disagree more with fireonice and as a Pens fan myself , i would have liked to see him get more. The rest of the season , regular and playoffs would have been great.

I cant look at the good things Cooke brings because the bad things he does are so illuminating. Hes an embarrasment to the league , the team , and the city. I hope Shero finds a way to get rid of the garbage , at seasons end.

Guy can actually play when he's not doing bone head things... Now that he's definitely gonna have to rein himself in do you think he can still be an effective player?

No...Maybe. Yes..Not sure. I think part of what makes him effective is the fear factor that some players have that may cause them to do things with the puck they dont want to do thus creating turnovers, pressure etc. However, as a PK'er I think he can still do that job just fine, and he does that very well. Cycle the puck in the corners and eat up clock in the offensive zone? Sure. Decent hands to score some goals now and then, obviously. Get in on an effective forecheck with the fear in his own mind taking a penalty or a bad hit, even if a guy puts his back to him like we see time and again.. maybe not.

Well, that is an awesome trait to have as a NHLer, be known to be such a reckless moron that players have to assume that you will give them some kind of career threatening hit. Cooke's play will not change one bit and it will be because of one of these two reasons: 1. he is a complete moron and doesn't understand how to play with respect for his fellow players, or, 2. he understands fully what he is doing and is just a complete asshole that decides to do it anyway. Either way, I don't want to see him on the ice.

Well, that is an awesome trait to have as a NHLer, be known to be such a reckless moron that players have to assume that you will give them some kind of career threatening hit. Cooke's play will not change one bit and it will be because of one of these two reasons: 1. he is a complete moron and doesn't understand how to play with respect for his fellow players, or, 2. he understands fully what he is doing and is just a complete asshole that decides to do it anyway. Either way, I don't want to see him on the ice.

I'm not talking about dirty hits I'm talking about the fact that he's one of the players that never skates by you and always finishes his check..a trait that is applauded when talking about many players in any league.

And you are correct, it will be tough for a guy that made it to the NHL and played over 10 years in the NHL by playing a certain way change what got him to where he is. I hope he can do it.

You think when a defensemen sees Cooke coming they think "Oh man, this guy finishes his check, I better get rid of the puck" Hell no. They think "I need to protect my head."

Shero

“The suspension is warranted because that’s exactly the kind of hit we’re trying to get out of the game. Head shots have no place in hockey. We’ve told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message.”

What else could he have said after all the Pens have said in the past month, but its the right message, should have added, "We have told Matt that he won't be welcome of the remainder of the year" and "Sid's ready!"

I remember when he was a Canuck he was one of our best shut down players, and a huuuge fan favourite. I remember when he got traded, Burrows said he had the Canuck logo tattoo'd on his heart, who would say something like that about him now? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't ever remember him being a dirty player in his Canuck era. Also, today Kesler said "he's a different guy off the ice than on the ice" which I'm guessing means he still has respect for him or they could still be friends.

I hope this (10 Games) is the new standard for deliberately going out of the way, and beyond a "hockey play" to hit an opponent in the head. I still think the plays that happen open ice (like the San Jose/Dallas one last week) are so hard to interpret intent and body position, and need to be judged differently than these. But when you lift your elbow to the head of player against the boards the way Cooke did...I don't care who you are or how often you've been called to Colie's office. start at 10 and work up from there.

Well consider me pleasantly surprised by the NHL's decision to suspend him for the rest of the season and the first round of the playoffs. I would have liked to see them suspend him for the rest of the season and all of the playoffs but as someone said, they possibly won't even get passed the first round anyway if Sid and Gino are still not back.

i would say this is one of the few times this season that campbell or whoever it was got it right.

and for shero to come out and say he agrees with it hopefully will send the message to cooke

time will tell..

Well consider me pleasantly surprised by the NHL's decision to suspend him for the rest of the season and the first round of the playoffs. I would have liked to see them suspend him for the rest of the season and all of the playoffs but as someone said, they possibly won't even get passed the first round anyway if Sid and Gino are still not back.

Malkins not coming back and yes this could easily be a rest of the season suspension for Cooke.

It's a good start for the league, but I still have no confidence this will lead to any kind of consistency in the future, they've dropped the ball too many times.

I saw an interview with Bylsma before the game tonight, and he said that Cooke told him that it wasnt his intent to go for the head or something to that nature. Dan said, in so many words, that he saw the video and basically called BS on him.