Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asdfa

to Protectoe or not?

the toecap on my 8090's is getting sliced up all over the place, so i'm faced with the dilema of either, spending about $25 for my proshop to put on stuff that protects it, getting some "protectoe" myself and puting it on or just leaving it. what should i do?

why can't hockey companies just make skates with platic toecaps, they might not look as good but they're way more durable

I actually prefer the traditional looking toe. It's not difficult to Pro-toe your skate, and I highly recommend it. If you feel handy, do it yourself. If you don't want to take the time, have someone else do it. I always feel some sort of Zen thing when I work on my own gear.

Guys...this isnt about which skates have plastic toe caps. Anyways I would just go for the protectoe, my friend used one coating and its lasting forever...so its not like you have to keep buying cans and reapplying every week.

Just be careful when you put it on as I did it on a hot summer day, applying it way too thick and now it looks like hell.

i don't think plastic toes are that great anyways. my grafs have nice slices in the plastic and chips n chunks. i prefer the traditional toe with a light coat of toepro

Never used protoe until my newest skates because they recomend it when your a ref so your skates dont look like crap with torn up toe caps.

Just get some protectoe. Apply it in very thin coats allowing it to dry in between coats. Brush it on very thinly for each coat so that it won't chip off very easily. Three thin coats should do the trick. Just don't glob it on the toe cap otherwise it will look like garbage and be prone to chipping/peeling.

This might be a stupid question but can you use protectoe after your top cap has been cut?

yes you can.

crap guys, i just did some protoe on my skate, and the protoe was kinda cold it it was all thick and globular (is that a word? :blink: ). is there some way i can make it look better? i.e. would sanding it smooth and reapplying work or am i stuck with a chunky toe?

I think sanding it will be fine, but you have to let it cure completely; otherwise, it will ball up on you and you'll have an even bigger mess. Use a high grit "wet/dry" sandpaper and clean the tow well before applying a thin top coat. A complete cure might take many days depending on temp/humidity.

Did you use the Bauer protoe or an off-brand? I've never seen the stuff glob up after it has been shaken up.

Even after your skates are chewed up you can apply it. Put on a couple of thin coats and allow it to dry totally. Sand down the bits that are frayed and cut until all smooth. Wipe them down to remove any loose crap.

Put a couple more thin coats on after that, and the toes should look like new, or close to new, depending on your sanding job. ;)