Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xtra

Switching from pants to girdle

As the title says,

I am transitioning from Hockey pants to the two piece: girdle, shell, setup. I've used hockey pants all my life but I finally noticed how low-profile the girdle setup is.

My pants: Warrior hustler, Size Medium. The girdle that MAY be replacing these is the Warrior project girdle.

Basic sizing question: My waist line is a 34 in regular jeans/pants. Warrior, in my opinion, tends to run a little bigger around the hip area for me. If I'm a medium ( 32-34 ) in the hustlers, would I want to stick with the SAME size for the girdle setup since it's more of a low-profile setup that HUGS the body? or would I want to step down to a small to ensure that it hugs my body? I've previously tried on Small hustlers and they fit nice and snug. Didn't buy them though because it would have been an impulse buy at the time :dry:

My Local hockey shops do not CARRY this girdle so TRYING the girdle on first is out of the question.

Thanks in advance.

i'm not sure if its same like inline girdle but, both my ice pants and girdle are medium size. It fit nicely while girdle is more snug fitting.

Here are the sizing guidelines from icehockey warehouse for the projekt girdle:

Warrior sizing guidelines:(waist):

Size / Waist Measurement (circumference)

Small / 30"-32"

Medium / 32"34"

Large / 34-"36"

XL / 36"-38"

I have a pair ordered, but they haven't arrived yet. I had the same issue - I couldn't find them anywhere locally and was on the borderline of Large and XL with a 36" waist. I asked members for their advice a few months ago and was told to go with the XL as the Projekt girdle was a little snugger in the waist than other girdles. Plus, I'm 6'2" tall so I thought I'd err on the bigger side for length reasons as well.

I've read the the hustlers fit bigger than the average pant. So based on the hustlers being bigger than average and the projekts being tighter I'd stick with the mediums or even consider a large if you're taller. I think the size small would be too tight for someone with a 34" waist based on both the sizing guideline and what I've read.

I went from a girdle+shell to pants for a big reason.

The Girdle feels bulkier to me especially when you are sitting on the bench.

Which girdle did you have? Some are going to be bulkier and more protective than others. The X60 looks pretty beefy, but I haven't tried it so I'm only going by looks. I know the Mission Thorax I wear for roller isn't bulky at all. Of course ice girdles need more protection, but the Projekt seems to be one of the less bulky models.

Which girdle did you have? Some are going to be bulkier and more protective than others. The X60 looks pretty beefy, but I haven't tried it so I'm only going by looks. I know the Mission Thorax I wear for roller isn't bulky at all. Of course ice girdles need more protection, but the Projekt seems to be one of the less bulky models.

I use a Mission Thorax as well but the Reebok shell I use has extra padding which makes it uncomfortable I guess.

I'm still thinking of switching shells maybe but blocking shots is always very protective.

I'd say get a medium if that's what you wear in pants. I'm a 28-30, generally wear smalls in pants, but in the Warrior Hustler pant I was almost swimming in an x-small. I have the Projekt girdle in a small, it's not super snug but everything stays in place. There is no bulk in this Girdle. It's the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, except when I fall on my ass, then it hurts. The protection is no where near the Hustler pants, but I felt like those were heavy and bulky. For a girdle, protection is decent. Nothing like the level of protection in the X60 girdle. Although, where it lacks in protection, it makes up for in comfort and mobility.

I switched to a girdle once. Then after a pretty bad spill into the boards and the resulting serious back pain I switched back to pants.

The girdle will be snugger - you need to want that fit. They are typically lighter. Girdles have less protection in the lower back.

You might want to look at the Bauer X-60 Girdle. They are really the innards of a snug fit pant.

Hey beaver, when you fall does it hurt the tailbone or just the cheeks?

More butt-bone/ hip. Tailbone protection is pretty decent. There's a small gap between the tailbone and side hip pads, which is where I always seem to land.

Easton and Tackla girdles are much lighter and form fitting. I usually beef up the tailbone with a little more foam. I like how light a girdle is.

Yeah I am thinking of trying a girdle too. The thigh pad in my pants just broke so I am going to be replacing them anyway. I am concerned about injury from falling in the hip and rear areas because of my age and weight so I want protection but I don't need it to be bulletproof and would prefer the lightest girdle that could take the abuse of a 250 lb newbie falling to the hip or tailbone. So, does anyone have any input as to which would be the best for my needs?

i have the x60 girdle and i don't believe there to be a better girdle on the market. its essentially the x60 pant without the shell.

girdles typically give you a more snug fit, very low profile, and lightweight. mobility is almost always excellent. the trade off for most girdles is reduced protection.

the x60 on the other hand still has a great level of protection. it has full tailbone protection. i switched from the one95 girdle, which is the traditional girdle most companies make, and the difference is staggering.

I have only used Bauer and Nike/Bauer girdles in the past. I'm currently using the One95 one now. I like girdles better imo because I prefer a lighter more snug fit around my legs. With the Bauers and most other girdles you can adjust them to fit you perfectly. However, the protection is nowhere near that of a pant. Especially on the top of your hip bone going into the ledge on the boards. I've had some pretty nasty bruises from just clipping the boards going by someone, but I would take that for the fit/mobility any day.

I recently made the switch myself. I'm wearing these now:

Easton Synergy Sr. Hockey Girdle '10 Model

I like them & find them very well padded. I feel I have a better freedom than my pants. With the Easton girdle I bought there is only one thing I don't care for. They are a pull on type of girdle instead of a wrap on. It is a little tricky pulling them on over my shins.

I just switched to an x60 girdle this season and love it. It has great protection and are very light weight. I like how they fit and I feel more mobile in them. The only thing I adjusted on my girdle was loosening the legs up a little so it wouldn't keep sitting behind my shin guards.

I have a Vapor XXXX girdle that is very protective - I think it's probably very similar to the X60. I used to use the Supreme girdle, which was super mobile but less protective - especially in the tailbone compared to the Vapor.

Pants feel cooler to me, so that's why I've been going in that direction lately.

Warrior Projekt girdle is very light, very mobile, very comfortable, and protective enough to be used in the NHL. I absolutely love mine. The neoprene or whatever it's made out of is so soft and comfy and isn't hot like my old ccm girdle.

I made the switch today, I bought a one90 girdle out of necessity Saturday and got to use it today.

The transition was seamless. I enjoy how the padding moves with me, I never thought about wearing it when I was skating, very comfortable. Hope this helps.

I just picked up a CCM vector pro girdle in a medium... love the back protection as I spend a lot of time in front, only complaint I had to buy suspenders because I couldn't keep right where I wanted them.

I have a RBK 9K Ice Core, and really like it. Mobility is great and the thigh protector's are adjustable easily adjustable for people of different heights and the protection is as good as or better than any pants i've had. Only draw back is other shell's are hard to fit.