Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo5370

"Try Before You Buy" Rule

I know it is a rule of thumb that one should never buy a pair skates (or any other piece of equipment dependent on precise fit) withouth trying them on.

But what are we suppossed to if we want to buy skates like the new CCM's, i.e. that have no real shape before baking that would allow you to get an accurate gauge on how they will fit after baking?

I know some shops will bake them before you buy, but it also a rule that one should try on as many brands/models as one can before making a decisions. No dealer is going to want to go through all that trouble nor would I feel comfortable putting a dealer in that situation. In short how are we supposed to know?

They won't change shape completely. If there are slight pressure points, it's one thing. If there is pain, that's something else entirely. Never buy a skate that causes pain and hope baking will fix it.

but it also a rule that one should try on as many brands/models as one can before making a decisions. No dealer is going to want to go through all that trouble

100 % false, any good dealer will try model on you for comparison, to ensure you get the correct skate.

That being said, I am not a fan of baking skates to "make them fit you," there should be some element of comfort in simply trying them on. I tried on the new CCM's and did not care for the fit on my foot, and i knew no amount of baking would cure this problem, same with the Vapor line. FLip side, Total Ones fit well, and i could tell that i could heat them and get the correct fir out of them.

Go to your local shop, and as long as youre serious about buying, they should be more than happy to work with you and get the right boot.

You're buying 600$ skates, the dealer should and WILL make you try them all until you find the perfect pair cause it's their job after all.

The 2011 U+ line fits decently without molding. Enough so that you know whether or not they are a good boot for your feet. They are nothing like the terrible out of the box feel the previous U+ line had.

You're buying 600$ skates, the dealer should and WILL make you try them all until you find the perfect pair cause it's their job after all.

I don't' think I made my OP clear. I understand that is it ok to try on many pairs of skates. My point was that even if a dealer is willing to bake a skate for you to try before you buy, he or she is not likely to do that over and over again.

True, but then again if you try on lots of different skates, chances are you'll find a pair that doesn't even need to be baked.

The CCM U+cl was the skate I was most interested in buying. When I started trying on all the brands, it (the CCM) was the least comfortable out of the box. One of the LHS even said they would bake the skate. I have read CCM has really improved there out of box fitting but compared to Bauer, Graf and even the Reebok 11K they IMO, lag behind. I have no doubt the U+cl is a great skate when heat moulded. Its a tough thing to spend $600 plus not knowing if that skate is the best option. Could a demo program work where you could actually try a pair out before you buy? Maybe impractical, but I would like to demo top end skates before I bought them.

The CCM U+cl was the skate I was most interested in buying. When I started trying on all the brands, it (the CCM) was the least comfortable out of the box. One of the LHS even said they would bake the skate. I have read CCM has really improved there out of box fitting but compared to Bauer, Graf and even the Reebok 11K they IMO, lag behind. I have no doubt the U+cl is a great skate when heat moulded. Its a tough thing to spend $600 plus not knowing if that skate is the best option. Could a demo program work where you could actually try a pair out before you buy? Maybe impractical, but I would like to demo top end skates before I bought them.

Just because it doesn't fit your foot, doesn't mean it lags behind any other brand. There is no way shops could afford to let people demo skates unless the manufacturers give every shop a free size run and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

i think what we're trying to get as is that a skate should fit before baking. baking itself should be to relieve minor issues. if the heel is too wide the heel is too wide, no amount of baking will fix that.

as far as your approach to buying a skate, your sales guy should let you try on as many skates as you want given that you are a serious buyer. you're not gonna bake every skate cause most of those skates won't fit properly to begin with and baking them won't fix it. you may bake your short list of skates and decide based on that.

Just because it doesn't fit your foot, doesn't mean it lags behind any other brand. There is no way shops could afford to let people demo skates unless the manufacturers give every shop a free size run and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I never said it did not fit my foot. I said of the brands I tried,it was the least comfortable. I guess you missed the IMO part too.

If it's the least comfortable pair you tried on then why do you even want them? Don't get skates just cause they look good

If it's the least comfortable pair you tried on then why do you even want them? Don't get skates just cause they look good

I dont want them. I bought Bauer Vapor x60 LE's because the fit was perfect. If you read my original post, the CCM U+cl was the skate I was most interested in until I tried them on.

I agree they won't do this but ski and boot manufacturers, raquete manufacturers, and a few others demo their upper end gear. It would really be nice if we could skate on the top tier skates.

I agree they won't do this but ski and boot manufacturers, raquete manufacturers, and a few others demo their upper end gear. It would really be nice if we could skate on the top tier skates.

Sure, you can demo skis. But, you can't demo ski boots. And getting a good ski boot fit is more difficult than getting a good skate fit.

I never said it did not fit my foot. I said of the brands I tried,it was the least comfortable. I guess you missed the IMO part too.

No, I didn't miss that. What you wrote implies that CCM is lacking in something that the others have, not that they don't fit your foot. There's a big difference in the two.

Most of us skated on at least one of the major manufacturers newest boots last year at the summer skate in Toronto.

i don't want to start a new thread but i'm just curious why the manufactures don't make two different fits for skates? example Vapor skate with vapor fit and one with supreme fit. Since the vapor and supreme line uses different technology and materials in their skates* (annoyed surpreme user that wants to try vapors or the CLs :) )

It would confuse people, Like the fit system the original pro tacks had.

Youre carrying twice as much stock in the same skate, and how do you explain to someone who fits into a Vapor Vapor skate, that you currently only have his size in Vapor Supremes. If a dual line system would work at a retail level, it would be in practice.

Why does it need to be strictly about looks? (since you just said youre not content wearing the skate that fits your foot properly)

i don't want to start a new thread but i'm just curious why the manufactures don't make two different fits for skates? example Vapor skate with vapor fit and one with supreme fit. Since the vapor and supreme line uses different technology and materials in their skates* (annoyed surpreme user that wants to try vapors or the CLs :) )

I re-read this a few times and let me just make sure I understand right.. Do you want a Vapor for the looks or for the different technology? Your post is a little confusing that's all.

sorry got up 5:30am and i'm not coffee drinker lol. Basically i'm wearing one95s that fit as good as retail will but would love to try Vapors since it's a more foward flex design and slightly softer boot. Or conversely if someone was a vapor foot and wanted to have a supreme boot with the alive technology or tongue on the totalones (pre apx).

I re-read this a few times and let me just make sure I understand right.. Do you want a Vapor for the looks or for the different technology? Your post is a little confusing that's all.

Sounds like both.

I'd like to try the vapor line and see what the skates are like, but they don't fit me.

Sounds like both.

I'd like to try the vapor line and see what the skates are like, but they don't fit me.

Yea that makes more sense, when I first read the post it sounded like just looks.. which doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Vapor heel doesn't fit me as well as the Supreme heel does. I'd love to try the Vapor with the proper fit as well. That makes sense :smile:

The reason they don't is because the over-head would be ginormious for most LHS to carry vapor supremes, vapor vapors, supreme vapors, and supreme supremes. Beyond that fact it would get really confusing. To end this short and sweet - get custom skates if you want to try out vapors but fit supreme.

The reason any company would not do this is because their lines have a distinct fit, and they need a new product to come out every year.

2010 releases: Reebok, Easton EQ5-1s, Supremes. 2011 releases: CCM, Easton EQ50-10s, Vapors. 2012 releases: Reebok (probably, have no idea), Easton Stealth, Supremes.

The big boys in the skate market need a skate to come out every year, as not one of them is a dominant jugernaut like CCM was 30 years ago. Back then they could afford to have the two different fit system, because they didn't need a latest and greatest every year to compete with the other skate companies.

to get back on thread; what easton, reebok/ccm and bauer are doing with their 'demos' is quite helpful to help the local retailers, and something I more than welcome and wish to continue. It allows people who aren't in that top end gear to see what the fuss is about, and more often then not, finally convinces them the added benefits of a top end product (mainly: comfort). Demos are great, shame they are a pain in the ass to handle both financially and logistically.