Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Hand-Eye Coordination

I know for a fact that one can improve one's balance by training it. That is, you aren't stuck with a genetically determined ability. Does anyone know if the same applies to hand-eye coordination? If so, any good drills for improving it? Mine has sucked forever.

juggling a tennis ball on the blade of your stick always helped me out. batting cages are surprisingly helpful to in terms of helping you get better at deflections and one timers too. worked for me anyway.

I know for a fact that one can improve one's balance by training it. That is, you aren't stuck with a genetically determined ability. Does anyone know if the same applies to hand-eye coordination? If so, any good drills for improving it? Mine has sucked forever.

I'm interested about improving balance. What did you do?

I know in the tennis world, it's said that if you don't have your swing grooved by age 10-12, it's unlikely you will. Don't know if there is much truth to that or not.

You can train, just need the right method.

I know Paul Kariya used to juggle just to improve hand eye coordination... not circus fancy, just stick with 3 balls and you should be fine

definitely can be trained! just takes time & tractice like everything does.

juggling balls is good, so as bouncing the ball off the blade but both didn't provide me personally with a great carry over since they aren't directly applicable to the game

bouncing tennis ball off the wall with a stick (king of like tennis just with the stick) is very nice, so as bouncing the puck off the blade (unlike the ball due to puck's shape you'll get all sorts of funny bounces)

I'm interested about improving balance. What did you do?

I know in the tennis world, it's said that if you don't have your swing grooved by age 10-12, it's unlikely you will. Don't know if there is much truth to that or not.

I started by standing on the flat side of a bosu ball on one foot and tried to hold it for as long as possible. I did this in conjunction with one of those smaller balance padsbalancepad.png

I would do this at least four or five times a week.

Then I would progress to doing it with my eyes closed. Makes it much more difficult.

Added a wooden wobble board wobbleboard.jpg into the mix. Now I start every workout with this routine. When I started I could barely hold the pose with my eyes open for more than 20 seconds. Now I can do the Bosu thing with my eyes closed for minutes on end.

the best way i found to work on hand eye is through other sports, i played baseball in the off season growing up, and some soccer. being well rounded takes some work thats for sure, but if you can just try and make it fun

A simple idea that you've probably heard of before is to work on deflecting pucks in front of the net during stick n puck. I've also gotten a friend to practice throwing me air born passes from around 30 feet away and I'd try to knock them down. Don't stop until you can do 5 in a row and you'll feel way better about it.

the best way i found to work on hand eye is through other sports, i played baseball in the off season growing up, and some soccer. being well rounded takes some work thats for sure, but if you can just try and make it fun

This x100. Playing other sports develops a "vocabulary" of coordinated movement that as you grow older translates to other sports. This move towards year-round seasons for sports is not a good one.

When pilots were deployed to the Gulf War most pilots required little to no training in target sighting because of video games. FPS games today have made most fighter pilots pros in days not weeks

Take a puck and start flipping it up in the air and try to catch it on the blade

my hand eye used to be terrible starting out only playing roller hockey(games only) for many years. when i picked up ice i started going to stick and puck and still go about once a week and just stickhandling or random things like flipping the puck in the air has improved my hand eye tremendously. also just flipping the puck and catching it on the blade at home helps too.

When pilots were deployed to the Gulf War most pilots required little to no training in target sighting because of video games. FPS games today have made most fighter pilots pros in days not weeks

What's your source on this? Sounds like a popular myth.

Not sure why you would question handing over 500 million dollar planes to guys with a few days training but lots of xbox time!

As it happens, it seems that the game time is helpful, especially with the guys remotely flying the drones, but the remark I questioned went a lot further than that.

What's your source on this? Sounds like a popular myth.

guys who had years of experience playing NES/Atari/Arcade were apparently very good in combat simulation and lining up the cross hairs. This is what my friend who was a Navy/Air Force instructor told me a few years back. He said that the eye coordination used to to be difficult to train in any other way and those who excelled in video games apparently already that that training.

Nowadays those trained in drones are even better because they simply see it as a video game. Crazy

The video game pilot thing may be true in that instance, but what about the fact that the video kids probably can't pass the physical to even become a pilot? Playing video games isn't going to help you hit a baseball or stickhandle.

guys who had years of experience playing NES/Atari/Arcade were apparently very good in combat simulation and lining up the cross hairs. This is what my friend who was a Navy/Air Force instructor told me a few years back. He said that the eye coordination used to to be difficult to train in any other way and those who excelled in video games apparently already that that training.

Nowadays those trained in drones are even better because they simply see it as a video game. Crazy

I can appreciate that the games played help the hand/eye coordination. I'm questioning the statements I bolded in your other post. That's what I want the source for.

It should still take quite a bit of training in military systems, and there's certainly a hell of a lot more to making a "pro" military pilot. It's tough enough for the small airplane pilots I train, and it takes a whole lot to get them to the "pro" level, even after getting their basic license.

Your friend was an instructor in both the Navy and Air Force? How did that come about?

My hand-eye when it comes to deflecting shots is somewhere between bad and terrible. :tongue: Does anyone have any other tips or drills to improve hand eye when it comes to deflections off ice other than 'juggling' a ball or puck on your stick? When I go to Stick Time I always try to stand in front of the net and get some practice but it hasn't helped me a whole lot.

Oh and not to fuel the fire on video games but I did see a cool article. Army test Xbox controller for robot

This is what my friend who was a Navy/Air Force instructor told me a few years back.

That's interesting, they don't fly the same type of aircraft.