Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Jim

Lace Bite

I know this topic has been done before. I think I've read every thread on it about three or twenty times. :/ So I'm just looking for any more info/etc. If it gets deleted, it gets deleted.

I started skating about a year and a half ago. About ten days ago I got excrutiating lace bite from the minute I stepped on the ice. I had skated the night before but don't remember having any symptoms at the time. The experience was entirely new to me so I skated through it. I could barely skate though, It was like skating with one leg. I waited about five days to skate again and the pain had gone away quite a bit. As the shinny session went by it got worse and worse and I left early for the first time ever, so as to not make it any worse.

The last few days I've been researching researching researching to try to find anything out about this. I bought some bunga pads and although I haven't yet skated with them, I have tried my skates on at home with them and I don't think they're going to help. PERHAPS they will help keep it from coming back if I let it heal, but shit man who wants to do that! Nah. I'm going to wait at least until Monday (3 more days) to see if the pain disperses anymore and maybe then give it a whirl.

I'm just upset about the whole thing because I went a year and half without it and now I feel as if I'm going to have to deal with it forever. The skates are RBK 5ks. The tounge is felt but has soft plastic "bubbles" filled with some sort of dense yet squishy material on the outside. They seem fine to me, i.e. I don't think they've broke down.

Any advice?

I'm more so scared that even if I do let it heal all the way for a few weeks it will come right back and I'll have to deal with this forever. I don't understand how the bungas helped anyone at all because they're so thin... but my ankle is still quite sensitive right now so I probably just need to wait awhile and go from there.

Thanks for listening at least!

Once you get it, you will be dealing with it until you change whatever is causing the problem. It all boils down to the laces putting excessive pressure on one spot. Without seeing pics of you in the skates, there is no way to know if it is only the tongue breaking down or if it is caused by a lack of depth in the skates. Since the skates are 5ks, I think we can reasonably rule out them being way too stiff.

Perhaps it's an entirely different problem and not lace bite? Like a pinched nerve or something more "go see a doctor" rather than "go post on MSH"

I'm actually going in for a checkup soon, but I would think a pinched nerve would have other symptoms as well. This is right where the pressure from my laces is, so I'm pretty darn sure it's lace bite.

Once you get it, you will be dealing with it until you change whatever is causing the problem. It all boils down to the laces putting excessive pressure on one spot. Without seeing pics of you in the skates, there is no way to know if it is only the tongue breaking down or if it is caused by a lack of depth in the skates. Since the skates are 5ks, I think we can reasonably rule out them being way too stiff.

I've looked at and felt the tounge; it seems fine to me but I'm no expert that's for sure. It doesn't seem to be cracked anywhere. I took the pencil test and although I fail it, it's not excessive at all IMO. I've been in these skates a year and a half; I would think it would happen sooner, no? Fwiw, it's only my left foot.

As others have suggested, it could be you skates instep depth is too small for your foot, or the tongue has broken down, or perhaps it's a medical issue unrelated to the skate...I can tell you I had a similar problem, only on one foot, and it was very painful. I didn't consult a physician, so I don't really know why it was happening. However the foot I was getting lace bite on has a flat arch (the other is normal) and it's also a half-size bigger than my other foot. One or both of those factors could've led to the lace bite problem. In any case, I used THIS as a short-term/cheap solution, and it worked quite well. I had to put a longer lace in my one skate as it makes the tongue thicker. When that solved the problem, I later replaced the tongues in my skates with heavy felt (graf) models and the problem has not come back.

There's also a new lace bite pad that's been in a couple threads recently. I can't vouch for it, but it would be worth checking into.

As others have suggested, it could be you skates instep depth is too small for your foot, or the tongue has broken down, or perhaps it's a medical issue unrelated to the skate...I can tell you I had a similar problem, only on one foot, and it was very painful. I didn't consult a physician, so I don't really know why it was happening. However the foot I was getting lace bite on has a flat arch (the other is normal) and it's also a half-size bigger than my other foot. One or both of those factors could've led to the lace bite problem. In any case, I used THIS as a short-term/cheap solution, and it worked quite well. I had to put a longer lace in my one skate as it makes the tongue thicker. When that solved the problem, I later replaced the tongues in my skates with heavy felt (graf) models and the problem has not come back.

There's also a new lace bite pad that's been in a couple threads recently. I can't vouch for it, but it would be worth checking into.

thanks man.

I'm probably going to try to play this Tuesday as it's the last night of adult summer hockey camp. If it's killing me after that (with the use of two bungas on that particular foot) I'll let it rest for a month or until it's completely gone.

I thought about trying one of those pads, the AR or the G something that you're talking about. I almost ordered the G one the other night and I kind of wished I did, so maybe I'll get it if Tuesday is a complete fail.

I have a hard time blaming the skates only because I've used them for a year and a half skating about 3 times a week without any problems.

It actually feels quite a bit better tonight than it did yesterday. With three more nights of sleep to rest and help heal, along with using the bungas on Tuesday, hopefully I can figure this out.

I had this. My fix was:

- 3 weeks off. Let it heal. You have bruising now, let it heal up.

- Brand new laces. My old laces were rotten and went very 'thin' so added pressure im a smaller surface area.

- Dry your boots properly, every time. Wet laces or tongue caused me a lot of problems.

- new tongues. If they have gone thin or lost their padding, change them up. Or get new skates if you can't.

Collectively, these actions removed my lace bite. Continuing them (fresh laces / drying) has stopped it ever coming back.

you have been in your skates for 18 months so I'd almost bet it is lace bite because the tongue is starting to break down. The pain is because of pressure onto a tendon which becomes inflamed, only rest fixes the initial pain (generally 3 - 4 days) and if you remove the lace bite issue it will heal over time whilst you continue skating.

The solution I get players to try is cheap - bubble wrap. Get some and cut out a portion the length of your tongue and about 6 inches wide. Fold it over 3 times and then tape the sides (helps to hold it together). Slide it into your boot under the tongue and then foot into boot, lace up as usual. It shouldn't move or slide around once your boot is laced up.

You need to replace the bubble wrap every 4 or 5 games as the bubbles start to break. If you get no more pain then lace bite is your issue and you need new tongues, minimum.

thanks for the additional posts guys.

Here's the deal:

I skated tuesday night with one bunga on each foot. Only my left has lace bite but I thought wearing a pad on each foot would help keep things feeling the same. It was an adult hockey camp that I skated at and I did okay. Not too much pain, but I took it easy as it was an easier skate than we normally have. I didn't get a good knee bend too often either because that puts a ton of pressure on the tendon obviously. So I'm not really sure here- like I said it was an easy skate. It wasn't a game or even a scrimmage and I have a feeling that if it was it would have been hurting quite a bit more. My tendon or ankle did swell up a bit but it wasn't as much pain as it had been.

I bought some of the new G form pads a couple days later and I'm still waiting for them in the mail. Can't decide if I'm going to try skating again this coming Monday or give it another week to let it heal even more. It depends on when I get the new pads and try them on at home.

As far as the lace issue- I put new laces in it right away and reversed the lacing as well. As far as the tounges- you guys might be right... but they look and feel perfectly fine to me???????????? They're not cracked nor do they have any indentations anywhere so I just don't know. Next time I go to my LHS I'll ask if they replace tounges. If it's cheap enough I'll try that. Anyone have an idea of how much they run? If it's too much I'll consider getting new skates, but I want to stay away from that for now. I have wondered if the stiffness in my boot has broken down. IE they're not as stiff so perhaps they flex differently and that somehow causes my lace bite. Right now I'm got a "bump" on that tendon. Will that ever go away no matter how long I wait? Thanks guys.

The bump will go away over time as long as you rest it and remove the cause of the pain.

You won't see anything in the tongue, it's typically the inside of the tongue that breaks down. I do urge you to try the bubble wrap when at a camp or training skate, at least for a few days. It removes the pressure over the whole of the tendon, that is why you want it the length of the tongue.

I had this happen with some Mission Boss inline skates, instead of replacing the tongue or skates I used the bubble wrap add on for near on a year! My lace bite happened one week before a big tournament, for 3 days I was nearly in tears trying to get something to work. It was a Eureka moment that led me to trying bubble wrap and soon as I put it in I was able to skate pain free, 3 games a day for 5 days.

Good tongues with built in lace bite protection set me back around $70 each but it's been a while since I last got some so I don't know what they cost now.

where the heck can I get bubble wrap at vet? I don't have any around the house. It's been about 5 days since I skated and it's feeling really good *knock on wood*. I'm still going to wait and see if I get my new G form pads in the mail and I might try Wednesday. Honestly, I should give it another week though I think. Just to help it that much more. Yeah, think I should do that ;)

where the heck can I get bubble wrap at vet? I don't have any around the house. It's been about 5 days since I skated and it's feeling really good *knock on wood*. I'm still going to wait and see if I get my new G form pads in the mail and I might try Wednesday. Honestly, I should give it another week though I think. Just to help it that much more. Yeah, think I should do that ;)

Staples, Walmart, and I'm sure a bunch of other places

don't want scare you to much here but you have to change what is causing the pain, be it a new tongue, skates, g form pads or whatever. If you don't then these things typically come back twice as bad when you skate again, effectively it turns into a form of rsi. Feels fine until you start doing what set it off in the first place and then whammo, you are back to square one. And for rsi they suggest rests of 6 - 12 months......

So yes, rest it as much as you can but I doubt you will take 6 - 12 months off. Next time you skate if you haven't done a change in boot or tongue then make sure you use whatever you can as a shield for the tendon.

Another thing some people have tried is a tendon guard. Get some foam, closed cell neoprene is good, and cut a square to cover the tendon and surrounding area by about an 1" on all sides. Then where the tendon is sore cut a hole for it. The foam around the tendon takes the pressure from the tongue and helps to relieve the tendon.

Thanks for the replys vet88.

I skated on it last night bc I just couldn't resist. I didn't notice any more discomfort at the end of the session as compared to the beginning, but the tendon did swell up afterwards. I used both the bunga and g form pad. Next time I think I'm just going to roll with the G form pad. It doesn't feel any more tender today, maybe slightly, but it is a little more swollen. And yes, I will probably always wear something now on that skate, at least until I either change skates or for a very long time. It's not uncomfortable in the skate at all.

so i got vapor 7.0s after using x60s. I have been using the 7.0s for over a month now and i have recently started to get lace bite on my left foot. I have never had any lace bite issues but now I am starting to. New skates arent an option and new tongues are a last resort since not only is money an issue but I have training camp in 2 weeks so im in a bind. Is there anything I can do about this in my short amount of time and cash restraints.

For some reason, my lace bite has gone away lately, but I spoke to a bunch of experienced guys at the rink and they all suggested those lace bite pads...

I had severe issues with lace bite. I cut a piece of foam from the inside of couch cusions about 2 inches and the length of my ankle and put inside my sock. It works awsome. The foam can be purchased at material stores.

Does anyone know what is inbetween his laces. Looks like it would help with lace bite.... Is this an A & R lace bite pad?http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/106894203/National-Hockey-League

Since it's mid-foot and not near the ankle, it looks like it's there for shot blocking more than lace bite.

I've found the easiest lacebite fix ever.

Use a mouse pad. Cut it the shape you want, big or small.

Cut a hole (maybe the size of a penny/dime) in the center of the pad which will be placed over the area affected by lace bite.

Cheap, easy, comfy :) doesn't slip or pop (like bubble wrap) presto! works for me

Just to update this post....

I ended up using the Gform lace bit pads and they worked marvelously. They worked great for another guy I play with as well. I HIGHLY recommend them.... Unfortunately I broke my fibula a couple weeks ago so I won't be skating for quite some time. I just wanted to make sure to update this thread. If you have any question feel free to contact me via PM.