Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

orelayer

APX Fit Problem

After about 2 weeks skating on the APX I am still having pain in the sub talus area. (This area is just below and forward of the main ankle bone on the big toe side.) I have never had pain there in any skate I ever owned. This is happening in both feet. I am using the custom Graf footbeds that I used in my Vapor xxxx's. Could this be a volume problem? Is the Vapor 7.0's closer in fit and feel to the Vapor xxx's? Yes, I had them baked

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks!

After about 2 weeks skating on the APX I am still having pain in the sub talus area. (This area is just below and forward of the main ankle bone on the big toe side.) I have never had pain there in any skate I ever owned. This is happening in both feet. I am using the custom Graf footbeds that I used in my Vapor xxxx's. Could this be a volume problem? Is the Vapor 7.0's closer in fit and feel to the Vapor xxx's? Yes, I had them baked

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks!

Try skating in them with the standard footbeds.

I hate to say it, but I feel like I am wearing slippers when I have my APX on so to me it sounds like a bad fit.

What Skyscrape said. Mine feel like bedroom slippers with and without socks.

Yes the Vapor 7's are more like the older XXX designed boots but there is a HUGE gap in the way those older boots felt and the newer APX feels. I came out of X60's which are very similar to the Vapor 7's and my APX's are a different size and width AND feel great.

Put the stock insoles back. I haven't handled the apx yet but if they are anything like the total ones then volume in the boot is a problem with aftermarket footbeds.

I have the same problem with vapor xxxxs. I switched to rbks and the problem went away.

While in the vapor xxxxs I used a cut up mouse pad with a hole where that bone protrudes (too near the eyelet maybe?), worked like a charm, but lame that I had to do that in such expensive skates :(

So I think you got a volume problem...

Then what you probably should have done was bake them without footbeds and then put the graf footbeds in for when you put them on and molded them.

I had them baked again today. As soon as they got out of the oven I put the Graf footbeds in. I will be skating a few times this weekend, hopefully this will help.

While I was at the shop I tried on the 7.0's. They sure fit different. I tried on a size 7.5 (same as my APX) and the toe area on the APX has much more room and it also seemed the APX was a bit longer. My toes touched( barely) the end of the toe cap on the 7.0 but with the APX it doesn't. The pain I had with the APX was not there with the 7.0's but my toes/forefoot area felt a bit snug.

Try the 7.0 on with Superfeet and I am willing to bet your toe issues will be gone. I have a similar fit issue with one of my Midget players wanted the APX but it turns out the 7.0 would ave been a much better choice. We put in Superfeet as well as the Stable26 socks and it snugged up all the right places but still doesn't correct that they shouldnt have a different skate with a better fit.

Try the 7.0 on with Superfeet and I am willing to bet your toe issues will be gone. I have a similar fit issue with one of my Midget players wanted the APX but it turns out the 7.0 would ave been a much better choice. We put in Superfeet as well as the Stable26 socks and it snugged up all the right places but still doesn't correct that they shouldnt have a different skate with a better fit.

I tried everything to make the APX work, they just did not work for me. I have put them up for sale and ordered a piar of 7.0's

Thanks for everyone's input!

Wow, those seem really great - maybe I'll rethink my barefoot purism.

Its funny you say that a player I worked with last weekend at Mercyhurst said the same thing always used some kind of ankle pad and nver wore socks...now he wont skate with out them.

Even in other sports these are just taking right off.......Its hard to explain. Not saying every person that tries them loves them but everyone that does says they can feel the difference.

Its funny you say that a player I worked with last weekend at Mercyhurst said the same thing always used some kind of ankle pad and nver wore socks...now he wont skate with out them.

Even in other sports these are just taking right off.......Its hard to explain. Not saying every person that tries them loves them but everyone that does says they can feel the difference.

So your finding the players are feeling more locked into the skate because of the extra padding or are these offering support around the ankle as well? I'm pretty curious about these...

The findings are are this that any form of footwear has gaps under the ankle bone. With the Supreme the idea was to have as much negative space as possible and although it does a great job even more so with people like myself with a wider toe box I have a very narrow heel and unless I get custom in the heel it slips.

These pockets on either side can be filled with 3 different sizes and you can interchange the interior and exterior to suit your fit needs.

One of my midget players has the MAX 6mm external and 4mm internal and now has no slippage in the heel in her Flexlight that being the skate that suits her foot the best. Also has Superfeet and the difference in her overall performance has been fantastic. However its the combination of the Superfeet the Sock and the new profile as well. With all 3 its a world of difference.

I just ordered a pair due to the fact that I have extremely large ankle bones. I have a hard time getting 100% negative space in that spot in any skate because of it. I don't get any heel slip or anything like that but it sure would be nice to feel like the ankle is completely surrounded. I'm hoping these socks help with that. Thanks for posting that link.

JP

I would suggest these.

http://www.stable26....roducts/?hockey

Even with those that say they fit like slippers these socks have been working wonders with some of the athletes I have been working with as of late.

Anywhere to buy these in the States? The link on the website takes me to Amazon.ca, and I can't seem to find any US vendors. Thanks.

I picked up a pair of the Stable TwentySix socks from a LHS tonight ($49.99 CDN). So far they look like they'll help tighten up a very small amount of space below my ankle bones in my One80s.

I've tried them around the house with the 4mm in either side on both feet, and this seems to be a good fit so far. Once I try them on the ice a few times I'll let everyone know how they worked.

A side note, if anyone is looking to pick up a pair of these online without the benefit of trying them on first, I found that the sizing fits a bit big.

I wear a size 8EE skate, 10 US shoe. I'm wearing the MEDIUM Stable TwentySix. On their sizing guide this corresponds to 7-9 US Men.

My advice would be to order your skate size, not your shoe size. If I had gone with my shoe size and ordered online the sock would have been too large.