Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2011-2012 Suspension thread

Torres got 2 games for his hit against Prosser.

http://video.nhl.com...pid=nhl-rxl-twt

Wait, so Torres had dirty hits on Andrew Ference, someone from the Avalanche (can't remember who off the top of my head), and then this hit all in a span of like, a week and a half? And he gets two games for it? This guy blatantly tries to hurt people night in and night out and he got TWO games for this? Unbelievable.

As for Carcillo, I wouldn't be surprised to see double digits, being this is his third incident just this season alone.

Wait, so Torres had dirty hits on Andrew Ference, someone from the Avalanche (can't remember who off the top of my head), and then this hit all in a span of like, a week and a half? And he gets two games for it? This guy blatantly tries to hurt people night in and night out and he got TWO games for this? Unbelievable.

It's amazing how some people seem to get favorable rulings time and time again.

I'll never understand the thought process of a club's GM when they sign players like Cooke, Torres, and Carcillo. Are there REALLY no other players available to fill the 3rd/4th line roles??

I'll never understand the thought process of a club's GM when they sign players like Cooke, Torres, and Carcillo. Are there REALLY no other players available to fill the 3rd/4th line roles??

You've hit upon the NHL's dirty little secret. They actually sign those guys because of the way they play. The teams will accept a few games missed here and there over the course of the season in exchange for having a guy that the other team has to worry about in every other game.

aka a loose cannon - keeps people in line (sometimes)

Guys like Cooke, Torres and Carcillo don't keep people in line. They keep people looking over their shoulder and thinking twice about being first to the corner because they have to worry about the idiot factor.

i suppose there are three different groups: enforcers/fighters (steve macintyre, cam jannsen, george parros, ben eager, jody shelley, etc..)

dirty players (cooke, torres, carcillo, sutton, ruutu, etc..)

agitators (maxim lapierre, sean avery, steve ott, alex burrows, brad marchand, cal clutterbuck, etc..)

but you could also argue that many agitators are also dirty players.

i suppose there are three different groups: enforcers/fighters (steve macintyre, cam jannsen, george parros, ben eager, jody shelley, etc..)

dirty players (cooke, torres, carcillo, sutton, ruutu, etc..)

agitators (maxim lapierre, sean avery, steve ott, alex burrows, brad marchand, cal clutterbuck, etc..)

but you could also argue that many agitators are also dirty players.

Agitator = dirty player on your team

are all agitators dirty players? are there any that just run their mouth but don't play dirty? I couldn't think of one off the top of my head - maybe they don't exist

are all agitators dirty players? are there any that just run their mouth but don't play dirty? I couldn't think of one off the top of my head - maybe they don't exist

They all have dirty in their game to some degree. There isn't an agitator out there who won't be jabbing you with the stick or rubbing you out late on an offside whistle or "accidentally" knocking into your goalie. It is just what they do.

Interesting. The NHL had one camera angle I didn't see the other night. It looked quite apparent that Gilbert turned hard into Carcillo, and Carcillo basically shoved him away, hard. I now understand Quenneville's remark about both players trying to do the same thing, but Gilbert coming off second best. I think Carcillo's history was a huge factor in this suspension, as well as a major factor in the call on the ice.

i also think the carcillo hit was not that bad. he made contact from the side at the shoulder and the momentum of gilbert plus the loss of balance sent him in all cockeyed. i think the hits near the boards are by far the most dangerous in the game. yeah, a guy can get rocked hard at mid-ice but at least he cant break his neck there. why the league still tolerates shots from behind towards the boards is beyond me.

also, i can't understand how hitting from behind anywhere on the ice is allowed. that seems to be a new trend in the NHL that i dont remember seeing. guys just run over other players facing away from them and its no big deal. in lacrosse, thats a penalty and i always thought it was in hockey as well. i remember being taught in football and lacrosse, if you can see the numbers, you cant hit them period.

Gilbert flew ten feet into the boards, that has always been boarding. Neither one of them wanted to play the puck, they were both hoping to drill the other guy. That is the problem.

Bingo. Neither guy had any regard for the puck in that situation, and the end result was a lengthy, but not lengthy enough suspension, and two more injuries to add to the list...

It looks as though the Blackhawks may be keeping quiet on whether Carcillo's still hurt, so the league doesn't consider delaying his suspension until they know he's over the injury.

I could see the league fining them if they put him on the IR after the suspension is over. It just looked like a sprained ankle though, not a really long term injury.