Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2011-2012 Suspension thread

I wouldn't be surprised if Subban doesn't get suspended, but I haven't even read anything about him having a talk with Shanahan. I think that is a mistake, even if he doesn't get suspended, he should at least have the threat of punishment in the future and have it be made clear to him that that type of hit is not legal, and will be punished in the future. It did look like his intent was to put a clean check on Krejci, but he had that high follow through with his elbow/forearm and did make contact with Krejci's head. That, coupled with his reputation should at least get him a meeting and a warning.

Video, for those who haven't seen it:

You could read Ference's lips as saying, "Keep smiling..." Their next meeting might be interesting as long as the B's do not get carried away and draw unnecessary penalties. We all know that Subban will never fight and turtle up again...

So a questionable hip check that freakishly causes a concussion to a walking hospital bill, gets 5 games, and a textbook example of what the league "wants" to get rid of gets 3. Makes sense.

Anyone catch Malkin undercut levavalier the other night and then he tried to it on boyle tonight ? It's only a matter of time he gets suspended for it

ill probably agree to disagree - i dont think malkin is trying to injure anyone - i think he is just trying to avoid the hit.

lecavalier swears malkin was going for his knees - but when someone has me lined up and i try to duck under the hit it doesn't mean i was going for his knees. maybe i was just trying to avoid the hit?

marchand was a completely different story.

ill probably agree to disagree - i dont think malkin is trying to injure anyone - i think he is just trying to avoid the hit.

lecavalier swears malkin was going for his knees - but when someone has me lined up and i try to duck under the hit it doesn't mean i was going for his knees. maybe i was just trying to avoid the hit?

marchand was a completely different story.

100% agreed. Anybody but Malkin who does it is cheap.

Okay, I'll bite.. Marchand in my opinion was just as much an aggressor in his instance than the hit 'reciever' and he ducked at the last second, thats cheap. Vinny had Malkin lined up dead to rights for a good 3-5 feet and Malkin ducked under the hit and Vinny got mad when he wiffed. I still dont understand why he was so furious.. Guys duck under checks along the boards all the time. Vinny not getting a fine for a few gloved (meh) and one bare hand suckerpunches is questionable to me.

/Pens fan

100% agreed. Anybody but Malkin who does it is cheap.

that's not what i said - are you saying no matter what the situation it is always dirty to try to avoid a hit?

Okay, I'll bite.. Marchand in my opinion was just as much an aggressor in his instance than the hit 'reciever' and he ducked at the last second, thats cheap. Vinny had Malkin lined up dead to rights for a good 3-5 feet and Malkin ducked under the hit and Vinny got mad when he wiffed. I still dont understand why he was so furious.. Guys duck under checks along the boards all the time. Vinny not getting a fine for a few gloved (meh) and one bare hand suckerpunches is questionable to me.

/Pens fan

Lecavalier was mad, justifiably so, because by Malkin going so low to avoid the hit then it puts Levalalier in a dangerous position because he is leading with his upper body and by having Malkin down at his legs it makes the hitter go face first at the glass with no way to hold up. If I was Lecavalier, I probably would have gone after Malkin, as well.

Cam, I believe it is dirty to go so low to avoid the hit, not to mention it puts the duckers own head in a dangerous position (see my comment on Marc Savard).

so then should the nhl make a rule that says if you are about to be checked you are not allowed to duck? I suppose that would solve it then if you get a penalty any time you do it.

But if I pretend I am in malkin's shoes - he is probably going to say he will keep doing it because it has enabled him to avoid some pretty big hits (the ovechkin attempted beheadings) and other possible injuries - and as far as i know he hasnt injured anyone either. I'm not saying what he does is right or wrong - just playing devil's advocate.

i can see what you are saying - when you duck it kind of flips the tables and makes it so the hitter is more likely to get hurt - but besides penalizing players what else can you do?

i think hip checks are starting to fall in this grey area too - either way you could go too low and end up hitting someone in the knee

i read a little bit more about it and it seems like the "clipping" penalty almost applies - but only if you go below the knee like in scuderi's case

i think keith ballard is fairly well know for throwing really low hip checks

If ducking is OK, then a prospective checker needs to have enough sense to allow for the possibility. If he doesn't, he's got no business blaming the guy who ducks.

Thank you. Vinny was too stupid to give even a microsecond of thought that Malkin might duck. He lunged so hard with his upper body that he left himself exposed. If he'd given more of a full body hit the end result wouldnt have been as bad/embarrassing for him, and thats a play that happens every night in the NHL.

Andrew Ference just boarded McDonagh. I think he will be missing a few games.

Yup. He made zero effort to play the puck and plastered McD. Another case of the Bruins' "Thug Life" mentality.