Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2011-2012 Suspension thread

Chadd will you ever been satisfied with the suspensions? You have to draw the line somewhere!

If the league appeared to be taking things seriously, I would be satisfied. It seems that players are only getting stiff suspensions if they are a no-name with a history. It's a slight improvement over past years, but I don't think what has happened in the preseason will have a significant impact on the problem. It's worth a game or two if you take out a star player on the other team with a long term injury. There is a reason that every team has a couple of those guys on their roster now.

It sounds like they gave smith the option of appearing in person, that means it could be more than 5. Interesting note is that the penalty wasn't a rule 48 minor, it was a match penalty. It will be interesting to see if the refs were instructed to be more liberal with match penalties this year.

Here's a video explaining the changes to head shots and boarding, as this are the most common reasons for suspensions.

http://podcasts.nhl.com/ops/2011_Player_Safety_DVD.mp4

Also added to the first post.

If the league appeared to be taking things seriously, I would be satisfied. It seems that players are only getting stiff suspensions if they are a no-name with a history. It's a slight improvement over past years, but I don't think what has happened in the preseason will have a significant impact on the problem. It's worth a game or two if you take out a star player on the other team with a long term injury. There is a reason that every team has a couple of those guys on their roster now.

Shannahan gives the person who got suspended more then 1 or 2 based on his history of suspensions.

Shannahan gives the person who got suspended more then 1 or 2 based on his history of suspensions.

That remains to be seen in the regular season.

Even then, it could be a younger player or long time minor leaguer with no history trying to earn a spot on the big club. And even if it were a guy with a history of suspensions, he isn't likely to be skating in the playoffs, so it really wouldn't matter if he took someone out during the last few games of the regular season. There are dozens of hypothetical situations, we'll see how it goes over the course of the season. Hopefully the Neil ruling was an aberration and not an indication of how it will go in the regular season.

In my opinion shanny has the hardest job in the nhl right now...

but you have to keep one thing in mind.. you have to keep your head up in hockey and while watching the video of brendan on ben I believe ben has his head down.. Not saying brendan isnt wrong.. He did hit the head big time but what if ben kept his head up? Ofcourse this is speculation but I think we wouldnt be talking about the hit right now, because either he saw him coming or he got rocked..

just my point of view..

Even as a wings fan, I can't disagree with the suspension. Smith took a poor angle that meant he would likely contact the head if he went for a high hit. He led high with the shoulder and finished by exploding upwards with his arm.

Glad to see the suspension on Smith. His stick was off the ice, on the other side of his body from the puck, and even if he didn't aim for the head, he had to know he would be close, and there was a really good chance he'd hit the head, and hard.

That remains to be seen in the regular season.

Even then, it could be a younger player or long time minor leaguer with no history trying to earn a spot on the big club. And even if it were a guy with a history of suspensions, he isn't likely to be skating in the playoffs, so it really wouldn't matter if he took someone out during the last few games of the regular season. There are dozens of hypothetical situations, we'll see how it goes over the course of the season.

I was wondering about the players like Smith who probably weren't going to be with their teams come the regular season and while watching the Hawks-Pens game one of their announcers made a point saying how can they regulate wherever that player goes they will sit games out? As it stands at this point I am guessing that they can go down to the AHL and continue playing but once would/could get pulled up then they have to wait the 5 games?

I was wondering about the players like Smith who probably weren't going to be with their teams come the regular season and while watching the Hawks-Pens game one of their announcers made a point saying how can they regulate wherever that player goes they will sit games out? As it stands at this point I am guessing that they can go down to the AHL and continue playing but once would/could get pulled up then they have to wait the 5 games?

Yes Brendan Smith's suspension 5 NHL games and has no bearing on his AHL playing time.

I just think it's kinda silly because a guy can just goon it up on a lineup he couldn't crack and just be sent down. Since the leagues are directly affiliated I think there should be an option for him to serve the 5 games down in the AHL.

I realize that but the fact of the matter is if this guy never plays a game in the NHL then he got away scotch free. I'm wondering if he still has to forfeit pay?

I just think it's kinda silly because a guy can just goon it up on a lineup he couldn't crack and just be sent down. Since the leagues are directly affiliated I think there should be an option for him to serve the 5 games down in the AHL.

he should be required to be on the roster for the next five games and not be eligible to be sent down until the suspension is complete.

I'd like to see the NHL suspend the roster spot for the length of the player's suspension. If a guy gets two games, the team plays a man short for two games.

I agree with that as well, too bad that neither the union or the league wants any part of that.

he should be required to be on the roster for the next five games and not be eligible to be sent down until the suspension is complete.

Interesting thought.

I've often thought that the team itself should take some kind of hit. The management and coaches that hire goons, and send them out for a shift, with a mission, seem to get away without an incentive to change their ways. I don't think losing a player hired for that role, for a few games, is that big a deal to a team.

Interesting thought.

I've often thought that the team itself should take some kind of hit. The management and coaches that hire goons, and send them out for a shift, with a mission, seem to get away without an incentive to change their ways. I don't think losing a player hired for that role, for a few games, is that big a deal to a team.

I think the idea that tailboard jockey suggested addresses that. The team loses a roster spot for that many games. Not being able to dress anyone to take that spot would be a pretty major impact. Of course, that salary should still count against the cap too.

That seems effectively the same as your suggestion, as far as the team goes. Either way, it's something against the team.

Rats! The kicker just stopped Hester from another TD return.

That seems effectively the same as your suggestion, as far as the team goes. Either way, it's something against the team.

Rats! The kicker just stopped Hester from another TD return.

Most teams do carry a couple spare players, not allowing them to dress a replacement would be a major change and have a big impact.

Not allowing them to send the guy down would ensure that the guy isn't shuffled between the ahl and nhl and serving his suspension on 'off' days in the other league.

Losing a "dressed" spot on the bench would be an even better hit than losing a roster spot; I like it. That's assuming my understanding of "roster" is correct, that it includes the players in the press box who didn't dress for the game.

So let's say that they do put a rule in place where the suspended player's team forefits a roster spot for the duration of his suspension. Would you guys still be in favor of this if a player gets suspended for an extended length of time? Also, how would the league decide what type of suspension would warrant the loss of a roster spot?

The idea seems to me like it adds even more gray area in the suspension equation, and also adds some pretty serious consequences that would further polarize an already divided fanbase when it comes to suspensions.

The length of the suspension wouldn't affect my opinion on the matter. The unintended consequence that I would fear would be such a punishment making the league less inclined to impose suspensions long enough to be taken seriously. It's tough enough now, without any team sanction.

Losing a "dressed" spot on the bench would be an even better hit than losing a roster spot; I like it. That's assuming my understanding of "roster" is correct, that it includes the players in the press box who didn't dress for the game.

That's the word I was looking for, the "dressed" list (thanks wrangler). The dressed list is normally 20, so if a guy gets suspended for two games, the dressed list for that team becomes 19 for those two games.

I think the peer pressure from the team alone would be enough to curb a huge amount of cheap shots.

I suspect that Daniel Carcillo's (Blackhawks) going to be handed a short-ish suspension tomorrow for a hit to the head of Alex Semin in the Blackhawks vs. Capitals game. Semin looks to be fine, though. Was called "head-butting" and Carcillo was sent back to the locker room after being assessed a major penalty/game misconduct.