Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2011-2012 Suspension thread

Did anyone see the heated debate Milbury and Jonesy got into during the Rangers-Kings intermission over the Zuccarello hit? It was a good back-and-forth for sure, with Milbury finally having enough and almost slipping an f-bomb. He says these suspensions are starting to piss him off more and more, while Jones thinks the Zuccarello hit is suspendable. No video yet, but I'm sure it'll be up sooner than later.

It was definitely a scary hit but I agree every dirty/questionable hit is being called for suspension when sometimes the penalty called was punishment enough.

Did anyone see the heated debate Milbury and Jonesy got into during the Rangers-Kings intermission over the Zuccarello hit? It was a good back-and-forth for sure, with Milbury finally having enough and almost slipping an f-bomb. He says these suspensions are starting to piss him off more and more, while Jones thinks the Zuccarello hit is suspendable. No video yet, but I'm sure it'll be up sooner than later.

If it annoys Milbury I'm all for more suspensions. But seriously, if they want the game changed, come down hard now and nobody will even remember it happened in a few months. Track incidents long term and you can see what effect it had, everything else is pure conjecture.

say whatever you want about cooke - but i think shanaban better at least put out a video explaining why they did/didn't suspend sarich for this hit - otherwise players in the league will start losing faith real fast. Names shouldn't matter or come into play when making a ruling. I don't even like cooke and i still think they need to put out a video explaining it.

http://video.nhl.com...nsole?id=127212

say whatever you want about cooke - but i think shanaban better at least put out a video explaining why they did/didn't suspend sarich for this hit - otherwise players in the league will start losing faith real fast. Names shouldn't matter or come into play when making a ruling. I don't even like cooke and i still think they need to put out a video explaining it.

That's tough because of the size difference, but you can see Sarich throw up the elbow in the last angle.

It looks like a full body check that also gets the head, no way the hit on Cooke is a suspension. The cross check to the face/head of Kunitz(?) afterwards is way more problematic for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1WAjrQhAk

i also think the stick to dupuis's face immediately after was a little excessive as well..

here is another view of it.

with all the "transparency" and "consistency" they have been trying to show so far - i think that they really need to at least put out an explanation on it rather than sweep it under the carpet and not talk about it like campbell would usually do..

and this isn't homerism.. i just would like for them to talk about the controversial stuff rather than avoid it.

I hate to see anyone go through it but does anyone else have a small part of them that wishes Cooke experiences one day of post concussion symptoms so that maybe he'll finally learn his lesson.

I hate to see anyone go through it but does anyone else have a small part of them that wishes Cooke experiences one day of post concussion symptoms so that maybe he'll finally learn his lesson.

No, for the same reason I don't want to see anyone experience it. I don't have a double standard.

I'll admit that I have been a fan of Shanahan's approach so far. To me, the most valuable asset the league or the owners have is the players and therefore, it makes sense that we ought to be protecting them. If there is any doubt on a matter, I'd prefer that we err on the side of enforcing rules and protecting player health. That said, this Bouchard call seems to be a complete error. The video to me is clear: Calvert attempts to pitchfork Bouchard's stick and simultaneously steps into Bouchard. A classic move to get position on the face-off. Simultaneously, Bouchard lifts his stick to impede Calvert. I assume Calvert didn't expect this, so his leverage lifts Bouchard's stick right into his own face as he's stepping forward. Result, a cut lip and lost teeth. If Bouchard was due a penalty, it was 4 minute high stick, or an interference. I have no problem with that. But a 2 game suspension and now treatment as a repeat offender is crazy. Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing something? I hope Shanahan doesn't start over-reacting to any situation in which there is an injury. I support Shanahan's general approach, but this seems to be evidence of how it can be mis-managed.

Explanatory video is here: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=127216

No. With me, its a very LARGE part.

I'll admit that I have been a fan of Shanahan's approach so far. To me, the most valuable asset the league or the owners have is the players and therefore, it makes sense that we ought to be protecting them. If there is any doubt on a matter, I'd prefer that we err on the side of enforcing rules and protecting player health. That said, this Bouchard call seems to be a complete error. The video to me is clear: Calvert attempts to pitchfork Bouchard's stick and simultaneously steps into Bouchard. A classic move to get position on the face-off. Simultaneously, Bouchard lifts his stick to impede Calvert. I assume Calvert didn't expect this, so his leverage lifts Bouchard's stick right into his own face as he's stepping forward. Result, a cut lip and lost teeth. If Bouchard was due a penalty, it was 4 minute high stick, or an interference. I have no problem with that. But a 2 game suspension and now treatment as a repeat offender is crazy. Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing something? I hope Shanahan doesn't start over-reacting to any situation in which there is an injury. I support Shanahan's general approach, but this seems to be evidence of how it can be mis-managed.

Explanatory video is here: http://video.nhl.com...nsole?id=127216

You don't slash a guy at the shoulders or higher. Absolutely agree with this suspension.

I agree, the suspension is appropriate. I don't understand how you can disagree that a player is responsible for their stick. Bouchard should have just skated away after Calvert's stick went between his legs. Hell, maybe he could have drawn a tripping penalty if he'd skated away when the stick was between his legs. But he didn't and instead he responded with his stick which resulted in injury. His bad, enjoy the 2 game ban.

I agree, the suspension is appropriate. I don't understand how you can disagree that a player is responsible for their stick. Bouchard should have just skated away after Calvert's stick went between his legs. Hell, maybe he could have drawn a tripping penalty if he'd skated away when the stick was between his legs. But he didn't and instead he responded with his stick which resulted in injury. His bad, enjoy the 2 game ban.

Even chopping at the stick while it was between his legs would have made more sense than what he actually did. Essentially, he's getting two games for reckless stupidity with a stick. That's roughly the same thing Campbell would have done.

I agree that Bouchard is responsible for his own stick, but what I don't understand is how Bouchard can be suspended when even Shanahan acknowledges that Calvert lifted Bouchard's stick into his own face. It's like saying that Calvert can grab Bouchard's hand and beat himself silly and that Bouchard would be punishable for a fighting major in that instance. When I saw this live, it even appeared as though Bouchard attempted to drop his stick so that Calvert wouldn't get hurt but couldn't react in time. These are two players I barely know, so it is neither here nor there, but if this is the way Shanahan will call things, the entire league will be repeat offenders by the end of next season.

Haven't seen it yet but if it is similar to something like the Avery sucker shot from a little while back then probably nothing. Remember, Shanny said about that one something to the effect of, "that's how all my fights started".

The other guy was actually climbing into the bench when it happened

Was it as bad as the one Malkin threw at Glencross?

I agree that Bouchard is responsible for his own stick, but what I don't understand is how Bouchard can be suspended when even Shanahan acknowledges that Calvert lifted Bouchard's stick into his own face. It's like saying that Calvert can grab Bouchard's hand and beat himself silly and that Bouchard would be punishable for a fighting major in that instance.

Dunno about the suspension but that's the way the rule is called. Jordan Staal got a high stick call a couple years ago in the exact same situation.

I agree that Bouchard is responsible for his own stick, but what I don't understand is how Bouchard can be suspended when even Shanahan acknowledges that Calvert lifted Bouchard's stick into his own face. It's like saying that Calvert can grab Bouchard's hand and beat himself silly and that Bouchard would be punishable for a fighting major in that instance. When I saw this live, it even appeared as though Bouchard attempted to drop his stick so that Calvert wouldn't get hurt but couldn't react in time. These are two players I barely know, so it is neither here nor there, but if this is the way Shanahan will call things, the entire league will be repeat offenders by the end of next season.

Are you serious? I apologise in advance if I missed the sarcasm.

If Bouchard doesn't swing his stick at Calvert's shoulders or chest then Calvert doesn't hit in the face.

So the only suspension of the regular season has been a two handed slash to the face? Looks like a lot of guys are still getting away with head shots. Sarich with the cross check, Giordano with the sucker punch to the side of the head, etc...

If I missed some suspensions, please let me know. I can't seem to find a list anywhere.