Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gymmonster

"Gamey" Tasting Meat: What exactly is "gamey"?

This past holiday season I was "treated" to some non-grocery store meat by my brother in law who is an avid hunter. I sampled Deer steaks, Grouse, Bear steaks, and Moose sausage.

I did not particularly enjoy any of the above mentioned meats. To me they tasted very "gamey", akin to lamb. However both of my brother in laws (one being the hunter) did not understand what I meant by "gamey" tasting. I myself had a difficult time describing what I meant.

To me the aftertaste of lamb or again the above mentioned meats, is what I would call gamey, yet I have no other word(s) to describe what I mean. My in-laws said they do not experience any different or weird aftertaste compared to say beef, pork, or chicken.

Does anyone else taste meat the same way? I probably sound like a rambling idiot but it's been bugging me for a while now trying to think up a proper way to describe the taste of said meats.

Deer, in particular has a gamey aftertaste to me. I hunt, I fish, I cook my own kills. It's definitely a unique taste... it's not as noticeable if you eat a Jerky as opposed to a steak.

Wild meat doesn't have the preservatices or drugs or any of the things corporate farms do to their meat. You're getting the actual taste of the animal. Wild game is a leaner meat due to those animals are not sitting around in pens all day, so you lose a lot of that fatty flavor. Enjoy it when you get it. It's better for you. I'd never buy cow or chicken or pork again if I had constant access to game meat.

I've always used the term "gamey" as well to describe certain wild animal meat that has an odd after taste. I'm not sure that I've ever been asked to explain it. Most folks, even those who eat a ton of venison, usually just know what I mean. But, if I had to, I'd say it's almost a bitter, sandy feeling in my mouth.

I do have a few tips to try to limit it, if interested. I, too, hunt, fish, camp and do the general outdoorsy "mountain man wanna-be" thing. To me, there are a few things that go into significantly limiting this "gamey" after taste.

1: Prep the meat ASAP. Especially if the weather is warm, the sooner you get the animal "processed" (cut up, packaged, and frozen) the better, in my opinion. (Some whole-heartedly disagree and actually "age" the meat by hanging it in a walk in cooler that is just a bit above freezing which allows the enzymes in the meat to actually break it down some. I find that while that may help make the meat a little more tender, it does nothing with the TASTE. Again, just a personal opinion thing.)

2: Try soaking the steaks in milk before cooking. Unlike simply marinating in something like Italian dressing to tenderize, milk seems to actually draw some of the "gamey" taste out of the meat while also somewhat tenderizing.

3: Add pork to the ground meat.

4: "Undercook" the meat. Venison is generally so lean that even cooking to medium turns it into shoe leather. Now, if you show me beef that is still pink inside it just about makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit because all I can think of is getting very ill from some sort of bacteria (E. coli etc.) from poor handling. With wild game meat, however, you generally know just how that meat was handled/packaged and should feel much safer about this. I'll eat a medium rare deer tenderloin and not even think twice about it.

5: Befriend bowhunters! In my experience, animals dispatched with firearms go into instant "OMG mode" the second they hear the shot. They run like mad with tons of adrenaline pumping until they drop. By contrast, almost every animal I have taken with a bow and arrow has almost just stood there completely calm after being hit. I've actually had some go right back to browsing along, feeding, or whatever they were doing before hand as if nothing even happened! I believe that the concentration of that chemical - either the adrenaline itself or some other biproduct of it within the body - , or lack thereof, in the muscles upon expiration is directly linked to how strong, or weak, of an "after taste" the meat will have. (There have been studies done that suggest this, by the way.)

The point to my rambling is simply that I have been able to prepare game meat for people that they haven't even been able to tell it wasn't beef. (Or, at least they found it very enjoyable compared to their previous experiences.) I believe it really comes down to the way things are handled not only in the kitchen, but also largely in the field. Anyway, I can honestly say I never expected to have this conversation on a hockey site. But, cool.

P.S. If anyone is thinking of posting up saying anything like, "How can anyone kill a cute, defenseless animal like that?", for example... Please don't bother. The bottom line is that I eat meat and have no problem with it. An internet posting won't change that. If anyone out there doesn't eat meat, I have no problem with you making that decision either. More power to you. I purposely choose to take (and grow via a garden) some of my own food rather than relying solely on a grocery store. (Mostly for reasons stated above. It's healthier/leaner and not pumped up with steroids/antibiotics. I also generally know where it has been as I handled it myself or let another trusted individual handle it for me. I also, perhaps ironically, find it to be more humane than the way some animals raised for food are treated.) I respect your decision and only ask the same in return. :smile:

I was told that if you get a male deer who hasnt started in on rutting season you'll also get a less weird tasting meat. I actually found bear to resemble beef the most. My brother in law usually brings the animal to a professional butcher to have it cut up for a small fee as he has not quite mastered that aspect yet so it seems like there might be some wait time that could add to the "gamey" taste.

He hunts with rifles, which although I don't believe are large calibre, likely kill the animal in one shot, although I do not know if this contributes to the taste or effects the meat in any way.

I've actually got a few more deer steaks and ground deer in the deep freeze I think I'll try putting it in milk for a while. Do you notice any difference with say broiling, pan frying, or grilling? I also had some smoked bear jerky that very very closely resembled beef.

Funny thing, I find the texture and taste of ostrich to be exactly like beef.

It does seem like rutting bucks sometimes taste less desirable. I'm not so sure that it's an actual chemical/chemistry thing as much as it is just the fact that most bucks that go full tilt during the rut are generally older and do a lot of pre-rut fighting (to determine breeding rights within the buck ranks) which tends to make them even more lean/muscular and "sinewy" than a younger buck or doe. Whenever I take a "rutted up" buck, the first thing I do is remove the tarsal glands from the rear inner-legs (even before field dressing them). Tarsal glands have a really rank odor when the buck is rutting as the glands themselves not only secrete a musk during the rut, but dominant bucks also purposely urinate down the inside of their back legs onto the glands as well. (It's their own "calling card" scent to let other deer know they control that area.) I don't want that getting anywhere near the meat. (I also save the glands for next season and hang them on branches near me when I hunt as sometimes the smell can attract other dominant bucks looking for a pre-rut fight.)

One other thing I've found with rifle vs. archery hunting is that bullets tend to dispatch the animal by shock while arrows tend to dispatch by hemorrhage. In other words, a bullet tends to turn some of the internal organs into "soup". If this happens to the intestines and/or stomach, the contents of either can taint the meat which definitely can make the taste less pleasant. (Of course, a bad shot with an arrow can go right through either as well. But, if the hunter does their job then only the heart/lungs are taken out for a very quick dispatch.)

I currently live in town and doubt my neighbors would appreciate me processing a deer in my back yard. As I try to be sensitive to non-hunters (not anti-hunters - they're gonna complain no matter what and have no desire to see my side of the story) I have been using a butcher/deer processor that I trust for the past couple years. It's kind of convenient anyway as they can also turn portions into jerky, sausage, and "trail bologna". (I've never been set up to do any smoking or dried meats.) Most of time with processed meats like that I can't tell the difference between deer, elk, moose, or whatever... and beef. Quite enjoyable.

Can't say I've ever had ostrich. I'd certainly try it though and have the hide turned into a nice wallet. Many folks find bear meat to be a bit of an acquired taste when straight up grilled or fried. So, if you like it then you're ahead of the curve when it comes to wild game meat. Probably my favorite wild game of all is turkey. I think it's just because it tastes nearly identical to what you buy in the store, so I've never had anyone complain or really even notice a difference. (And to think folks will spend a ton of money on "free range / organic" turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner when they could just go have the time of their life with their son/daughter bagging their own.)

As for cooking, it tends to depend upon the cut. I use a crock pot most often for the roasts. (Assuming I don't have the roasts just turned into ground meat for burgers and chili.) They just seem to need the slow, long cooking time in order to be tender enough to be edible. When it comes to the tenderloins and "back straps" (steak cuts), I definitely prefer grilling or pan frying to medium rare. When I pan fry, I tend to dredge them in flour and saute with onions and butter for a sort of country-fried steak. Grilling is usually just a dry rub on the outside and straight to the grill. It's very simple, really. Though I do occasionally try more elaborate recipes I find online specifically for venison. I've never personally broiled venison. So, I can't share any experiences there. But, as with anything, I'm sure if the preparation and cut are appropriate that it would be good. (Man, my mouth is watering here. I think I'll raid the freezer. Deer meat: It's what's for dinner!)

I have converted many a " I don't like deer meat" people to venison lovers! It has to do with not over cooking the meat and treating the backstraps and inner loins like filet. Medium rare inside, seared outside, let it rest 5 minutes and serve. I bowhunt only, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with the fact thy there is no gamey taste whatsoever...

Thanks for all the replies guys, will definately pass on the info to my bro in law and also apply what I've learned to my own cooking of game meat.

My current favourite is Grouse cordon bleu in the deep fryer....nothing crazy but it hits the spot with some roasted veggies, potatoes, and a beer after hockey!

Some gunshot deer bleed, some die from trauma, depends on shot placement. If the weather is below 40, hanging the deer before processing for a day or two will dramatically help texture and flavor.

I've heard a lot of different reasons for the gamey flavor. From the fact that wild animals are more lean and active, more blood in the muscles from running after being shot, wild diet, age of the animals (hunted animals tend to be older than say beef cattle) and things mentioned above. But then domesticated animals like lamb have a gamey flavor, but not to the point of venison. It's very odd.

I more or less stopped hunting because I just never enjoyed the flavor of venison (among other reasons). Really it's not the flavor of it so much as the smell of it cooking that puts me off. I think about hunting again every year, just to spend some more time with my old man. I probably should, they're so little pressure where he hunts, they never see too many deer anyhow.

Wild meat doesn't have the preservatices or drugs or any of the things corporate farms do to their meat. You're getting the actual taste of the animal. Wild game is a leaner meat due to those animals are not sitting around in pens all day, so you lose a lot of that fatty flavor. Enjoy it when you get it. It's better for you. I'd never buy cow or chicken or pork again if I had constant access to game meat.

Couldnt have said it any better myself!

I'm resurrecting this post as I just shot and downed my first buck (blacktail). I have an Uncle who butchers and processes all his own meat so he helped me get it prepped. One thing he brought up, to help eliminate the gamey flavor, is to cut off as much of the fat/tendon connections as possible. He claimed that this also attributed to the gamey flavor that many people bring up. He tries to get as much off even for the meat that will end up in the grinder. Anyone else agree with this?

That does help, but you have to realize with most of those types of animals, their fat content isn't that high.

I dont understand why people label non grocery aisle meats as "Gamey". I'm an avid food person, i have a culinary degree. I love any types of meats. Two weeks ago i was having roasted duck for lunch, last week i was eating goat with my dad. My coworkers brought me some elk and previous to that i got boar sausages. I LOVE animal meats that aren't just chickens or cows or pigs. They have a fantastic taste to them. I wish i could have bison more often but at the price it goes, i'd rather not. It's a shame my fiancee isn't into that.

I dont understand why people label non grocery aisle meats as "Gamey".

Most people like mild flavors and are used to the "factory farm" flavors they get at the grocery store. Meats with an unusual or strong flavor are not going to taste "right" to them.

Most people like mild flavors and are used to the "factory farm" flavors they get at the grocery store. Meats with an unusual or strong flavor are not going to taste "right" to them.

Thats true, sadly. Nothing tastes better than farm grown. I grew up in a farm and have friends who kill their own meat so i get offered the meats they get and oh boy, the taste is just fantastic. Meat is supposed to be strong, you want flavor. Natural flavor over seasonings.

Thats true, sadly. Nothing tastes better than farm grown. I grew up in a farm and have friends who kill their own meat so i get offered the meats they get and oh boy, the taste is just fantastic. Meat is supposed to be strong, you want flavor. Natural flavor over seasonings.

I love wild game flavor. Elk and Bison are my favioret. A co-worker brought in some bison jerkey and it was amazing. Elk is probably one of my most favioret meats.

I got everything cut and ground. I ended up not being to picky about the butchering of the ground meat and it tastes just fine. Have been enjoying it in different meals the last few days.

I had a gf that tasted kinda gamey. does that count? seriously, though. Grew up hunting and eating what we killed. As mentioned, there are tons of reasons why meat might be gamey. For venison, I actually like the spike/forken horn type meat to say some older trophy buck. Age of the animal does make a noticeable diff. At least when we had an opportunity to taste test/compare one year. When I hunted I was in it more for the meat than hanging some huge rack in my room.

I also hunt more for the meat then horns/trophy. One reason is that I don't have room to hang mounts. The other reason is that I go more for the enjoyment of being out in the woods and then enjoying the meat of animal I take. Cooked some more up last night. Will be tough to go back to store bought meat once I'm through all of my venison.

The buck I took really hasn't tasted "gamey" at all. I use the word in more of a negative context like you'd describe a cut of fish as "fishy". It's been very good in flavor thus far. The buck was younger though so I'm sure that's helped.

I had a gf that tasted kinda gamey. does that count?

^Best Post in Da Leag^

I also hunt more for the meat then horns/trophy. One reason is that I don't have room to hang mounts. The other reason is that I go more for the enjoyment of being out in the woods and then enjoying the meat of animal I take. Cooked some more up last night. Will be tough to go back to store bought meat once I'm through all of my venison.

The buck I took really hasn't tasted "gamey" at all. I use the word in more of a negative context like you'd describe a cut of fish as "fishy". It's been very good in flavor thus far. The buck was younger though so I'm sure that's helped.

I never got the whole Trophy hunting. "Whats that on your wall you hunted?" 'Elk...' "A DANGEROUS ANIMAL"

Younger is more tender less heavy in most flavors with those too right? How is the flavor? Softer? or stronger?

btw your picture looks so familiar

Color me converted since my original post almost a year ago.

My brother in law got 2 young white tail females. Took them to local butcher. Ribs, stew meat, ground meat, and made a few dozen chorizo,

Italian, and brut sausages.

De-fucking-lockout!

So far I've done venison stew, quesadillas, shepherds pie, made a roast with the small area, smoked ribs.

The other night I had super market ground beef, disgusting!!