Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

Quite a few of you guys mention that you didnt wear a mouthgard before switching to a visor. Do you find that a worthwhile trade off? Better vision for the "disadvantage" of dealing with a mouthgard?

I wear a concept 2 fishbowl, but I have the bars cut out in front of my mouth (for better puck vision and reaching in with my hands to wipe my face). I am hoping that keeps the sticks out of my face, but theres always the chance that I will catch a puck in the teeth.

I feel pretty confident playing without a mouthgard seeing as how I have protection everywhere except that couple of inches right in front of my chiclets. Then again, I've always been a certifiable optomist. Alot of the pucks that hit guys in the mouth are deflections off of sticks near their feet so having a "jaw guard" should keep them out of my mouth.....or not...

Quite a few of you guys mention that you didnt wear a mouthgard before switching to a visor. Do you find that a worthwhile trade off? Better vision for the "disadvantage" of dealing with a mouthgard?

I wear a concept 2 fishbowl, but I have the bars cut out in front of my mouth (for better puck vision and reaching in with my hands to wipe my face). I am hoping that keeps the sticks out of my face, but theres always the chance that I will catch a puck in the teeth.

I feel pretty confident playing without a mouthgard seeing as how I have protection everywhere except that couple of inches right in front of my chiclets. Then again, I've always been a certifiable optomist. Alot of the pucks that hit guys in the mouth are deflections off of sticks near their feet so having a "jaw guard" should keep them out of my mouth.....or not...

There is no real rhyme or reason on where you're going to get hit in the mouth from. A "jaw guard" may help against upward deflections, but won't help for anything coming in like a swinging stick or something mouth level. I've always gone with the mantra that if you do not have 100% face protection....wear a mouth guard. When my teammate got his teeth knocked out it was from an errant stick as the guy was skating by. The play had just left him (D-man) and the guys stick caught him in the mouth as he was skating by. Would it still have hurt with a mouthguard? Yes, but he wouldn't have lost his front teeth. It's random things like this that I wear a mouth guard for. A mouth guard will never replace a full face shield, but it's much better then not wearing anything at all.

There is no real rhyme or reason on where you're going to get hit in the mouth from. A "jaw guard" may help against upward deflections, but won't help for anything coming in like a swinging stick or something mouth level.

My theory is that alot of swinging sticks that would have hit my face will get stopped, or at least limited in impact force, by the sides of the mask. I've only tested it on myself yet and dont plan on intentionally having someone else test it :rolleyes:

I agree with you that random crap happens you never know what exactly. I went without any shield at all the other day for a 2 on 2 session and boy did my face feel exposed...

I believe I have literally tried every "Boil & Bite" on the market. (Shock Doctor, MoGo, Bargain Basement Cheapies... you name it.) They all went into the trash after the first use or two.

Protech Dent all the way!

I bought two TapouT mouthguards last May for $5 figuring that the pair should last me for the season. I'm still on the first one and it's not showing any signs of wear and tear. There isn't a way of testing its protection, but I haven't lost any teeth yet, but I wear a cage.

Thanks for the reminder 66, I need to order another protech dent.

I seriously cannot say enough good things about this mouthguard. My parents never had the money to get my teeth/over-bite fixed. It's only now as an adult that I'm getting to the point where I can afford the amount of work to be done. Because of this, normal boil & bites just don't fit. They either make me gag or won't sit properly on my molars. This mouth guard totally fixed that. I love it.

Thanks for the reminder 66, I need to order another protech dent.

as a heads up to everyone who is a protech fan, they are changing the name of it and the site to SISU guard http://www.sisuguard.com/. You will be able to order directly from them in now 2 different models, the base original model, and a beefed up version. Still made in USA and maybe a few more color combos now.

I seriously cannot say enough good things about this mouthguard. My parents never had the money to get my teeth/over-bite fixed. It's only now as an adult that I'm getting to the point where I can afford the amount of work to be done. Because of this, normal boil & bites just don't fit. They either make me gag or won't sit properly on my molars. This mouth guard totally fixed that. I love it.

agreed. still love mine, few minor fit adjustments now and again for me as i have a tooth thats slightly sideways in the back, but they are awesome.

I had on order the Protech Dent.. Which finally arrived yesterday.. got it fitted last nite and all i can say is wow. i have never thought that a mouthgaurd would be so good..

I was using boil and bites and got to the point that for drop in i wouldnt use it, and at games i would have it on bench and not want to wear it when i was half way in the game because i couldnt get enough oxygen through it and into me...

Also it should be noted.. my teeth are.. well lets say far from perfect, so ive never felt what a mouthgaurd is like when you HAVE to use your fingers to remove it... until now that is.. the dent just doesnt move.

Protech Dent has changed names now. They're called Sisu Guard. And now they have a thicker version also. Just got mine in.

really intrigued by this sisu guard from all of the good reviews in this thread. one of my front teeth is crooked on about a 30 degree angle is that going to be a problem?

using an under armour armourbite right now and i find this way too big/bulky for me and hard to breathe. anyone able to compare the 2?

really intrigued by this sisu guard from all of the good reviews in this thread. one of my front teeth is crooked on about a 30 degree angle is that going to be a problem?

using an under armour armourbite right now and i find this way too big/bulky for me and hard to breathe. anyone able to compare the 2?

Should be no problem. It comes in the package as a single flat piece. You boil it and literally fold it up over your teeth.

Can't really compare to your current mouthguard because they aren't even remotely close to being the same material, let alone shape and construction. Whole new ball game.

I dont think it will be a problem. which way is it crooked? forward or to the side. the only issue might be in the way you bite down, there is a line on the sisu guard that your supposed to align to your front teeth when biting and fitting.

My suggestion to you is to email their customer service. http://www.sisuguard.com/Contact-s/1823.htm they have been really quick to get back to me on any questions i have had.

the guard itself is amazing. i still am using my first guard, and its been quite some time now, about a year? any other mouth guard would have been degraded to mush by now with me chewing etc, or just breaking down over time. Its protection has been stellar, taken a few hits and i have had no issues, even with my fixed teeth on the bottom front. drinking and talking are much easier. I cant really say enough about this mouthguard. Just bought another one to replace mine just because of time.

Im sounding like too much of a salesman now. As compared to your other mouthguard, i dont really know, never used it, but ive used similar and was never really completely happy with them. I always had issues with the styles that use different types of materials, wether the materials seperate over time, or just the overall bulk. I used to just live with the bulk because i figured bulkier mouthguards are overall more protective, and ever since my teeth shattering blow, i always wanted max protect.

The SISU is all i need for the beer leagues i am currently in. Wether or not they are sufficient for higher contact leagues, i dont know, i am guessing they will be fine, as they are used successfully in high impact sports. i use the 1.6 for beer leagues, and feel its all i need. I dont think you need to go with the 2.4 if this is your intended use.

i never used to use a mouth guard bc i had a cage, i tried it once then never again. it was a $20+ shock doc and i was chewing through it first game and at times gagging. i also didn't like not being able to talk as i needed to teammates.

i now have a halfie and was toying around with it but was thinking of shock doc again just trimmed waay down. my fear then would be swallowing it if i fall on a hit.

i think though ill look at sisu. for those of you that tried a sisu/prodent and have had a dentist fit you one which is better for you guys? and choking or gagging feeling with the aisu? that was a concern for me as the first guard didn't make it through one game.

I just got hit in the mouth today from back of someones helmet and other than small cut on my lip my teeth are fine. The Signature Mouthguard, Type 4 with pro plus gel model is what I have used the past year and still in great shape. The thing is a bit bigger/thicker than some of the shock doctors but it fits like a glove. The gel is like dental impression material so it makes a really good fit. I don't have any breathing or talking issues given its slightly thicker size. Highly recommended.

i never used to use a mouth guard bc i had a cage, i tried it once then never again. it was a $20+ shock doc and i was chewing through it first game and at times gagging. i also didn't like not being able to talk as i needed to teammates.

i now have a halfie and was toying around with it but was thinking of shock doc again just trimmed waay down. my fear then would be swallowing it if i fall on a hit.

i think though ill look at sisu. for those of you that tried a sisu/prodent and have had a dentist fit you one which is better for you guys? and choking or gagging feeling with the aisu? that was a concern for me as the first guard didn't make it through one game.

no choking or gagging feeling with the Sisu. i basically just place it on my teeth, and forget i have it on.

i think if i cant get the dentist to do one under insurance then ill check out the sisu.

also i see my post was edited bc of spelling. i apologize as im on my phone typing 90% of the time. spelling would be better but the text box is blocked by the on screen keyboard. i would try editing but it doesnt show a cursor either. apologies in advance and thanks for putting up with my "fat fingers on a touchscreen" syndrome.

Yea you don't even notice it's in. If this says anything, I often have the rest of my gear off after a game before I even realize I haven't taken it out yet.

I also wear it with a cage. Not worried about picks and sticks so much as just not biting my tongue off ;) Since I wear the cage I needed something I wouldn't need to take out during the game. I really can't say enough good things.

Im sounding like too much of a salesman now.

i basically just place it on my teeth, and forget i have it on.

that totally sounds like a direct quote from the sisu guard website or what the actor in their commercial would say haha. but you have helped sell me one

that totally sounds like a direct quote from the sisu guard website or what the actor in their commercial would say haha. but you have helped sell me one

well i am in no way affiliated with them, in fact if you go back in this thread, it was other people who sold me on getting one :)