Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

2012-2013 Gear Sightings

I don't know. Look different to me.

Now they look different, from the other view, all I could really go by was the thumb design, which looks a lot alike.

RBZ line of gloves or new CL?

Interesting he taped over the tendon guard.

I actually discussed something with the Easton guys when I saw the skate; I think an interesting concept would be to be able to customize the tendon guard flex by having several stiffnesses and swapping out to your liking; we'll see if it's implemented down the road.

No, 709 Vario-Flex was different; you would insert stiffners into the quarter of the boot.

Think Bauer's 3-flex tongue inserts, but tendon guards. So you'd have a medium, stiff and extra-stiff tendon guard. Screw on the one you want.

http://www.grafcanada.com/hockey_skates/709.php

Look at the skate - where the Supra 709 logo is, that's where the stiffener went in. When you look at the description, they call it extra stiff with flexible ankle - the stiffener was to stiffen the ankle if you wanted it. The tendon guard was fixed and did not change regardless of stiffness.

tumblr_mcikz4tLSC1rhbmvqo8_1280.jpg

This is not a gear sighting, this is a really weird question. Does anyone know what shin pads would resemble Kovy's Vapor (I think) shins? I really like the shape/look of those.

The piece wrapped around the back of the tendon guard, but I just don't see how that part would flex; it was more of a cuff than anything and where all of the stress was. I don't believe tendon guard flexibility was mentioned as a feature.

That’s a picture of a newer model, I remember seeing separate pictures of the stiffeners, and based on shape and the fact that each one had different stiffness it’s only logical that it would increase stiffness of the tendon guard. We’re arguing about the same principle only different design approach.

These are the original varioflex

http://rollerdiffusion.free.fr/magasin/photos/graf%20supra%20709.jpg

Indeed it was never really mentioned as a feature, and the insert wasn't going all the way up the tendon guard.

If I remember correctly the upper (visible once inserted) part of 2 inserts (B and C) was the same, only the part that was going laterally in the pocket were of different hardness.

BUT you could also skate without any insert (flex A) and in this case the tendon guard would definitely be softer.

Better seen on that.

2163_large.jpg

yea they've been using it since the off season. technically still off season i know. august. w/e.

Ya the UBC Charity game hosted by Bieksa, saw the RS twigs used by the Sedins. Saw the video before you posted the link haha but thanks for posting it.

Not a gear thing but what is it with the #32. First Ovie now Semin?

And before you guys say anything I know Dumb Question lol

I believe they both played with that number in Russia before NHL. I'm not 100% sure about Semin, but I know Ovi did.

You're missing a major point here; the back doesn't flex in either direction. If it did...it would fall out of the skate. Take an envelope and bend it slightly so that both sides are parallel to each other. Now move it at the apex of the curve - what happens? The two sides move with it. And since arches are stronger and aren't designed to flex at all...it would simply fall out of the skate. Not to mention, the tendon guard comes up halfway to the eyelet on the top of the boot, one can certainly deduce that it wasn't made with flexibility in mind. Yet on the new MCI 9035, it has tapers where tendon guard meets boot.

If we go by your thinking, these are your options -

Option A - no insert whatsoever; standard stiffness, standard tendon guard that is able to flex

Option B - Stiffness 1, stiff tendon guard as the plastic will impede flex at the point when tendon guard meets plastic

Option C - Stiffness 2, stiff tendon guard as the plastic will impede flex at the point when tendon guard meets plastic

But, I most likely won't change your thinking, and this is a gear sightings thread, so, let's just agree to disagree and move on.