Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

my son first tested these out at a stick and puck session. things seemed to go okay, but he then wanted to use them in an euro skills clinic for 2hrs instead of his older easton skates. the kid was falling all over the place trying to keep up. i hope this doesn't continue

Any of u guys go from reebok to mako? how did the fit translate? ie what size were you in reebok and what size did you end up in in Mako?

I did, but I was skating in Reeboks that were too big for me, so I'm not especially helpful there.

I tried the Mako II's on this weekend. Coming from Vapor XXV's. The fit was really great, just a touch of pain in my midfoot, but that would likely go away with a bake, and maybe a punch if needed. Probably going to wait to see if the durability issues get fixed this with generation of Mako before I go buying them.

my son first tested these out at a stick and puck session. things seemed to go okay, but he then wanted to use them in an euro skills clinic for 2hrs instead of his older easton skates. the kid was falling all over the place trying to keep up. i hope this doesn't continue

He probably hasn't adjusted to the pitch of the skates yet. Take him to another stick and puck session and work on edges and start and stops. Should take care of that.

I tried the Mako II's on this weekend. Coming from Vapor XXV's. The fit was really great, just a touch of pain in my midfoot, but that would likely go away with a bake, and maybe a punch if needed. Probably going to wait to see if the durability issues get fixed this with generation of Mako before I go buying them.

Wait, you tried them on without baking them? That seems a bit pointless. You HAVE to bake Makos to have any idea what they will fit like. Hell, I couldn't even get my foot in the boot before I baked them.

Well, my foot fit and I knew I wasn't going to buy them on the spot. I assume the fit wouldn't get worse with a baking.. So...

I wasn't happy with the results I got by measuring pictures of holders off of HockeyMonkey.com (There were unexplainable discrepancies probably due to distortions of images in post and/or my ability to "eyeball" the blade balance point in the picture). I had several pairs of skates passing through my garage this weekend so I killed some time by measuring the angles on each of the skates holders. The methodology was to stand the skate upright at it's natural balance point on the blade and take measurements with a digital caliper at the front of the front tower and the rear of the rear tower. In order to reduce measurement error, I did this five times, then rotated the skate and repeated the measurements. Then I repeated the entire process for the other skate and took the average values. I then took the InvTan( (RearHeight - FrontHeight) / HolderLength) ). If you choose to look at this table, please read the notes to understand the conditions of the skates measured. For example, the value for the Mako is AFTER my Mako's had approximately 0.5/32 pitch removed from them on the Blackstone shaper system (I think probably around 0.2 degrees). I realize that this doesn't take into consideration any additional pitch added by the boot itself or the insole. I wish I could have done it with new skates out of the box, but unfortunately I don't have any good enough friends at hockey stores that would let me borrow several thousand dollars in skates for a weekend.

PLEASE NOTE: DEGREES ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS +1,+2,+3 ON CONTOURING SYSTEMS.

http://i.imgur.com/JLKkrgC.png (EDIT: Changed to imgur for better image presentation)

Edited by AfftonDad
  • Like 1

Well, my foot fit and I knew I wasn't going to buy them on the spot. I assume the fit wouldn't get worse with a baking.. So...

Actually, since they will likely open up a fair bit after baking, the fit very likely will get worse. For example, in the store, the Bauer Brannock indicated I should be in a 7.5. So, I tried those, but they felt sloppy. Then I tried the 7. Before baking they were ok. After baking they were better, but I still felt like I could go smaller, so, I told the guy that I wanted to try a 6.5 with baking. He said ok. I could not get my foot in the boot at all before baking, no way, no how. After baking..... like a glove. If I had gotten the 7, they probably would have fit "ok", but not as good as the 6.5 and so, wouldn't perform as well. I will reiterate what Optimus said, you MUST bake before trying on. You could be sorely disappointed.

Heck, you might not be that disappointed, but you also may not know what you're missing.

I made this mistake too with Mako I. I couldn't get into 10.0 EE, without baking, so I went 10.5 EE. Now, after having baked and stretched the boot, it is a bit long. Still fits good enough, it is comfortable and I can literally skate all day absent discomfort, and I can generate nice speed in straightaways, but agility is compromised and I feel goofy when cornering/ turning/ being dynamic.

I only realized this because I wore 10.0 Mako 2s at a demo, and the difference in my agility is epic. Couldn't tell if top speed is same, faster or slower, but I felt like I would go about the same if I opened it up.

VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the Reebok E-Pro being more forward than the LS2. Would love to see where the CCM SB fits in.

Anecdotal evidence (UW Badger EQM) has the SpeedBlade holder at the same pitch as the LS 2.

Thanks, AfftonDad. This is very interesting stuff.

Well Cosmic, the thing was, I could fit my foot into the 9D, and my toes were in perfect position. I don't think I'd want an 8.5 as I don't really see how baking would make the boot any longer....

I appreciate the idea though, and I understand to get a true fit, I need to bake. In all honestly, I wasn't ready to spend $800 for an entirely different skate than I currently have, especially because I am pretty happy with my Vapor XXVs. I want to see more long term reviews of the Mako IIs before I actually consider spending that kind of money.

It sounds crazy, but while the boot itself doesn't get any longer, the heel fit changes so much on a bake it will put your foot further back in the boot. I went down a half size in demo makos and probably could have gone down another half.

Interesting. Good to know, will def get them baked if I plan to buy them before I actually buy it. I'd love to be able to fit into 8.5's over a 9.

It sounds crazy, but while the boot itself doesn't get any longer, the heel fit changes so much on a bake it will put your foot further back in the boot.

Exactly correct, the heel will generally open up if you need it and allow your foot to slide back. It's extremely important to see if there is room behind the heel. a #2 pencil or cheap Bic pen is a great indicator.

Exactly correct, the heel will generally open up if you need it and allow your foot to slide back. It's extremely important to see if there is room behind the heel. a #2 pencil or cheap Bic pen is a great indicator.

It was a good thing in my case. During baking, the skate was perfect but once I got them home (and the first 5-6 skates) they were slightly too small. A bit painful to the tips of my toes (especially since the tongue ends right at the tip of the toe box right where my toes were rubbing). But now that they've broken in a bit they are PERFECT.

It was a good thing in my case. During baking, the skate was perfect but once I got them home (and the first 5-6 skates) they were slightly too small. A bit painful to the tips of my toes (especially since the tongue ends right at the tip of the toe box right where my toes were rubbing). But now that they've broken in a bit they are PERFECT.

So, does that mean you're not getting VH, or do you still need to throw your money at something ? ;)

So, does that mean you're not getting VH, or do you still need to throw your money at something ? ;)

I still want to try them, but I just spent a fortune on our home gym so it may be a while :)

I've been skating on my Mako 2s now for almost 2 weeks. I can say that it is a nice improvement over the originals. The color makes them automatically better lol. Also, it is definitely stiffer than the original makos. It's not that much stiffer but it's a nice upgrade. I also like the liner inside. Plus, the no mako bumps are huge for me.

I got my steel profiled at a 13ft radius recently but i think a 9ft radius would serve me better. Not sure yet though.

My buddy got the same pair as me (going on my recommendation) but now the poor bastard got relocated to south america. Anyone interested in this skate in 8D check out the sell section! i put it up for sale.

Edited by DigiV

I was just wondering if anyone can comment on whether the M8's are supposed to have the same amount of thermoformability (is that a word?) as the Mako/Mako II's? The reason I ask is because when I tried them on the other day, they didn't seem all that supple, as everyone here has been commenting on, after the bake. Wondering if it was because the sales rep didn't put them in long enough or if they just aren't as moldable as the top tier skate. Thoughts?

I was just wondering if anyone can comment on whether the M8's are supposed to have the same amount of thermoformability (is that a word?) as the Mako/Mako II's? The reason I ask is because when I tried them on the other day, they didn't seem all that supple, as everyone here has been commenting on, after the bake. Wondering if it was because the sales rep didn't put them in long enough or if they just aren't as moldable as the top tier skate. Thoughts?

yes, exactly the same. M8's have more foberglass, less carbon, that's the main difference. The thermoformable material is the same. How long were your skates put in the oven at what temp? All the M8's I've done are very pliable out of the over, Just like the makos

• Like 1

yes, exactly the same. M8's have more foberglass, less carbon, that's the main difference. The thermoformable material is the same. How long were your skates put in the oven at what temp? All the M8's I've done are very pliable out of the over, Just like the makos

not sure how long they were in for as i was chatting with the rep and trying on a pair of graf's too at the time. i wanna guess under 10 min or so though. they certainly weren't any more pliable than any other skate i've had heat molded before which is why i was suspecting they weren't in for long enough. as far as temperature, i really have no idea.

that's the main reason i didn't pick them up on the spot because even though they felt pretty good even being inadequately heated, i was thining they should've been more pliable. that's the reason i came in here looking for advice before i went back.

think i read these should be done 1 skate at a time for 15 min at a temp of 200F?

thanks for the help!

Hey jimmy, what are the cons to higher levels of fiberglass as opposed to carbon? Is it as simple as a weight factor? I sent my Makos in for warrenty work and the LHS indicated they're probably just going to be replaced by Easton. I'm a little concerned Easton would replace the originals with M8s since I keep hearing they're nearly the same skate.

Edited by SalisburyStreets

10 mins at 200 degrees, any less is probably not enough.

Salisbury, pretty much weight is it, fiberglass vs carbon in the Mako. MakoII has more density in the tounge and footbed than the M8.