Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'll get some side by side pictures when I get my old pair back from the LHS, but initial things I noticed were:

1. They molded much much better (could've just been a bad bake job on my first pair).

The hot spots I had to hit with a heat gun on my first pair weren't a problem at all on the new ones.

2. They're cut a little higher, maybe 1/4" tops. But the high ankle padding that causes everyone mako bumps is a little higher on the new pair than on the old pair.

3. There's a gasket between the holder and the boot on the rear tower on the new pair, which wasn't there on my old pair.

4. The inside face of the steel is screen printed with "+3SB"

The new pair also seems to be a little stiffer and the tongue seems to have a little more padding but that could just be from wear and tear on the old ones.

I'll try and get some pictures up in the next few days.

UPDATE:

Here's a picture of my old pair of Mako 1's and a picture of the new pair:

19e2dd55dc8ca38cb863a93e922fa461.jpg22b0d52255f7b6ee3ea5ee9ae6a30e00.jpg

I just realized there's also more material on the quarter around the eyelets and the side orange stripes are different on the new ones...

Anybody else have a newer pair of Mako 1's that look like the 2nd photo?

huh, that's actually... a lot more different than I was expecting. Mine definitely look like the top pair.

I wonder if the bottom was a revision after all the issues people had with the mako bumps.

huh, that's actually... a lot more different than I was expecting. Mine definitely look like the top pair.

I wonder if the bottom was a revision after all the issues people had with the mako bumps.

That's what I was thinking too.

I bought them from a guy who got them from a rep, but sold them because he didn't want to "break them in" (jokes on him right?)

They feel wayyy better than my first pair for whatever reason...

#mysterymakos

Since you mentioned you got them indirectly from a rep, I'd guess they are customs with a heel lift and increased size on the quarters to provide bit more volume.

Since you mentioned you got them indirectly from a rep, I'd guess they are customs with a heel lift and increased size on the quarters to provide bit more volume.

They do feel that way.

It's gonna be a major bummer when I have to upgrade to the mako 2's!

my pee wee son has been skating on the makos since july.

what i recently noticed is that he seems to be stumbling more the past few games. at first it was due to ice conditions and the edge on the blade, but now i'm not sure that it was the only problem. i had them do almost a 3/8 hollow and it still happened.

is it possible that the boots are breaking down? or maybe not being in an aggressive enough skating position?,..he hunches too much being a taller pee wee...when he gets low and bends his knees he's one of the quickest on his team. but he doesn't always do this. also..he's a size 7.5 pushing 8 sneaker and he's still wears a 5EE skate..i'm waiting for the day he says, it doesn't fit or it creates a problem for him..and it hasn't happened yet. maybe it's because the skates aren't tied tight enough?..

i don't know what the root of the problem is, but it has happened more as he tried to increase his quickness and speed...getting feedback from him is still hard to do as to "why" things are going down like they are.

also,...

almost 15 games into the season and i haven;t seen any other kids wearing makos.

Edited by ulf

I've had both the Mako I and Mako II, I find myself more stable when I skate low with knees more bent..

Due to work I didn't skate for 2 month, then when I got on the ice again I stumbled twice in 5min as I totally lost the forward stance feeling that you need with the Mako. After 10min later you'll be fine as you get use to it and what body position you need to get the most out of these skates..

Great skates and definitely no other skate can match its comfort, but quality was a problem I encountered with both Mako I and II so I'm back to Totalone MX3 now..

• Like 1

my pee wee son has been skating on the makos since july.

what i recently noticed is that he seems to be stumbling more the past few games. at first it was due to ice conditions and the edge on the blade, but now i'm not sure that it was the only problem. i had them do almost a 3/8 hollow and it still happened.

is it possible that the boots are breaking down? or maybe not being in an aggressive enough skating position?,..he hunches too much being a taller pee wee...when he gets low and bends his knees he's one of the quickest on his team. but he doesn't always do this. also..he's a size 7.5 pushing 8 sneaker and he's still wears a 5EE skate..i'm waiting for the day he says, it doesn't fit or it creates a problem for him..and it hasn't happened yet. maybe it's because the skates aren't tied tight enough?..

i don't know what the root of the problem is, but it has happened more as he tried to increase his quickness and speed...getting feedback from him is still hard to do as to "why" things are going down like they are.

also,...

almost 15 games into the season and i haven;t seen any other kids wearing makos.

When you say "stumbling", is it falling forward/backward?

How many tiimes have they been sharpened? My son (Squirt) has heel lifts in his vapors to pitch him forward. Recently, he's been falling down more, but I wasn't sure if it was by design (diving to make plays) or the skates. I took a look at the blades though and it was clear, the original 9 ft radius was probably more like a 5 or 6 ft after the 30-40 + sharpenings. I took them to TH and had my guy put a 13 ft radius back on them and voila.... stable as a clam (not sure if that's a saying...).

What made me think of it was when I was on my Mako Is and they had been sharpened a bunch of times, I started falling too much. New steel... fixed.

Anyway, if yours is on junior steel, and they get sharpened regularly, I'd bet the heel and toe are probably shaved and the radius is shorter than when he started.

Just a thought because it's a familiar story.

I've had both the Mako I and Mako II, I find myself more stable when I skate low with knees more bent..

Due to work I didn't skate for 2 month, then when I got on the ice again I stumbled twice in 5min as I totally lost the forward stance feeling that you need with the Mako. After 10min later you'll be fine as you get use to it and what body position you need to get the most out of these skates..

Great skates and definitely no other skate can match its comfort, but quality was a problem I encountered with both Mako I and II so I'm back to Totalone MX3 now..

With such forward pitch, you have to skate with plenty of knee bend, otherwise, you're weight will get too much out over your toes and you'll be toe picking or stumbling when trying to get speed going.

Has anyone got good results doing the heat spot and pushing the boot in at the ankles in for additional heel lock?

Ironically, just got back from my first skate after doing this last night. Yes, it gave additional heel lock. I did it a bit lower than the ankles though.

No idea with regards to the footbed, but the tools for the two bolts in the holders are just a regular square-head screwdriver slot.

Does anyone know where you can buy additional Mako 2 foot beds and also the tool that came along for taking the runners out of the holders?

Pretty sure I saw the tool for sale somewhere - which came with new bolts for the holder. Ive heard they will sell the footbeds eventually (and extendon guard), but havent seen any yet.

I have an extra set if youre interested (tool). I also have footbeds for a size 7.5D mako if you wanna buy them. I like my vapor footbeds better.

Ironically, just got back from my first skate after doing this last night. Yes, it gave additional heel lock. I did it a bit lower than the ankles though.

Did you use a heat gun? Also how long did you pinch and hold for?

Did you use a heat gun? Also how long did you pinch and hold for?

Yes, a heat gun. Really only held for a couple of minutes. I didn't need too much and didn't want to overdo it. I've spot heated other parts of the boot the same way, used a heat gun like in the MLX videos and only held for a couple minutes.

I've been skating in these for 2 months now, and couple of issues nothing too major.

1. My left pinky toe has a bump on the outside of it. Had the skate punched out in that area and this slightly alleviated it. The main reason for the bump is that toe was a bit stubbier than my other pinky to to begin with, and with such a tight fit of the mako's it irritated it a bit. Nothing i can't skate through though.

2. This one came out of nowhere a few days ago - the ankle bone on the inside of my left foot feels like a piece of steel or something hard is pressing on it when i do crossovers to the left. Maybe the padding there needs to be more substantial. I tried lacing less snug at the top two eyelets and that didn't do it. By the way, I like the laces loose until it starts the bend, then I crank those to keep my heel locked and then also tie pretty tight the remaining 3 eyelets. With such a low cut skate I feel like I need that support, it just feels so much better maneuvering with them tight at the top as opposed to looser.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this pressing in the ankle area and if a piece of foam or rubber or something glued onto the inside of the boot in that area may alleviate the pain, or even a gel pad stuck over my ankle bone. Or whatever.

When you say "stumbling", is it falling forward/backward?

How many tiimes have they been sharpened? My son (Squirt) has heel lifts in his vapors to pitch him forward. Recently, he's been falling down more, but I wasn't sure if it was by design (diving to make plays) or the skates. I took a look at the blades though and it was clear, the original 9 ft radius was probably more like a 5 or 6 ft after the 30-40 + sharpenings. I took them to TH and had my guy put a 13 ft radius back on them and voila.... stable as a clam (not sure if that's a saying...).

What made me think of it was when I was on my Mako Is and they had been sharpened a bunch of times, I started falling too much. New steel... fixed.

Anyway, if yours is on junior steel, and they get sharpened regularly, I'd bet the heel and toe are probably shaved and the radius is shorter than when he started.

Just a thought because it's a familiar story.

thank you. i never thought of this. and it could very well be the problem. they've been sharpened quite a bit since july, and it only recently started happening. he also had a couple of bad sharpening's during that time and they had to be re-done. i'd say we have 20+ on them and i noticed that they're pretty mucked up . i've also noticed that just recently they can't seem to hold an edge either.