Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I don't know. I've had them in and out on several different sets of holders including these several times (I frequently "rotate" mine and my son's runners left to right). And in fact one of the two skates I could get off without any problem. It looks like the tool might have gotten a little rounded off. The guy at Total Hockey gave me two that he had off of a warranty pair AND he gave me the tools with that pair as well. So I'm back in business. I put them back on without locktite this time though.

The nice thing about loctite is that you don't have to worry about them coming too lose and you don't have to really crank them tight. I probably have half a dozen Mission and Easton Robertson #2 screwdrivers. Worst case, they're only $5 or so for decent brand name ones.

• Like 1

I have the original makos, the fastest skate I've ever been on and its not close. HOWEVER does anyone have an issue of their Achilles throbbing due to constant pressure?

Its absolute murder and now have developed a calcium build up just on the inside part of my Achilles, like a bump and leaves me in tears during/after skating about 10 min.

Had my skates now for a year.

I referee so I'm on the ice 4 to 10 times a week.

I have the original makos, the fastest skate I've ever been on and its not close. HOWEVER does anyone have an issue of their Achilles throbbing due to constant pressure?

Its absolute murder and now have developed a calcium build up just on the inside part of my Achilles, like a bump and leaves me in tears during/after skating about 10 min.

I saw a video about heating the heel area, then pinching them to form around that area. Maybe you could do the opposite, heat throughout pain spot with a heat gun and push it out a bit wiry thumbs?

Else just a full bake, widening that spot a little before putting on?

I've never tried a pair of Makos but I have followed this thread since its inception, and it sounds like you may be experiencing classic Mako bumps. It's an issue a lot of people had with the first generation Makos chafing their ankles along the boots' edges. It sounds like you're experiencing the same, only maybe more on the back of your leg than on the side where others typically seemed to be affected. In any case, a lot of people found some sort of padded wrapping to protect and rehabilitate irritated areas and protect against future irritations. If that sounds similar to what you're experiencing, I'm sure you can find some specific products recommended for addressing the discomfort.

Also, you may want to avoid baking the boots again or over doing the spot reheats on the upper part of the boot, as the glue tended to run out of the padding around the top on the original model, which made the mako bumps even worse. Both the Mako bump area and the shell's shearing or shredding were addressed in the development of the Mako II.

Hope that might help.

Mako 1 or M7? Any thoughts?

I think the biggest differences will be weight, and the tongue (Mako 1, 2 and M8 have a thicker tongue with beefier metatarsal guard). Other than that, the Mako 1 could have some issues they apparently fixed with the second generation line like durability of the outsole and some rubbing points in the ankle. You can also use Easton's 30 Day Guarantee on the M7 and newer models. Also, one has a lot of bright orange where the other is just white if that matters to you.

Edited by sectachrome

You can also use Easton's 30 Day Guarantee on the M7 and newer models. Also, one has a lot of bright orange where the other is just white if that matters to you.

Is Easton still honoring the fit guarantee? When I purchased at Hockey Giant a few weeks ago they said no.

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

Is Easton still honoring the fit guarantee? When I purchased at Hockey Giant a few weeks ago they said no.

They're still advertising it on sites that sell the skate, so I would assume so. Could be an online only thing. It was definitely a factor in my purchasing decision, as I would normally avoid buying skates online.

Does anyone use superfeet yellows in their skates? I threw some in to lift my arch off a rub spot which basically worked but...

Between the aggressive pitch of the skate and heel lift of yellows, I am a little wobbly out there. This something I will get used to?

I finally skated in them for the first time last night. First of all cutting the side felt off the tongues was a great idea. Thanks to this thread for that little tip. Second there was some pain here and there but I think that was just getting used to the skates, the pain pretty much subsided by the end of the session. Overall I am beyond happy I took this chance haha.

Hergs I also am a ref and in the market for a pair of makos. How are the original skates holding up with reffing. With all the durability issues I've been reading in here.

Ya man I don't see problems with outsole. Skated 200 games on them last and about 60 this year.

Zero issues other than that achillies area.

I found a pair of max domi pro stock. The area of the tendon guard is setup differently on the mako 2s.

249 on hockeysupremacy.com for the mako 1

Edited by hergs

Used my M8's in a game for the first time last night. Still really digging them. I feel a lot more "connected", and solid in these. When I really want to take off, I feel like these skates encourage me. In my Supremes, I always felt like I was fighting the skate, trying to get my weight forward enough and get enough flex out of them. My arches that bothered me a little during the first skate weren't an issue. I got a little bit of rubbing on the outside of my one ankle, but Ive had the same thing before with new skates and it went away. I also didn't feel like I had to retighten my laces halfway through the game like I did before to retain a snug fit, though I might switch to some shorter waxed laces. I feel like I might have a little too much volume in my left forefoot, the right skate fits like a glove. I was thinking of maybe sticking one of those Elite gel lace bite pads on the tongue there to reduce the empty space? They're velcro so it wouldn't be permanent.

Used my M8's in a game for the first time last night. Still really digging them. I feel a lot more "connected", and solid in these. When I really want to take off, I feel like these skates encourage me. In my Supremes, I always felt like I was fighting the skate, trying to get my weight forward enough and get enough flex out of them. My arches that bothered me a little during the first skate weren't an issue. I got a little bit of rubbing on the outside of my one ankle, but Ive had the same thing before with new skates and it went away. I also didn't feel like I had to retighten my laces halfway through the game like I did before to retain a snug fit, though I might switch to some shorter waxed laces. I feel like I might have a little too much volume in my left forefoot, the right skate fits like a glove. I was thinking of maybe sticking one of those Elite gel lace bite pads on the tongue there to reduce the empty space? They're velcro so it wouldn't be permanent.

I just went through a bunch of this, maybe its helpful (although I might have already told you this) ---

-The steep arches can be mostly fixed with Superfeet Yellows. Most skates accomplish arch support via the insole, these skates have a formed/solid arch, so it takes something like the yellows, which lifted my foot off the arch a bit to provide relief. Needed to rebake after adding yellows

-I had rub on the inside of my foot, enough to draw blood after a 10 minute skate. A $15 heat gun from Northern Tool and a few minutes fixed that. Just heat a little a push it out with thumbs or back of screwdriver

-Waxed laces feel just as amazing in these skates as your old. I just put mine in and they are better than ever

-If the volume is in a place that looks heat mold-able, the matrix/grid looking rubber, use the heat gun on that area and shape that section to foot better

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

I just went through a bunch of this, maybe its helpful (although I might have already told you this) ---

-The steep arches can be mostly fixed with Superfeet Yellows. Most skates accomplish arch support via the insole, these skates have a formed/solid arch, so it takes something like the yellows, which lifted my foot off the arch a bit to provide relief

-I had rub on the inside of my foot, enough to draw blood after a 10 minute skate. A $15 heat gun from Northern Tool and a few minutes fixed that. Just heat a little a push it out with thumbs or back of screwdriver.

-Waxed laces feel just as amazing in these skates as your old. I just put mine in and they are better than ever

-If the volume is in a place that looks heat mold-able, the matrix/grid looking rubber, use the heat gun on that area and shape that section to foot better

Yeah the arches didn't really bother me this time. I'd like to keep with the stock insoles if possible as I think having less between your foot and the holder is one of the features of the design.

I'll probably skate one more time and if the rubbing is still a bad issue, Ill try bending it out with some heat.

Definitely swapping the laces, even if just for the shorter length. Who needs laces this freakin long? I guess it helps with being able to loosen them up all the way without unlacing half the skate.

The forefoot volume thing is more on top of my foot where the tongue is, not the side. I did spot heat it once and it helped the width a bit but not the space on top. It's not terrible, just noticeable because the right skate fits so perfect.

What kind of luck did you guys have with the heal opening up? I wear a 9 in Bauer vapor x100's, when I recently went to try these on the LHS only had the m8 in 9 and 9.5, the 9.5 felt a little bigger then I wanted. Fast forward to today I received my mako 2s in a size 9 and I could barely get my feet in, going to get them baked hopefully Thursday but afraid they might be too small.

What kind of luck did you guys have with the heal opening up? I wear a 9 in Bauer vapor x100's, when I recently went to try these on the LHS only had the m8 in 9 and 9.5, the 9.5 felt a little bigger then I wanted. Fast forward to today I received my mako 2s in a size 9 and I could barely get my feet in, going to get them baked hopefully Thursday but afraid they might be too small.

The idea behind thermoplastic-shell skates like the Makos or VH is you shouldn't really be able to get your foot in before baking. If you can get your foot in them at all before baking, it could actually be that they're too big, which you'll know for sure once they're baked.

You tried to put them on before baking? I definitely couldn't get my feet in mine before baking, nor is there any reason to since the skates are specifically designed to be baked.

You tried to put them on before baking? I definitely couldn't get my feet in mine before baking, nor is there any reason to since the skates are specifically designed to be baked.

I tried this tactic at a Hockey Giant retail shop and they refused bake without buying them. They were convinced these were like all other skates out there and once baked were fit for your foot forever - thus can't be sold to someone else.

mako II skate holder snap..

watching a good vid and i came across it. ff to around 1:05.....but the whole vid is funny

I think someone already posted this, but those have Tuuk holders swapped on.

I tried this tactic at a Hockey Giant retail shop and they refused bake without buying them. They were convinced these were like all other skates out there and once baked were fit for your foot forever - thus can't be sold to someone else.

I'd be leaving then. There's no way to tell if they fit without baking them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a little tricky to get mine on or off even after baking. I have to kind of hold the skate sideways and pull the eyelets apart. You can't really just grab on the tendon guard and shove your foot in like normal. For what it's worth, I got the same size that I had had in Bauers and it was the right choice.