Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

When I read the Mako II boot is soft - what exactly does it mean? I used to hate when my lower end skates creased around mid foot and all support was lost. This kind of soft?

More as in they feel like sneakers. But not in the floppy, crease around the mid-foot kind of way. They're actually quite stiff feeling structurally - and have plenty of support.

W, wait. No replacement for Mako 2!?

Based on the other threads I gather there is a Mako replacement that will have a different name. Based on Buzz's comment I'm guessing that this new replacement may not be ready for the 2016 booking season. If that's the case it may be delayed and not come out in the spring when most other new skates launch perhaps it'll be released later in the year or pushed back into 2017. I have no personal knowledge of this - just reading between the lines and forming my own hypothesis.

From what I read and have heard the next Easton skate is definitely on a bit of delay. Let me start by saying I own mako two and I am a huge fan. the delay I heard is in the design phase. Apparently Easton is continuing to struggle with finding a way to include all there great features without the skates costing so much money or them losing money. Just what I heard.

• Like 1

They have plenty of support, they're just not like ski boots.

It's no wonder you and the other fellas here love them so much. I went and tried on all the top skates, including the Jetspeeds I was sure I'd leave with.

Of the traditional boots I liked the Jetspeed best, but had saved the Makos for last.

When I mentioned wanting to try them to the kid there talked like he didn't want to sell them to me. "oh well those are weird skates. We don't sell alot. Last shipment we got of those was a year ago. If you break your steel it's harder to find at LHS. Not many pros use them. All my friends use Jetspeed." An older guy walked buy and dropped in "yeah but anyone who tries these loves them".

Well anyway, they were more comfortable than the tennis shoes I wore into the store. I didn't realize a skate could feel like this and still perform. Baked once and am now waiting for a skate.

-Jim.

Edited by JimmyTheDriver
  • Like 1

I think if Easton offered the Mako with the RB2 holder then there might be more folks in them. A lot of players don't want to switch to such an aggressive pitch.

That would also defeat entirely the purpose of the skate.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't say a change in holder would defeat the _entire_ purpose, as for the overall pitch there is still a forward pitch in the boot construction itself. Plus, the range-of-motion and the mold-ability of the entire boot would remain unchanged by that. So 2.5 / 3 main selling points are still there ;)

But then again, I'm also not sure the RB2 / LS2 / SB4 / whatever holder on those skates would convince the majority of buyers, as the pitch is only felt on the ice and most people don't get/opt to try the skates on the ice before buying them.

Well, I wouldn't say a change in holder would defeat the _entire_ purpose, as for the overall pitch there is still a forward pitch in the boot construction itself. Plus, the range-of-motion and the mold-ability of the entire boot would remain unchanged by that. So 2.5 / 3 main selling points are still there ;)

But then again, I'm also not sure the RB2 / LS2 / SB4 / whatever holder on those skates would convince the majority of buyers, as the pitch is only felt on the ice and most people don't get/opt to try the skates on the ice before buying them.

True, but isn't that why Easton offered the 30-day satisfaction guarantee on the Mako?

Definitely disagree. I had mine profiled to eliminate the pitch. Still the second most comfortable boot I've ever worn. (The Mako actually feels sloppy on my feet now after wearing VH)

True, but isn't that why Easton offered the 30-day satisfaction guarantee on the Mako?

I think that's more because they know if you try them you'll like them. I wonder how many people tried the 30 day thing and returned them. Probably very few I'd guess.

Fit and mobility are completely the forefront of the skate. The pitch scares off a lot of potential converts. If they offered a more traditional pitch then you'd see older beer leaguers buying into them in droves.

• Like 1

Fit and mobility are completely the forefront of the skate. The pitch scares off a lot of potential converts. If they offered a more traditional pitch then you'd see older beer leaguers buying into them in droves.

Maybe they don't want the old(er) beer leaguers in these skates...

It's no wonder you and the other fellas here love them so much. I went and tried on all the top skates, including the Jetspeeds I was sure I'd leave with.

Of the traditional boots I liked the Jetspeed best, but had saved the Makos for last.

When I mentioned wanting to try them to the kid there talked like he didn't want to sell them to me. "oh well those are weird skates. We don't sell alot. Last shipment we got of those was a year ago. If you break your steel it's harder to find at LHS. Not many pros use them. All my friends use Jetspeed." An older guy walked buy and dropped in "yeah but anyone who tries these loves them".

Well anyway, they were more comfortable than the tennis shoes I wore into the store. I didn't realize a skate could feel like this and still perform. Baked once and am now waiting for a skate.

-Jim.

I have a feeling this happens a lot. When I bought new skates last spring, the guy helping me basically recommended only the Supreme line for my foot and when I asked about other skates like Easton's etc. he had the attitude of "if you really want to you can try them on but I don't recommend them." I wish I had tried more before buying. Glad the Mako's worked for you and interested to hear your impressions after taking them for a spin. I applaud Easton for at least trying to move things forward with their Mako line even if not everything was a home run.

Edited by sectachrome

I have a feeling this happens a lot. When I bought new skates last spring, the guy helping me basically recommended only the Supreme line for my foot and when I asked about other skates like Easton's etc. he had the attitude of "if you really want to you can try them on but I don't recommend them." I wish I had tried more before buying. Glad the Mako's worked for you and interested to hear your impressions after taking them for a spin. I applaud Easton for at least trying to move things forward with their Mako line even if not everything was a home run.

No joke all the youngster store employees, independent of each other, were scoffing everything other than Jetspeeds, which must be the new Vapor level cool.

Even at the very end of the transaction, the guy doing the sharpening goes "I've never even sharpened these skates before... We sell these?"

Headed out to pickup tonight to give them a whirl.

• Like 1

-Jim.

Never listen to a kid in a store.