Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

When I read the Mako II boot is soft - what exactly does it mean? I used to hate when my lower end skates creased around mid foot and all support was lost. This kind of soft?

A lot of people squeeze the boot at the top of the ankle and think the fact that the Mako will pinch together means that it isn't supportive or stiff. They're used to Bauer style skates that are extremely stiff. It's a very poor way to try and judge the relative stiffness of a boot. The side panels in the Mako are very stiff and supportive, they are just designed to allow forward movement in the ankle.

Got out for an hour and a half of pickup. I'll detail the experience when I can get in front of a keyboard, but for now, a question.

Felt a hot spot slightly above arch where a small bone protrudes on my foot. Best guess was it's behind the inside support rib that kind of runs up the lower side of the skate. This something my feet will get used to, or that I can fix via heat?

It was pickup with no subs so my first skate on them lasted an hour and a half straight.

X3TCUnam.jpg

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

Don't tie your laces anywhere near as tight as you're used to. There's no reason to when you have such good wrap.

Optimus is rite and just to build on what he said I only tighten up the top three eyelets at most and it feels perfect. It will take some tinkering with to find what works best for you but just have some faith in the wrap of the skate it will blow your mind when you do.

This topic is making me think I should jump on a pair of original Mako's for the price I saw them. Just can't decide if I should bite on them for the price, or get the Mako II. Aesthetically of course I like the II's better but I'm at the point in my life now where looks aren't everything haha.

This topic is making me think I should jump on a pair of original Mako's for the price I saw them. Just can't decide if I should bite on them for the price, or get the Mako II. Aesthetically of course I like the II's better but I'm at the point in my life now where looks aren't everything haha.

Completely agree with what you're saying. The only thing I will say as to why you should go with the mako2 is because the first generation makos had a couple of design flaws that effected the overall durability of the skate. I can only speak for myself when I say I have been in the mako 2 for over a year and have never been happier. Granted I agree the price is insane and it all comes down to how much you play and at what level.

My nasty mega sized foot pic just made me cringe - sorry fellas! I posted it via phone and didn't realize the size Imgur presented it as. Fixed.

Anyway - that was the only gripe I had with the skates.

So, the amazing parts, in bullets so I don't get all scattered...

-Fit like a tennis shoe with zero extra space. I couldn't be happier with the fit, before/after bake and after first skate. Nothing else I have owned comes close

-Love how I don't have to crank down the laces. First thing I noticed was the snug fit despite 100% less effort than my Vapors. Fingers didn't hurt after lacing up

-No lace bite across top of foot, which has been an issue plaguing me since childhood

-Zero adjustment time. Right when I hit the ice I felt comfortable, forwards and backwards. Heard about the pitch throwing folks off, but I had no issue

-Fast as shit. Easily the fastest I've been in skates. There are a few guys in the league that are faster than I, and they all have that signature wooshy/grind sound when they power forward, obviously their edge just straight up digging into the ice. I had that, for the first time ever.

-On the last point, my stride immediately changed. With somewhat weak ankles, I've always had to crank down skates to keep ankle support which killed forward flex. In the Makos my ankles felt perfect, but I still had all the forward flex I wanted

-Turning was dreamy. Most confident I've felt in a turn ever. I found myself less reliant on my stick skills as I could effortlessly weave between players

Overall, an amazing experience. I plan to throw some mole skin on the small blister and get back out today.

Thanks again for the recommendation. A week ago I would have never considered the Makos, now I doubt I'd ever consider anything else.

-Jim

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

Completely agree with what you're saying. The only thing I will say as to why you should go with the mako2 is because the first generation makos had a couple of design flaws that effected the overall durability of the skate. I can only speak for myself when I say I have been in the mako 2 for over a year and have never been happier. Granted I agree the price is insane and it all comes down to how much you play and at what level.

I'm not so much worried about durability as I am comfort. If I get the original's and they broke down by the time the II's come down in price (whenever that may be) I'd be ok with buying the II's on closeout. I'm not making the NHL any time soon so even if Easton came out with some incredible new technology for the next model I don't think I'd ever consider spending $800 on skates.

I'm not so much worried about durability as I am comfort. If I get the original's and they broke down by the time the II's come down in price (whenever that may be) I'd be ok with buying the II's on closeout. I'm not making the NHL any time soon so even if Easton came out with some incredible new technology for the next model I don't think I'd ever consider spending $800 on skates.

The biggest issue was actually having the top of the boot dig into the outer leg, just above the ankle. Some people were able to alleviate, others not. I still wear a neoprene sleeve on my leg when I skate in my makos. I'd personally just buy the mako 2 or the mako m8 at this point, but if they're cheap enough to warrant the gamble then the original mako is mostly fine as well.

My nasty mega sized foot pic just made me cringe - sorry fellas! I posted it via phone and didn't realize the size Imgur presented it as. Fixed.

Anyway - that was the only gripe I had with the skates.

So, the amazing parts, in bullets so I don't get all scattered...

-Fit like a tennis shoe with zero extra space. I couldn't be happier with the fit, before/after bake and after first skate. Nothing else I have owned comes close

-Love how I don't have to crank down the laces. First thing I noticed was the snug fit despite 100% less effort than my Vapors. Fingers didn't hurt after lacing up

-No lace bite across top of foot, which has been an issue plaguing me since childhood

-Zero adjustment time. Right when I hit the ice I felt comfortable, forwards and backwards. Heard about the pitch throwing folks off, but I had no issue

-Fast as shit. Easily the fastest I've been in skates. There are a few guys in the league that are faster than I, and they all have that signature wooshy/grind sound when they power forward, obviously their edge just straight up digging into the ice. I had that, for the first time ever.

-On the last point, my stride immediately changed. With somewhat weak ankles, I've always had to crank down skates to keep ankle support which killed forward flex. In the Makos my ankles felt perfect, but I still had all the forward flex I wanted

-Turning was dreamy. Most confident I've felt in a turn ever. I found myself less reliant on my stick skills as I could effortlessly weave between players

Overall, an amazing experience. I plan to throw some mole skin on the small blister and get back out today.

Thanks again for the recommendation. A week ago I would have never considered the Makos, now I doubt I'd ever consider anything else.

-Jim

Agreed with all of this. I actually had my teammates at the time ask if I had taken skating lessons. If that's not a testament to how much it helps to not be skating in pain anymore, I don't know what is.

That said, if I ever go back to skating out again I'll be buying VH, just because my makos actually now feel loose on my foot compared to my VH goalie skates.

Still, Mako is the best option on retail skates unless for whatever reason they just don't fit you, but that seems to be rare.

Got out for an hour and a half of pickup. I'll detail the experience when I can get in front of a keyboard, but for now, a question.

Felt a hot spot slightly above arch where a small bone protrudes on my foot. Best guess was it's behind the inside support rib that kind of runs up the lower side of the skate. This something my feet will get used to, or that I can fix via heat?

It was pickup with no subs so my first skate on them lasted an hour and a half straight.

X3TCUnam.jpg

Ewww. ;)

I had a similar issue when I got new skates recently though they weren't Makos. It was killing me at first but some combination of swapping in my Superfeet insoles and just breaking the skates in over time has totally eliminated it.

Aside from that, another glowing review. Man it's tempting to get some Mako 1's on clearance right now even though I just got new skates recently. I don't think I've ever bought new skates and actually liked them at first. The orange on the tendon guard is kind of gross but since its removable you could easily spray paint it or something. Anyone know a size comparison between the Mako and the most recent Supreme line? I'm a 9.5 D in the 180's.

Also does anyone have the M7 or M8? Are those still worth looking at?

Ewww. ;)

I had a similar issue when I got new skates recently though they weren't Makos. It was killing me at first but some combination of swapping in my Superfeet insoles and just breaking the skates in over time has totally eliminated it.

Aside from that, another glowing review. Man it's tempting to get some Mako 1's on clearance right now even though I just got new skates recently. I don't think I've ever bought new skates and actually liked them at first. The orange on the tendon guard is kind of gross but since its removable you could easily spray paint it or something. Anyone know a size comparison between the Mako and the most recent Supreme line? I'm a 9.5 D in the 180's.

Also does anyone have the M7 or M8? Are those still worth looking at?

Can't compare to Supreme because I can't wear those, but as far as everything I've heard the M7 and M8 will be the same amazingly comfortable fit, just a bit heavier due to lower quality materials.

Just ordered some M8's, merry Christmas to me. I got the same size as my Supreme's, we'll see how that works out. FYI, Ice Warehouse has a 25% off coupon that works on these skates (HM's current sale code excludes them), that pushed me over the edge to try them. I'm sure the Mako 2's are a bit nicer, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money on skates even on sale.

• Like 2

Just ordered some M8's, merry Christmas to me. I got the same size as my Supreme's, we'll see how that works out. FYI, Ice Warehouse has a 25% off coupon that works on these skates (HM's current sale code excludes them), that pushed me over the edge to try them. I'm sure the Mako 2's are a bit nicer, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money on skates even on sale.

Nice! I got mine 20% off in store with Hockey Giant, which would generally have the Mako 2 excluded. My shoe size is 9.5 to 10. I fit in the Mako 8.5, which the box has labeled as shoe size 10.

Don't tie your laces anywhere near as tight as you're used to. There's no reason to when you have such good wrap.

Went out to another pickup, this time empty rink all to myself. Only lasted about 10 minutes out before I had to stop from pain. Shame since I've never had the rink all to myself - ever.

I ended up getting Easton support on the phone, who got me in touch with one of their higher up fit guys. He said it was in an easily mold-able spot and I just needed a little heat via blow dryer/heat gun and the end of a screwdriver to push it out a few mm.

Should I come at it with heat from the outside or inside? Pic below of suspect location...

Avg4ZP4l.jpg?1

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

Nice! I got mine 20% off in store with Hockey Giant, which would generally have the Mako 2 excluded. My shoe size is 9.5 to 10. I fit in the Mako 8.5, which the box has labeled as shoe size 10.

Went out to another pickup, this time empty rink all to myself. Only lasted about 10 minutes out before I had to stop from pain. Shame since I've never had the rink all to myself - ever.

I ended up getting Easton support on the phone, who got me in touch with one of their higher up fit guys. He said it was in an easily mold-able spot and I just needed a little heat via blow dryer/heat gun and the end of a screwdriver to push it out a few mm.

Should I come at it with heat from the outside or inside? Pic below of suspect location...

Avg4ZP4l.jpg?1

I'd go from the outside because you will need to keep the heat gun about 8" + away and you will be able to work the area more accurately from the outside. Just remember to keep the gun moving, I use small circles around the area.

I'd go from the outside because you will need to keep the heat gun about 8" + away and you will be able to work the area more accurately from the outside. Just remember to keep the gun moving, I use small circles around the area.

Blow dryer enough heat to get it moving? I'd have to buy or track down/borrow a heat gun.

Avg4ZP4l.jpg?1

I happened to come across this video earlier about baking Makos and it describes how to relieve pressure points with a heat gun:

Hope that helps!

Edited by sectachrome
  • Like 1

I happened to come across this video earlier about baking Makos and it describes how to relieve pressure points with a heat gun:

Hope that helps!

Thanks man! Very helpful... as my pain is basically 1 inch above his example of arch relief. I'll go grab a heat gun and get on it.

Completely get it but much like Optimus said I think for the price point you're looking at I would go for the M8 instead of the original Makos

I had the original Makos and loved them. Unfortunately the boot cracked on the bottom within a year. They fit so well I decided to stick with Easton and got the M8's. They fit just as well, if not better. No arch pain like I had with the originals. Highly recommended.

Yea if I was going to buy Makos at this point I'd be going M8 for sure. No need to spend so much on the Mako II, for me at least. I only spent full retail on the original Mako because it was the only thing out at the time.

I was lucky enough to get offered a ridiculous product program directly from an Easton rep otherwise I would of gone with the M8 fora sure. As much as I love the mako 2 in my heart of hearts never skate is worth what they charged.

Well thanks to all of you I went and tried the Mako II's on yesterday.

My Mako II's arrive a few days from now. I got a really good deal on them thanks to eBay. So It definitely lessened the blow of spending money on new skates. Plus I feel more comfortable in the II's over any of the other model's in the line since I will be in them up to 15 hours a week coaching/playing etc. I'd rather have them last a little while. Now I need to try the CXN holder and decide if I should swap out for Edge Holders.

Well, I'm pretty picky about my gear, but the Mako skates are here to stay for a long long time....so it is warranted to have such a huge thread giving people a nudge towards those skates :)