Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wrangler

Chicago Blackhawks 2013

Crawford doesn't steal games. At best, he doesn't lose them. Lately, he hasn't stopped much. Even the pucks that hit him tonight ended up loose on the ice and he had to lunge to cover a number of them. As long as the other team doesn't have time and space to shoot, he's usually ok. You just can't expect your team to prevent every possible clean look at the net.

I have to agree. Even with the loss I come away with a feeling of "it's ok". However... Once again there is the issue of defence and goaltending. Not sure what the greater letdown was. Would be great to have Crawford be able to bail the D out when these games happen. The game winner was just a freak bounce off Oduya. Doubt that could be replicated. I just felt this game could have been 2pts had the D or goaltending showed up to support the offense. Both fizzled.

Crawford was way out of the net again on that one. Same problem he has had a lot this season, where he is unable to respond to any change of direction. Especially with his lack of mobility.

I feel like the goaltending issue comes up whenever the Hawks have a bad night because he isn't a game stealer. Is this why we've seen them go back to a crash type defense system where even the wingers come in so deep?

I feel like the goaltending issue comes up whenever the Hawks have a bad night because he isn't a game stealer. Is this why we've seen them go back to a crash type defense system where even the wingers come in so deep?

You don't have to steal a game when your offense scores four, you just have to make a couple big stops along the way. He hasn't been able to do that lately like Niemi did during the cup run. The weakness in net is a big reason for the system them play. On the shot that went wide, the D had to tuck the puck back into him again as he was facing the end boards and had no idea that the puck was in front of the net. Most nights, they have to go behind him and pull it off the goal line when he loses track of the puck.

The Hawks need one defensive pair that can go out and shut things down at the end of a period. They have four guys that are not capable of being those guys; Keith, Hjalmarsson, Oduya and Leddy. That leaves Seabrook and Roszival as the only potential pairing that could do that most nights. The problem is, Leddy and Keith together could be like throwing gas on a fire. I really don't see how they can fix the defensive issues without making a major deal and it still doesn't address the goaltending. Believe me, I want Crawford to prove me wrong. I'm starting to be afraid that Emery might be the best that they can do come playoff time and he has been a Jeckyl and Hyde type of player his whole career.

It is the Hawks goaltending. I've said it from day one of this season and no matter what both of their stats are they aren't elite goalies. Neither of them can steal games when needed. They've been lucky the team in front of them has been hot.

I do give a chuckle when I see Crawford's name tossed around with the word Vezina. While he has had some great games he is not a Lundquist, Rinne, or any other elite goaltender. Problem is....who do you replace him with? And how do you get the trade to happen? Are you willing to move a roster player?

I do give a chuckle when I see Crawford's name tossed around with the word Vezina. While he has had some great games he is not a Lundquist, Rinne, or any other elite goaltender. Problem is....who do you replace him with? And how do you get the trade to happen? Are you willing to move a roster player?

I'm not against moving a roster player for a number one, but I think a combination of picks and prospects would get it done for a rental.

Good point. And the Hawks are pretty deep in good prospects right now. I guess it depends on how into the future Bowman is looking.

Also - Sharp and Hossa are practicing, but in non-contact jerseys. Not looking good for having Hossa tomorrow.

Good point. And the Hawks are pretty deep in good prospects right now. I guess it depends on how into the future Bowman is looking.

Also - Sharp and Hossa are practicing, but in non-contact jerseys. Not looking good for having Hossa tomorrow.

You have guys like Hayes, Olsen and Pirri that any team would have interest in picking up.

sure, crawford has his problems but they won the cup with niemi. and going back to their days playing together here in rockford, neither one looked substantially better than the other. i just don't get how one can say they won't win a cup with crawford when they already did with niemi. now if hutton were the topic of discussion i'd be right there with you guys. but this isn't an icehogs thread, sooo...............

sure, crawford has his problems but they won the cup with niemi. and going back to their days playing together here in rockford, neither one looked substantially better than the other. i just don't get how one can say they won't win a cup with crawford when they already did with niemi. now if hutton were the topic of discussion i'd be right there with you guys. but this isn't an icehogs thread, sooo...............

Niemi didn't give up back breaking goals during the cup run. And it's not like they won because of Niemi, he just didn't kill their momentum and made a few key saves at key times. In a number of games this season Crawford has killed their momentum by giving up questionable goals at critical points of the game. With a healthy team in front of him, they may be able to make up for some of his play but I don't think it will happen.

Dont' know. Hossa was placed on the injured list retroactively, making a roster spot available.

I'm happy the Blackhawks are moving their feet today. Two more periods to go, though.

I wondered about showcasing Morin as well. It's always tough with Q. Could just be shaking up the lines due to some lackluster play the last few games.

But also saw the Hawks were in trade talks with Islanders on Visnovsky until he resigned. So Bowman is having talks with teams. And I'm sure I spelled that name wrong.

Bowman's always talking. But just because the Penguins are making moves doesn't mean that anyone else absolutely has to.

I wondered about showcasing Morin as well. It's always tough with Q. Could just be shaking up the lines due to some lackluster play the last few games. But also saw the Hawks were in trade talks with Islanders on Visnovsky until he resigned. So Bowman is having talks with teams. And I'm sure I spelled that name wrong.

Interesting that the Visnovsky info comes out and the Oduya/Hjalmarsson pairing is broken up. Maybe one of them goes back to Calgary for Bouwemeester?

Kipper and Jay for Hjalmarsson, Crawford and some combination of Hayes, Morin, Pirri and picks (two of the four options) would be a nice deal for the Hawks if they could convince Kipper to come over

Crawford will start tonight. Hossa and Sharp are reported to be doing well, but will not play tonight.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Blackhawks have a deal to trade the Sharks a fourth-round draft pick for Michal Handzus. The deal is reported to be awaiting league approval.

Crawford will start tonight. Hossa and Sharp are reported to be doing well, but will not play tonight.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Blackhawks have a deal to trade the Sharks a fourth-round draft pick for Michal Handzus. The deal is reported to be awaiting league approval.

Fourth line of Kruger, Handzus and Frolik in the playoffs?

They need someone to win some faceoffs, maybe he can help. He's got 1 goal, 1 assist, averages 13:32/game, -9 rating, and 55.6% on faceoffs, for the season. I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw one of the youngsters play ahead of him in the playoffs, at least some of the time.

There's still no telling whether Bowman's got another move or two to make yet.

I'm glad they are addressing the face off issue. It has been pretty dreadful outside of Toews.

Per PuckDaddy.com the other guys are not so hot. . . . Dave Bolland (45.1), Marcus Kruger (44.9) and Andrew Shaw (42.8) in the circle.

Oh, and I did see Bollig was sent back to Rockford.

They need someone to win some faceoffs, maybe he can help. He's got 1 goal, 1 assist, averages 13:32/game, -9 rating, and 55.6% on faceoffs, for the season. I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw one of the youngsters play ahead of him in the playoffs, at least some of the time.

There's still no telling whether Bowman's got another move or two to make yet.

I like Handzus a lot. He is a big guy that mucks around with the puck pretty well and can play in space. I think he's going to be a great fit as the team is currently constructed and gives them the ability to move a center if they decide to move Crawford (please, please, please).

He'll come in handy if Bolland's injury keeps him out.

Lucky to get two points tonight. Crawford made some good saves, but I sure didn't like those two that went in. And the skaters really let up in the third period, allowing the Predators to maintain pressure. It always scares me when I see the Blackhawks just cluster in the slot, and give up the perimeter for the opponents to move the puck freely. They end up chasing, always behind the play.

He'll come in handy if Bolland's injury keeps him out.

Lucky to get two points tonight. Crawford made some good saves, but I sure didn't like those two that went in. And the skaters really let up in the third period, allowing the Predators to maintain pressure. It always scares me when I see the Blackhawks just cluster in the slot, and give up the perimeter for the opponents to move the puck freely. They end up chasing, always behind the play.

Well, if they let pucks get through, it's even worse.