Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dumbpolak9

moving out

Start packing well in advance

pack up one room at a time

label each box with what is inside and where it goes in the new place

Don't give your friends beer until all of the boxes are inside and close to where you want them

Get movers. Get a flat guaranteed rate. Make sure they're insured and bonded. Keep a good eye on them. Trust me, it'll make your life so much easier. Moving is tough enough with al the bs to organize, it's worth the money.

I've done it enough times over the years, I've gotten pretty good at it.

Get movers. Get a flat guaranteed rate. Make sure they're insured and bonded. Keep a good eye on them. Trust me, it'll make your life so much easier. Moving is tough enough with al the bs to organize, it's worth the money.

Especially if you can hire these guys:

+1 to getting movers. I've moved myself many times, and had movers move me twice. Well worth every penny to be able to just hang out while they load/unload.

For our next move we'll likely add packing services too.

It sounds like this is his first foray away from home, "moving out". A group of friends and a Ryder truck should be more than enough to get him out of his folks house. My biggest tip is to remember that rent/mortgage is only one of many expenses. Make sure you have plenty of money left over in case you want to eat, put gas in your car, or turn on the lights or tv once in a while.

I agree with chippa, because when I hear "moving out," I don't hear "moving" as much as I hear "I'm leaving the nest."

One thing I remember from that time is you need to realize it took your parents years to accrue the things they have, whereas you might have to make shelves out of cinder blocks and wooden planks. It's okay, you'll slowly pick up nicer furniture over the years. Use Craigslist and yard sales and find bargains from people who really are just looking for someone to take the furniture off their hands, and not necessarily to make a killing.

Plunger is huge, but what I would say is keep track of boxes. If you have stuff that has been in a box for a while, you probably don't need it and will just move it from place to place in the box. I still do that and it drives my wife nuts.

Take a video or detailed pics of the place before you move in, especially if there are an issues with the place. Could help you get your deposit back when it's time to move out.

Yea definitely don't stress the furniture thing. My first "table" was an office door propped up by milk crates. While finding an actual cheap table is doable...this was free and funny.

really recommend a mover, and best if you can hire unpackers as well to help. We moved from Singapore to Perth, 56 boxes that I unpacked myself in a day.

Moved many times after that, and always had movers and unpackers.... just made everything so much easier.

It sounds like this is his first foray away from home, "moving out". A group of friends and a Ryder truck should be more than enough to get him out of his folks house. My biggest tip is to remember that rent/mortgage is only one of many expenses. Make sure you have plenty of money left over in case you want to eat, put gas in your car, or turn on the lights or tv once in a while.

Budget is huge for living on your own for the first time. You really learn the difference between "want" and "need", sometimes is takes a couple of huge credit card bills to figure that out.

Yea definitely don't stress the furniture thing. My first "table" was an office door propped up by milk crates. While finding an actual cheap table is doable...this was free and funny.

We used empty cable reels for tables, and 2x12s on cinder blocks for shelves. Salvation Army, Goodwill, and used office furniture stores are places to look, and we seemed to always find someone discarding old furniture at upgrade time.

EDIT: Make that 1x12s.

All sound advice for a first place. My first "recliner" was a dental chair they were getting rid of at a nearby office park.

thanks guys for all the tips. chippa is correct im planning on leaving the nest finally. thanks for the cheap alternatives for furniture I went to furniture stores and saw the prices and my jaw just dropped. Definitely going to keep these ideas in mind

If you're anywhere near a college campus, get a suitable vehicle and cruise around during end of semester and lease ending times. We are thinking of scooping some desks and desk chairs; doing the backyard in office casual this summer.