Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

2013 NHL Awards

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674113&navid=nhl:topheads

Ovechkin - Hart.

Crosby - Lindsay.

Huberdeau - Calder

Subban - Norris

Bobrovsky - Vezina

Ovi for Hart....what a joke...Johnny deserved that, leading his team to first post season since 07, he makes his teammates better and score goals.

Norris...even bigger joke.

Toews winning selke, compared to the other 2 finalists??

Otherwise pretty happy for the last winners, well deserved!!!

They need to have 2 awards for Defensemen; one for the best actual defensemen and one for the highest scoring. IMHO there is no way Subban is a better all around D-man than Suter.

Not a fan of what the Norris has become.

The position has become defined by points for some time now and I agree that it's disappointing. All American, All League in the NCAA.... all based on points. No one cares if you're a Rob Scuderi type (criminally underrated at least back in college) and are solid as all heck. If you can score some points everyone knows who you are even if you get trampled on in your own end. It's pretty lame.

I really almost vomited when I saw Subban won the Norris. Lots of talent, just not enough respect and decorum for the game.

Paul Coffey won the Norris three times, being fascinated with offensive numbers is nothing new. Numbers make it easier to quantify and measure players against each other.

Paul Coffey won the Norris three times, being fascinated with offensive numbers is nothing new. Numbers make it easier to quantify and measure players against each other.

Why not just drop the "best all-around" part then?

If Mike Green ever wins the Norris I'm going to vomit.

I think he finished second to Duncan Keith.

Why not just drop the "best all-around" part then?

And then what would you base the award on, reputation? There are way too many guys that get lauded for being good defensive defensemen, when they are simply average all around players.

Since everyone has has gotten so stat happy and they track everything why not base it on a specific group of items; +/-, turnovers leading to goals, points, TOI, blocked shots, etc. In my opinion the Norris is about being the best all around D-man. That would be the person you put up against the other teams top players, put out on PK's & PP's. The one you put on the ice when the game is on the line and no time left. Lidstrom didn't win the Norris all of those times because he was the highest scoring D-man, he won because he was the best D-man.

The problem with that is that Lidstrom still wouldn't have come out on top if you based it on numbers like that. You have some awards where people vote on stats and others where people vote based on reputation. The awards don't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Basing the Norris on things like +/-, turnovers leading to goals, etc wouldn't give you the proper winner, either. Deserving candidates are usually playing around 24-27 minutes against the oppositions top players. That many minutes against that competition, the top defensemen likely aren't going to be leading the +/- race and will probably be guilty of more giveaways simply because they're on the ice so much and facing the best the other side has to offer.

The Norris has been the defensemen's scoring title for ages and I've just learned to live with it.