Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malcb33

55 Flex- Improves skate flex

I can't imagine superglue holding that.

On a somewhat related note, any ideas on securing the pads underneath the plastic? (not to you specifically)

Ok, no superglue. Any other ideas?

Can't imagine anything you could re-enforce it with after it has already snapped. Before that, maybe adding eyelets, but after the fact....

just made almost the exact thing for my skates and it works like a charm if you want more forward flex but still retain the stiffness of the boot these would seem the best way to go outside of having custom skates made

Random note, but Crowder was hired by the Calgary Flames about a month ago and is currently at the Development Camp. He brings an iPad on the ice and analyzes the prospects' stride. Might be seeing a few Flames wearing the 55Flex soon.

I do something that kind of works for me to help get more forward flex while still maintaining some lateral stiffness:

Tie skates as tight as I need all the way up until the top eyelet. The entire time my foot is planted in a neutral position on the ground. When I get to the top eyelet, I lean forward with my foot/leg as to simulate a forward flexing motion like I am putting down some force into the ice and accelerating forward. I then tie the top eyelet as tight as needed. This has proven to provide enough lateral stability for me, while giving me enough forward mobility in my ankle.

I have Vapor XXVs, and I really can't imagine going with any less stiffness than this, as my current method above gives me enough mobility while still maintaining lateral stiffness and heel lock.

Random note, but Crowder was hired by the Calgary Flames about a month ago and is currently at the Development Camp. He brings an iPad on the ice and analyzes the prospects' stride. Might be seeing a few Flames wearing the 55Flex soon.

Maybe that's why I haven't received any info about my order shipping from them (or any replies to status inquiries)? I may be forced to make some on my own.

EDIT: Nevermind... they showed up as I was leaving the house today.

I think it is more likely that you'll see Flames players with different stiffness setups in their skates.

I just made a set of these for myself , I prefer a stiff boot , but also wanted more forward flex and it feels to me like the best of both worlds and since there isn't as much stress on the boot now with the added forward flex I think it may even keep the boot from breaking down as quick

I think it is more likely that you'll see Flames players with different stiffness setups in their skates.

Why is that?

First, because many players go tongues in and you can't do that with the 55 flex. Also, players are reluctant to add a piece of equipment regardless of the benefits, real or perceived. Where pros can get a custom setup on their skates, they can get their's made to mimic the benefits of the 55 flex without bolting something else onto their skates.

I should also add that I wear my shin pads over the tongues of my skate, but I made my eyelet extension , I used an old skate for the material so basically it is literally like having the boot extended even when I tighten my skates the extension does not foldover in the front so it gives me maximum forward flex

Then he is getting zero benefit of tongues in which is shin pads covering top eyelets.

A lot of players cover the tongue with their shins without covering any of the eyelets. There's still some benefit to this, as there isn't any unprotected ankle exposed at the toe flick portion of the push as there is with some tongues out guys.

I just had my 12 year old son use them for the first time today. He has always had a stride that could stand to be longer. These definitely lengthened his stride some. He looked much more comfortable skating than he ever has. When he came off the ice he immediately told me that he liked them a lot (and coming from him that is significant because he has always in the past told me that he has hated every tweak to his skates that I have made). I have them on the inside of the boot. He played twice today. The first time was without the foam pads. He commented that he wasn't crazy about feeling the plastic and screws but that the improvement was worth it. In the second game we put the foam pads on. He said he liked it without the foam pads better. He has one more game today. I'm going to try them on the outside without the foam and see how he likes that. Then tomorrow I may try them on the outside with the foam.

On a side note, I put them on my Makos at the house and tried them on. In my opinion, there isn't any benefit to putting them on Makos. The ankle of the boot "wraps" too much to let the 55 flex do what it is intended to do.

I just had my 12 year old son use them for the first time today. He has always had a stride that could stand to be longer. These definitely lengthened his stride some. He looked much more comfortable skating than he ever has. When he came off the ice he immediately told me that he liked them a lot (and coming from him that is significant because he has always in the past told me that he has hated every tweak to his skates that I have made). I have them on the inside of the boot. He played twice today. The first time was without the foam pads. He commented that he wasn't crazy about feeling the plastic and screws but that the improvement was worth it. In the second game we put the foam pads on. He said he liked it without the foam pads better. He has one more game today. I'm going to try them on the outside without the foam and see how he likes that. Then tomorrow I may try them on the outside with the foam.

On a side note, I put them on my Makos at the house and tried them on. In my opinion, there isn't any benefit to putting them on Makos. The ankle of the boot "wraps" too much to let the 55 flex do what it is intended to do.

You might want to try them. You may find otherwise. They definitely do the trick for me.

You might want to try them. You may find otherwise. They definitely do the trick for me.

I don't know... when I put them on the my Makos the holes on the extenders were almost touching each other. I don't see how they could help. Are they not like that on yours?

They're "close", but not touching. As long as you can tie them without overlapping, they can do what they're supposed to. Maybe I just have thicker ankles than you, which is quite likely, but mine don't overlap. I remember thinking the same thing as you when I first put them on, that they were too close to do anything, but they worked.

If yours are indeed too close, maybe you should try the smalls.

They're "close", but not touching. As long as you can tie them without overlapping, they can do what they're supposed to. Maybe I just have thicker ankles than you, which is quite likely, but mine don't overlap. I remember thinking the same thing as you when I first put them on, that they were too close to do anything, but they worked.

If yours are indeed too close, maybe you should try the smalls.

The ones I tried (my son's) are smalls and they don't touch, but they are close enough that they don't seem like they would move the laces forward like the do on my son's EQ-50s. On his EQ-50s (which has ankles that are thick and stiff like most upper model modern skates) the extenders point pretty much straight forward. I couldn't feel any difference between having them in and not having them in (I didn't skate though). I'm not really looking for anything different though. I love the way my Makos feel and skate. I was just curious as to what difference my son would be feeling but I don't think that I got to feel what he is feeling. Before trying the extenders, I first tried having him not use the top eyelets, but he didn't like the extra lateral movement. He said this was great because he got more forward ankle bend but didn't loose side to side stiffness.

Just to update on my broken ones. I emailed and Troy got back to me asking for my address. He said he would send out a replacement. Haven't received them yet.

Anyone have their email address, their website comes up with an attack site warning?

I don't have an email other then the shopping cart company (which never replied to my questions) however, Troy Crowder did leave his phone number on page two of this thread.

I don't have an email other then the shopping cart company (which never replied to my questions) however, Troy Crowder did leave his phone number on page two of this thread.

Thanks!