Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hamstercaster

Kovalchuk retires from the NHL/Signs with KHL team

It sets a bad precedent. What if other players see this as a way out of contracts to go "home"?

The ones losing out are the fans, but we don't have enough power compared to the other groups.

If there is a stream of retirements, the NHLPA could use this in the next CBA clash. Then the KHL would be the viable alternative (like the WHA was in the '70s) that the NHLPA needs.

The NHL has to be profit-driven in the forseeable future because of the state of the North American economy (although this could change) and the difficulty in getting investors and owners (although this could change too). The KHL is run by owners flaunting their wealth, and their teams don't need to be profitable.

A smart move for the NHL would be arranging some kind of partnership with the KHL for some kind of a global league.

With the time difference between North America and Russia, is the KHL really in any danger of stealing fans away from the NHL, even if a few big name players leave? Seems a far fetched idea.

With the time difference between North America and Russia, is the KHL really in any danger of stealing fans away from the NHL, even if a few big name players leave? Seems a far fetched idea.

Fans don't count and have no power in all of this.

Players and Owners are the rare commodities.

More importantly, star players are the rarest commodities. There aren't enough of them for the existing 30-team NHL.

If star players have a viable alternative to the NHL (e.g. the KHL), the NHL will have less bargaining power at the next CBA.

More importantly, star players are the rarest commodities. There aren't enough of them for the existing 30-team NHL.

If star players have a viable alternative to the NHL (e.g. the KHL), the NHL will have less bargaining power at the next CBA.

Interesting point, hadn't thought of that.

The NHL doesn't want to lose it's total monopoly on professional hockey. The KHL poses a threat to take away a little of that market share. No one wants to give market share, even if it is a 'little bit'.'

Here, I changed the thread title. Hope everyone's happy now?

Like I said earlier, when the news was announced, there was nothing about him going to the KHL even though everyone probably knew it was quite probable.

That being said, like many, this thing seems to benefit both parties. I'm sure Lou and the owners certainly don't mind parting with that contract. Sure Kovalchuk helped sell tickets but probably not nearly enough that would have been needed for the Devils to stay afloat. I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Ovechkin doing the same thing in the near future. Hasn't he mention something to that effect during the lockout?

If the KHL was going to have an impact on NHL/NHLPA relations then it already would have been experienced in the negotiations during the latest lockout. Unless a huge number of North American and non former Soviet bloc Europeans jump ship to the KHL, there will be an extremely minimal effect on NHL business.

Here, I changed the thread title. Hope everyone's happy now?

Heard this morning that his sister is on record saying after he turns 35 and NHL rights open up again and he is an UFA, he is leaving the possibility of an NHL comeback open. I assume this means he is not filing retirement paperwork with the League.

So, "Kovalchuk LEAVES the NHL..." may still be a better title than "...Retires from..."

But we're really just splitting hairs and speculating at this point.

Heard this morning that his sister is on record saying after he turns 35 and NHL rights open up again and he is an UFA, he is leaving the possibility of an NHL comeback open. I assume this means he is not filing retirement paperwork with the League.

So, "Kovalchuk LEAVES the NHL..." may still be a better title than "...Retires from..."

But we're really just splitting hairs and speculating at this point.

Unless it has changed, after one full year off, they can come back from retirement without problems.

I thnk it changed under the New CBA. From what they were saying on the radio yesterday. His rights stay with NJD for the next 4 years, then when he turns 35, his rights go away and he is UFA.

If the KHL was going to have an impact on NHL/NHLPA relations then it already would have been experienced in the negotiations during the latest lockout. Unless a huge number of North American and non former Soviet bloc Europeans jump ship to the KHL, there will be an extremely minimal effect on NHL business.

Ovechkin had threatened doing exactly this, but didn't follow through. Up until now, the KHL hasn't gotten a star player in his prime to shun the NHL in favour of the KHL. Kovalchuk is showing that a star player in his prime sees the KHL as a viable alternative to the NHL; the existence of a viable alternative strengthens the NHLPA's hand.

If this continues, I see this as an event similar to Bobby Hull's going to the WHA.

Fans in NHL cities aren't going to start shunning their home teams in favor of KHL teams. Until that happens there is no impact on the NHL's bargaining position.

"You want to play im Russia? Fine. There are plenty of guys lining up for your spot and ticket sales and viewership won't budge."

KHL on its best day is only AHL level hockey. Swedish Elite League is considered by many to be a higher quality league.

Correct.

And we saw what happened to the WHA...

Yes... the WHA forced the NHL to merge in 4 (?) teams (I don't recall), and those teams' contracts affected the NHL owners' power over the players, i.e. the players were no longer serfs.

Similarly, the AFL forced the NFL to absorb some teams and increase salaries.

Fans in NHL cities aren't going to start shunning their home teams in favor of KHL teams. Until that happens there is no impact on the NHL's bargaining position.

"You want to play im Russia? Fine. There are plenty of guys lining up for your spot and ticket sales and viewership won't budge."

The NHLPA needs enough star players to have a viable alternative in order to play more than its "stall" card in negotiations. Fans don't impact this.

If the best players in the world end up in the KHL, the NHL's goal of an American TV deal and guaranteed profitability for all teams takes a big hit.

And the KHL, in it current state, has been a "viable alternative" for the last 4-5 years. If there was going to be an impact then it would have been felt in the last NHL/NHLPA negotiations. The fact is that the KHL just isn't the kind of draw folks over here think it is. When you check out the scoring leaders and guys like Kevin Dallman are at the top of the defensemen list, well, not exactly drawing star power over there. Plenty of North American bubble players head over for the payday and wind up back, usually after just one year (and sometimes not even that long). They decide riding the buses in the "A" with a chance at an NHL job is a better alternative than the higher, tax-free salaries of the KHL.

There is no PA or CBA with the KHL it is the owners way or the highway. Substandard travel and lodging plus alot of incompetent people working for the league and teams. KHL is pretty much a toy for a bunch of wealthy Russians.

After 3 years retirement he can file to come back as a free agent. Any team that would take him would be foolish and would deserve any screwing he gave them.

You'd be foolish not to take a player of his caliber if it was something like a one or two year deal (and guaranteed someone would be willing to give a longer term than that, seeing as Kovalchuk is 100x the player than say, David Clarkson is). When he plays, he competes, which a lot of people questioned during his Atlanta days. If anything else he became a more well rounded player during his time with NJD and if under contract he's a huge asset.

As for the situation itself, I really don't mind his decision. Granted he is walking away from a contract, which by definition seems wrong, but it removes the Devils financial obligation to pay him as many have mentioned. On the flip side, I've heard countless stories of franchises sticking it to players as if they are pieces of meat, so I really don't mind when the "sticking" goes the other way. There are a select few Lidstroms, Sakics, Yzermans with obvious loyalties to one organization, but for 99% of pro athletes, if I'm them I'm looking out for my own ass above all, given the hypercompetitive, "what have you done for me lately" culture that has become prevalent.

And the KHL, in it current state, has been a "viable alternative" for the last 4-5 years. If there was going to be an impact then it would have been felt in the last NHL/NHLPA negotiations. The fact is that the KHL just isn't the kind of draw folks over here think it is. When you check out the scoring leaders and guys like Kevin Dallman are at the top of the defensemen list, well, not exactly drawing star power over there. Plenty of North American bubble players head over for the payday and wind up back, usually after just one year (and sometimes not even that long). They decide riding the buses in the "A" with a chance at an NHL job is a better alternative than the higher, tax-free salaries of the KHL.

In the last 4-5 years the KHL was an alternative, but not a viable one. As somebody else has pointed out, its skill level is of lower calibre than those of other leagues.

If enough of the star players shun the NHL for the KHL, i.e. if Kovalchuk is the first of many instead of being a singular exception, then the KHL becomes a viable alternative in terms of its level of competition. It has the potential to be a much better league than it is today, and its European locations could be a draw for European-bred players. Most importantly, if their owners aren't obligated to be profitable, and if the tax situations do not change, there is more money for the star players.

When the AFL was formed they were treated as a minor league, but by getting enough star players (money again, over what the NFL owners were willing to pay their serfs) onto the Jets, Raiders, etc. they forced a merger by 1970. The Jets won Super Bowl III, and the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV. Yes, the KHL is minor league now, but it has great potential.

The other thing you're missing with your AFL and WHA examples, they weren't halfway around the world and they were drawing North American talent. The NHL isn't too concerned about losing some Russians, evidenced by the fact that fewer are drafted each year.

On a hockey talk show one host asked the other to name some high caliber Russian players that could defect and hurt the NHL. The only one the could really think of that might go over would be Ovie. I really could think of any superstars other than Malkin and Datsyuk and I don't think either one would leave. Maybe when Datsyuk's contract up and he is ready to retire from the NHL he might skate in the KHL since it is not as physically demanding.