Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Composite sticks are generally supposed to be more durable than wood sticks, but we've all seen top-end twigs snap like... well, twigs. However, there are some sticks out there that are known for their exceptional durability. The Easton Synergy ST is a universally-recognized one, but there is also the Sher-Wood T90, and some would even say the Bauer Supreme line. However, small manufacturing defects or exceptionally well-made batches, along with a multitude of other factors, can alter the durability of any stick. An ST could last several seasons or snap after 10 games.

What sticks do you find hold up better than most? Is there a stick which you just can't seem to break? Personally, my Sher-Wood Nexon 6 is an absolute tank. 90 flex, square corners, extremely boxy shaft dimensions (literally rectangular). It feels like you're holding something indestructible. It has held up for nearly 2 years of use now, with some chipping and slight blade cracks, but it's still stiff and strong. Great for slapshots with the Ryan curve, despite the supposed low kick point (I'm thinking it's more of a traditional taper low-mid kick).

TL;DR: Tell us about your high-durability stick!

If you can find an old TPS R6 from 2007 or 2006. Mine was a tank. The blade broke after a few years but I still use it as a shaft

In my opinion, you either break sticks or you don't. I have yet to break a composite stick (and I've had at least 20 of them, lol) during my 3+ year "career". A blade on one pro stock S19 went soft, that's all. As a kid I broke a lot of wood sticks though due to poor technique.

I agree with jsk81. I've broken one composite stick and that was my first z9. Otherwise I normally note durability in the toe and heel areas. My 11k takes a lot of abuse as my go to Dman stick and that thing stands up well, he'll the wrapping is peeling off but no signs of other damage

Conversely my warrior diablo heel was pretty much shot a few weeks in

I do agree that the blade is usually the weakest point in the stick. My 6k (great stick, very light and great feel) has a huge crack down the bottom of the blade. I also had an 11k which snapped in the middle of the blade (that's more because I had poor slapshot technique though). The only stick I've broken in the shaft was an SE6 75 flex broken near the fuse point.

My miken broke on the shaft from a wicked two hander it took. My 6k toe chipped nasty after 1 game but still exists with repairing

I've only broken one composite stick. The stick already had a small crack just above the heel from blocking a slapper, and still lasted another 3 months of play before it broke during a really rough game.

I believe its really a matter of technique.

Played with my Miken for one year. Never broke - I never break sticks. Gave my Miken to a buddy after he broke his stick on a shift and he broke it in 20 seconds. He always breaks sticks. Nuff said.

Entry-level/mid end sticks made with heavier (but more durable) materials will outlive their lightweight, high performance counterparts.

It's like buying a Toyota vs Ferrari. Do you want something that is cheap to buy, not as exciting but reliable vs something built for performance, more expensive but needs more frequent servicing?

I've got a Sher-Wood T75 95 flex that I've been using for a while now and it's holding up great. I took a decent shot right off the shaft tonight and it held up great. It's my first OPS and I'm liking it so far.

I have a CCM Vector, v10 I think it's called, pro stock that just will not break. It's silver and has the old/classic CCM logo. I played with it for about 4 years and I take a ton of slap shots at stick and puck. Even though a piece of the shaft broke off right along the heel of the blade, it still will not break. The fibers in the blade are pulling out from the top of the blade and the toe every time I pull the tape off the blade to re-tape it.

I use mostly 2 pieces. 11k, One 95 and TO shafts/blades have been great. Tapered/standard TPS XN10 shafts, (if you can find one) last me quite a while, too.

I've seen several others who have liked the durability of the Easton ST. I haven't used one, though.

Ive had terrible luck with retail sticks breaking. However my pro stock history has been quite the opposite. Have only broke two and that was because of someone falling on the shaft of on and another was an idiot stomping on the blade in the corner.

I use the 2 piece U+ CS blade/shaft combo, and the shaft is a tank. I was on the ice for a minimum of 3 hours every week day last season and took at least 200 shots a day. Although I went through about 8 blades, the shafts themselves are just starting to soften up after about just under a year of use.

Easton ST - the blue one. I also agree that either you are a stick breaker or you are not. I have only had one stick break, a TPS stick and it was mostly from a tomahwak chop I delivered to another players stick because he was running around on the ice being a jerk with his stick and not getting called for it.